• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

100-400 mm ? (1 Viewer)

More info from the same source: "Panasonic Leica 100-400mm f/4.0-6.3 Power OIS and weather sealed zoom lens." So it will likely be at least as fast as the panny 100-300 at 300mm plus, of course, the option to go to 400mm. Weather sealing also suggests it will be a higher end lens, which I think is good--need a higher quality option than the 100-300 for bird photography.

If Olympus ever comes out with their 300mm f4 (plus 1.4 teleconverter), will be a very interesting decision between the two. I'd probably stick with the zoom, inter alia, because I find zooming in and out often helps a lot in finding the bird in the viewfinder, and because I find the lower zoom range useful for insects, et al. But I'd wait to see reviews and see how they compare in weight.

Last edited:
Waiting for it as well, but doubt it will be before next summer ...
And would have prefered something like 150 500 ! :)

Last edited:
Just today stood next to a person using a nikon with a 80-400 lens. Seemed my crop factor meant that he did not have more reach (but maybe better quality, given that my setup is getting a little dated). I therefore think that the 100-400 is going to be enough to compete with some longer setups. It is not going to compete with the sigma 300-800 one of the other guys was lugging - but if that is your dream, then I believe it is already available for m4/3.

Niels

Now it would come next December or January, and at around $1500 :

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/56777031

And it is quite compact:

pan100400.jpg

from below video :
https://youtu.be/tynV1AGcmMo?t=9m56s

43rumours think it will be announced in February with a cost around US$2500. The current Amazon price for the similar Canon lens is US$2100 - I would expect the Pana-Leica to start at a similar point and eventually get down a little below. Quality is not coming for free!

Niels

At least the announcement and wait gives us time to save up, :-O

I currently use the 100-300mm panasonic lens but, in my experience, it is soft beyond 275mm. If this new 100-400mm lens is top quality and sharp right up to 400mm, I will gladly pay the premium. :t:

I expect I will go that way too. My concern is how much it will weigh.

But then, to utilize a new lens fully, I would have to get a newer camera with better AF, either the Oly em1 or the g7.

Niels

I expect I will go that way too. My concern is how much it will weigh.

But then, to utilize a new lens fully, I would have to get a newer camera with better AF, either the Oly em1 or the g7.

Niels

i would consider the long promised em1 mark 11, it should be a great choice.

If it is out that could be included in my considerations. I have a little reluctance going from pana menus to oly menus, that would be a learning curve.

Niels

Hi Niels and Doux, I have my eye on the Panasonic GX8 with its 20MP sensor and in-body-type stabilisation. I'm really hoping the new stabilisation system it utilises will improve my digiscoping efforts and make shooting hand-held at 800mm equivalent realistic.

The reason I mentioned the G7 is the dpreview statements about the AF being at least on par with the beginners level canon and nikon offerings, including C-AF. I have not read enough about the GX8 to know if the AF in that is the same. I like the regular dSLR shaped cameras.

The on board phase detection on the oly top model also is interesting.

Exciting times!

Niels

i just couldn't help noticing that Olympus have surrendered and finally convenienced that IBIS is not as effective as the lens IS for long lenses. that IMHO makes any camera body just as good as long as it got good focusing system, or as Neil said newer AF system.

Not so sure about that. It has more to do with $$, that is, being able to sell the lens to people who own cameras WITHOUT IBIS. I use the E-M1 with up to 560mm of un-stabilized glass on it and can hand hold shots down to 1/60 second, like this one:

PA233836.jpg

The E-M1 IBIS is a dream!

agree the IBIS of both the OM D5 and the EMD1 is great specially for video recording. and works great with a large and a bit heavy lens like the professional 40-150 mm/f2.8. but

but i think both the new laica and 300mm/f4 Olympus will be more heavy and larger.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back