• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk birding (16 Viewers)

See: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/WestPalBirds/message/5642

The flight call is similar to ‘our’ Crossbill and they also have a call like the ‘trumpeting’ Bullfinches.

The UK has had two, so far. It’s just 300 miles from Denmark, across the North Sea (Nordsoe); surely, some more of these ‘thousands’ will make the crossing- I hope.

You would think we would get more but these things have a funny way of not happening! Can see Norfolk being a bit far south and most of the sightings being from the Scottish borders Northwards, can't wait to be proved wrong though!

Hello to everyone I am a new member and I hope to be an active member in the months and years to come. I have a general interest in wildlife and conservation and a specific interest in photography (novice digiscoper) and birds of prey. I am spending a week in north Norfolk at the begining of September and wonder if anyone can suggest any areas where I stand a reasonable chance of daytime views of Barn Owl. I understand that many ringers are reporting second broods this year so I am hoping that daytime hunting, weather permitting, will still be necessary in order for the adults to satisfy the appetite of the growing chicks. Sadly, I will not be able to devote the whole week to my quest as I have a wife and two dogs that will require my attention from time to time but any suggestions that might incorporate a dog walk (well trained and very well behaved dogs) would be ideal and very much appreciated.

Blakeney is a good bet - we saw two at one time last week after the strong winds had dropped and one the day after... about 7pm though, I doubt they'll be out much earlier than that. The second time it nearly flew right over us, only diverting from its hunting course when it realised we were in its way. Sadly we hadn't taken a camera.

If you're going that way drop me an email and I'll tell you where there's a good chance of bearded tit fledglings in the evenings too.

After two hours of checking Dunlin after Dunlin finally at 9:15 I saw the White-rumped Sandpiper, once onto the bird it showed very well! from 10am onwards it was joined by a Curlew Sandpiper and amongst the Dunlin a Little Stint was present too! I saw 3 more Wheatears today along the shingle beach and a Red Kite drifted over. What was really nice and interesting was I even got to hear the White-rumped Sands shrew/vole/mouse like call...

Last edited:
Titchwell August 2nd

Today’s highlights

Spoonbill – 2 on fresh marsh
Common sandpiper – 1 on fresh marsh
Spotted redshank – 1 on fresh marsh
Pintail – 1 on fresh marsh
Green sandpiper – 4 on fresh marsh
Wood sandpiper – 1 on reserve
Turtle dove – 1 over fresh marsh
Yellow wagtail – 1 on fresh marsh

Paul

Hello to everyone I am a new member and I hope to be an active member in the months and years to come. I have a general interest in wildlife and conservation and a specific interest in photography (novice digiscoper) and birds of prey. I am spending a week in north Norfolk at the begining of September and wonder if anyone can suggest any areas where I stand a reasonable chance of daytime views of Barn Owl. I understand that many ringers are reporting second broods this year so I am hoping that daytime hunting, weather permitting, will still be necessary in order for the adults to satisfy the appetite of the growing chicks. Sadly, I will not be able to devote the whole week to my quest as I have a wife and two dogs that will require my attention from time to time but any suggestions that might incorporate a dog walk (well trained and very well behaved dogs) would be ideal and very much appreciated.
Thornham Harbour, looking across to Holme, is where I usually go to see barn owls, mainly at dusk though. There also lots of dog walkers along the sea wall there as well.

And there will be . . .

“. . . swarms of ladybirds upon you and your wardens, on your people and into your houses. The houses of the Norfolk people will be full of ladybirds, and even the ground where they are.” (with apologies to the Old Testament)

It looks as if we’re heading for a repeat of last year’s plague. Photo taken on the East Bank at Cley, today.

And for those doomsayers who do not believe, coming to a feeder near you (I hope):
“There was a red-rosy, feather-fowl named ðwœ-Barr. He dwelt far in the east, in the pine-plenty land of the Russ. One morn he, and many with him, flew west, towards the Viking Sea. Calling the ‘chip-chip’ , as did his cousins of the two-twisted beak, he waveringly westered further over the wind-worn waves.

Reaching the flat-fen and fair-field country of the North Folk, he rested awhile, softly sounding his trumpeting ‘toot, toot-toot’ to draw his white-winged flight-friends to him.”
(with apologies to Norse sagas)

Attachments

• 005pse_edited-1.jpg
    005pse_edited-1.jpg
    236.9 KB · Views: 221
Ladybirds

An amazing spectacle today, walking up east bank in overcast muggy conditions, every available plant had one or many on it. Then a look up in the sky revealed literally hundreds flying in a westerly direction. Lets hope there are more aphids for them to eat this year so they don't turn carnivorous.

Good evening.

I was wondering if anyone could help me.
I have seen a herring gull with a red ring on its left leg (with a smaller metal ring on the other) a few times over the last few weeks. I managed to get the details from the ring yesterday.
It had the letters KBA on it.
Does anybody know where I could get any info on this gull.
Many thanks
Simon

Thanks James.
Will have a look now.

I have sent a message via that website. That type of code is used at Landguard in Suffolk.
Many thanks
Simon

Last edited:
Just seen this on RBA:
Norfolk c144.Yellow Wagtails Burgh Castle roosted at Glebe Marshes this evng +5.Whimbrel
Crikey! Thoughts? I am aware of the odd sighting from the Acle Straight this summer,but that is some count. Local breeding explosion or post breeding dispersal?
Wagtail I refer to,not the Whimbrel in this case.

Surlingham Church Marsh quiet of late,Little Owl and Egret regular though and the first Snipe of the Autumn this eve. 2 Purple Hairstreaks tonight were tatty but a pleasure.
Cheers,
Jim.

Jon- very much enjoyed your Crossbill post from earlier.

Just seen this on RBA:
Norfolk c144.Yellow Wagtails Burgh Castle roosted at Glebe Marshes this evng +5.Whimbrel
Crikey! Thoughts? I am aware of the odd sighting from the Acle Straight this summer,but that is some count. Local breeding explosion or post breeding dispersal?

Surlingham Church Marsh quiet of late,Little Owl and Egret regular though and the first Snipe of the Autumn this eve. 2 Purple Hairstreaks tonight were tatty but a pleasure.
Cheers,
Jim.

Jon- very much enjoyed your Crossbill post from earlier.

Saw around 40 or so earlier in the year at Cley, that was back in May though!
Must be a fantastic sight...If you like Yellow

Just seen this on RBA:

Pretty sure this is a regular late summer roost site for Yellow Wag - if you have access to a few Norfolk Bird Reports you should come across similar records from previous years.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back