• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

RSPB Middleton Lakes (3 Viewers)

A Dank & dull visit this pm (after a drizzly/dank trip to see the Bee Eaters)
4 Blacktailed Godwits, some in summer plumage, Dunlin, LRP, Redshanks & Juv.
Avocets & grown-up juv`s, together with many Swifts looking for insects!!!

A couple of pics to brighten the day-

1 BH gull looking for directions.;)
2 A new Twitchable Sign, One in the Car Park might encourage some here:-O

Richard

Attachments

• DSCF6030.JPG
    DSCF6030.JPG
    171.7 KB · Views: 58
  • DSCF6028.JPG
    DSCF6028.JPG
    280.2 KB · Views: 61
Here's one of the Black-tailed Godwits in summer plumage. I couldn't locate the older Avocet brood, they weren't on the reserve or the Hall Lake but they have been known to go missing and return later before. There was also a Common Sandpiper on the east scrape with all the other waders, including 4 LRPs.

Attachments

• IMG_20170630_074146-819x614.jpg
    IMG_20170630_074146-819x614.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 46
Last edited:
An evening stroll around the reserve produced Cuckoo, Gropper, 2 x Blackwits, Common Sand and more Redshanks than you could shake a stick at.

Six Blackwits were circling the reserve when I arrived which went down on JW south. All birds in summer plumage except one so probably the 4 from earlier in the week have been joined by more. There was a 7th bird on the gravel bar on JW North which had gone when I came out the hide and been replaced by a Curlew. Second Brood of Avocets still on East Scrape along with 3 new Redshank chicks only days old. Med Gull on North Pit.

Looks like the older Avocet brood may well have moved on now - unless anyone has seen them in the last couple of days. I couldn't find them on Thursday & they're not on the reserve or the Hall Lake today and I haven't seen or heard any reports. If anyone's seen them recently could they post it on here please?

10 Blackwits were on Jubilee North when I arrived at 8pm but by the time I had walked up the river path they had disappeared. May have gone to roost or headed on their way. On my return loop there was just a single bird on East Scrape. Looks like we are now down to 5 Avocet (4 chicks + 1 Adult) although I didn't check Hall Lake. Groppers still singing his heart out on Fishers Mill and almost showing well.

Attachments

• Gropper.jpg
    Gropper.jpg
    230.2 KB · Views: 89
61 species were seen today including Sparrowhawk, Hobby, Water Rail, 5 Avocet which flew out, 1 Black-tailed Godwit, 3 Redshank young still, 2 Green Sandpiper, 1 Common Sandpiper and 1 Grasshopper Warbler singing.
96 species were seen in June.

Tonight 2 Med Gulls on the gravel bar Jubilee North. Still 5 Avocet, at least 8 Redshank, 1 Common Sand and increasing numbers of Ringed Plover. I still haven't seen a Hobby on the reserve this year. 3 Little Egret Young on KWP Cliff Pool tonight - possibly come from the Heronry.

3 Black Terns seen by others over Dosthill @1.30pm. ( And apparently photographed) Grasshopper Warbler reeling, LR Plover & Ringed Plover, Common Sand, Redshank+ Juv. And 2 Summer plumaged Black Tailed Godwits East Screen. -------y hot!

Richard

Last edited:
3 Black Terns seen by others over Dosthill @1.30pm. ( And apparently photographed) Grasshopper Warbler reeling, LR Plover & Ringed Plover, Common Sand, Redshank+ Juv. And 2 Summer plumaged Black Tailed Godwits East Screen. -------y hot!

Richard

I can add a Hobby over Dosthill NR to that list. The 5 Avocet (1 ad 4 juv) are still there too.

Richard
I didn't go over the Dosthill side unfortunately but in the morning a Greenshank flew over calling and on JWs were a Little Grebe, 1 Snipe and a Dunlin. On the hall lake were 6 Oystercatcher, 1 Ring Plover and 2 Green Sandpiper.

Last edited:
I was surprised at 5:45 this morning to see 2 family groups of Avocets on Jubilee Wetlands. The usual group were feeding on the east scrape (1 ad & 4 juv) when I saw another group of 5 (1 ad & 4 juv) take to the air from the middle of JWs and fly to Fishers Mill. By the time I got to Fisher's Mill they had gone.
I wonder if the second group are the older brood that I haven't seen since they were on the Hall Lake on 22nd June (someone may have seen them over a couple of days after that I think, but not for 2 weeks now?) or are they an entirely different group moving through? If the former, I wonder where they've been hiding out?

Saturday evening

Black-Tailed Godwit, Dunlin, 5 Avocet - JW

Tonight

On the Gravel spit on JW North there were 12 Ringed Plover 5 LRP and a Dunlin. More LRP & RP elsewhere on JW including many young. 5 Avocet, 7 Redshank and a Green Sandpiper East Scrape. Young Little Egret West Scrape. Hall Lake 3 Green Sandpiper and a Redshank.

East Scrape was the place tonight - 9 Black-Tailed Godwits, 5 Dunlin, 4 Redshank, Green Sandpiper, Common Sandpiper with a strange white panel in one wing and a mixed group of 17 RP and LRP containing several juveniles. In the middle of JW was a Med Gull. On Hall Lake 2 Green Sandpiper and a Redshank.

What was noticeable was that no Avocets were present. Looks like they've all gone. 50% breeding success is not bad - 8 fully fledging from 16 eggs.

Final count of 19 Black Tailed Godwits tonight when they all took to the sky. 11 headed off south and 8 dropped back onto JW. Also on JW were 2 Dunlin and a Med Gull. On East Scrape - Green and Common Sandpiper. 20 plus Little Egret in the Riverside Roost.

Very quiet this afternoon. JW - 2 Blackwits, 6 Redshank (including the last brood of 3 that can now fly), 7 Ringed Plover & a LRP. North Pit - Green Sandpiper and the Common Sandpiper with the white wing.

Very few birds around, 1 adult and 1 juvenile Egyptian Goose on DNR, 1 Oystercatcher and 4 Redshank were the highlights, 13 Common Tern were fishing on DNR but no sign of the Bittern reported there on the 7th July.
A Ring-necked Parakeet was reported on the 15th July (150th species for the year).

Highlights today were 1 Black Swan, 2 Oystercatcher, 2 LRP, 3 Ringed Plover, 1 Dunlin, 1 Snipe, 3 juvenile Redshank, 2 Green Sandpiper and a Common Sandpiper.
Yesterday a Black-tailed Godwit was on JWs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back