• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

OK ... deep breath! These are my efforts (1 Viewer)

Include yourself amongst the 'real' artists Deborah. The pigeon studies are fab! The left hand bird in middle sheet is particularly good.

I hate sketching with others looking on too, give me a nice quiet hide anytime. That's a big advantage with Elmley, the walk to the hides is quite a long one and it means there are fewer people about usually. I've 'painted' at shows in the past and was due to do it again this year, but I always make sure I spend more time talking to people than actually painting!

Please keep showing your sketches for us to enjoy on here, and we'll try not to peer over your shoulder and make you nervous!

Woody

They are really lovely Deb. Seems alot of us are shy about working 'out in the open'. Me too- although I did work from the scope with a small discrete sketch book when I went out with the bird club the other evening. No one took any notice - they were too interested in the real thing thank goodness.

There's always that hesitation in pulling out the sketchbook when I'm in a busy place. Once I get into things, though, I tend to become very absorbed in what I'm doing and forget they're even there. I'm always amused by the reactions of other birders -- they always seem so surprised to see this sort of activity, even the photographers. I rather like having a hobby that's all my own, although sometimes while I'm out in the field I really do feel like the only birder in the province who carries a sketch pad!

Adore the pigeon sketches, especially that second page. And good for you taking the time to get a good look at those feet! I'm horribly neglectful of feet, tend to just be a messy scrawl connecting the bird to a branch (I always find them the hardest part of a bird to get right, perhaps that's why I omit them!)

Just found this thread and you certainly are an artist, please don't run your work down. True I speak as one who has no artistic tallent of her own but I am sure that is why I appreciate others who do. I especially love the HGs and from page one the heron and dipper. Please do continue to add more of your work for the rest of us to enjoy.

Gillian

Just found this thread and you certainly are an artist, please don't run your work down. Please do continue to add more of your work for the rest of us to enjoy.

Gillian

I'm selectively quoting Gillian here, but I must agree. I generally don't draw in public due to awkwardness of materials. (Couldn't care less about other people's attitudes) However, Deborah, if this is what you are capable of in a "mere" (and I use that term loosely-so loose that it will fall off soon) sketches, I would think that a full piece would be a truly intimidating standard for the rest of the artists out there! :t:

Just found this thread and you certainly are an artist
Gillian

Ooh er ...|:$| |:$|

Thanks Gillian, Woody, Jomo & Wendy - well continuing to find a balance between being totally intimidated and totally inspired by everyone else's creative output:

I tried to work up a couple of gull watercolour & pencil sketches for a longterm painting idea - still need a lot more time spent on Gulls I think for a convincing painting but guess it's a start. Went to the beach and collected a load of pebbles, weeds and stuff which is on a tray now in my bedroom so will practice more with this too before attempting anything more ambitious

- they're actually quite large and I had to photograph with flash rather than scan it directly to computer, so it hasn't reproduced very well - hope you get the idea though

Attachments

• HGpaintDRAFT1.JPG
    HGpaintDRAFT1.JPG
    124 KB · Views: 91
  • hgpaintDRAFT2.JPG
    hgpaintDRAFT2.JPG
    130.9 KB · Views: 75
Last edited:
Get the idea OK - thats really great. Love the colours and the composition and I really envy people who work from their imagination. So far I have always painted whats in front of me with few changes- perhaps I should be more adventurous like you.

Great to see such in-depth study going on, Deborah. You're really getting these birds right - the second page here is particularly excellent (as they all are).

I think you're getting some of that 'character' here - don't dismiss the gulls, they're doing it for me, anyway.

Hi Deborah.

I answered this thread a while ago, and as the thread has progressed the art has become better and better (no matter what the subject is it still counts)

I agree with what has been said on this thread a lot. :t:

D: I just love your drawings they are all excellent, so try not to see your abilities in a bad light. Okay we all get bad art day's, but never let that put you off enjoying what you do ever. :t:

I know in my own mind that people either have that flair, or they do not. I believe it is either something you have or do not. On the whole it is not something that you can train yourself to do, as I think it would be difficult to achieve.

From personal experience, both my parents are very artistic - my mother used to run a workshop at home, make jewellery, sell paintings and pottery models for many years (mostly birds and wildlife). This was on top of having a full time job (not connected with art). My dad's job was connected with technical drawing too. My brother could not draw at all!

From my own personal experience I enjoy art, and because of this I have worked in a technical drawing field all of my life. So I have a job which mixes work and hobbies in one. So art is underestimated in what ways you can use it to your advantage, and have it as a hobby at the same time. So it is having the best of both worlds, that is the biggest payback you can have.

So having an artistic background is something to be proud of, and most of all be proud of your achievements now.

Never give up and carry on learning more and more new techniques. See what you can achieve using other materials too. :t:

Art is the best, and most enjoyable thing to have in your life. It gives you a chance to express yourself, and what you feel inside. ;)

Love to see more of your works here. Will watch this space now. :t:

Strong comp Deborah and the use of props is a valid one (and works well for this piece). Don't be afraid to use your rference pics for how the detritus is strewn across the beach - it's a perfectly valid use of photography in my opinion. look forward to watching the progression. Great stuff.

Art is the best, and most enjoyable thing to have in your life. It gives you a chance to express yourself, and what you feel inside. ;)

Well said, Kathy

I'd only say that perhaps a little more space around the gulls might have been beneficial: ie ..a little more sky and sea to let the gulls ''breath'' within the page (does that make sense?)

A good sized border would give the same effect.

Like it:t:

Matt

Beautifully composed and lit, those gulls. Loadsa life and again love the colourwork, great stuff Deb.

I'd only say that perhaps a little more space around the gulls might have been beneficial: ie ..a little more sky and sea to let the gulls ''breath'' within the page (does that make sense?)

You've added a second one!!

(you didn't spend all night doing that to keep me happy did you;) )

Matt

You've added a second one!!

(you didn't spend all night doing that to keep me happy did you;) )

Matt

lol ... no, but I had the same thought as you and did a couple more to 'widen' and 'deepen' the scape. Still working on rough drafts, have done another this morning and moved the sedentary gulls to left and moved far right gull in flight further out to sea. Off to the beach now to get some gull gizzes! (This is kinda catching this painting lark isn't it !!!! :-O :-O )

Ps. THANKS again for the all the comments - have been googling Lars Jonnsen's work - he's amazing!!

Last edited:
Slip a few more in while no one's looking;) ...

'orrible on the beach this morning, cold, grey and windy

Attachments

• cormorant.JPG
    cormorant.JPG
    60.3 KB · Views: 86
  • HGsaug08.JPG
    HGsaug08.JPG
    99.7 KB · Views: 79
Just found this thread by accident.
Why don't you put your pictures up into your Gallery, Deborah, where they would get a much wider viewing?
Alan

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back