• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

What is the proper plural for Canada Goose & Tufted Titmouse? (2 Viewers)

scampo said:
Trust an English teacher (and the OED)...!

(-;

Canada geese

Titmice

Keith's point about using the singular form as the plural works for some species, e.g. "There are six sparrowhawk in the air." but you could not say, "There are six titmouse in the wood." Titmice it has to be.

But the plural of the pointing device you are now holding in your hand is...?

Btw, the phrase "tufted titmouse" is not a proper noun; it is a common noun and requires to be written with initial lower case letters. Now, if you had a pet titmouse called Eric, then "Eric", with a capitalised "E" is the proper noun, i.e. the given name for a specific individual within a species.

Ok Steve, I trust you. But why, if titmouse plural is "titmice", isn't mongoose plural "mongeese"? I spent days persuading my husband it is mongooses. Why not titmouses? Ok, the OED says so. English Language ....... I despair!!!!

Cheers

Nerine

scampo said:
Btw, the phrase "tufted titmouse" is not a proper noun; it is a common noun and requires to be written with initial lower case letters. Now, if you had a pet titmouse called Eric, then "Eric", with a capitalised "E" is the proper noun, i.e. the given name for a specific individual within a species.

Why? I seem to remember quite a while ago that there was a discussion about this and I think that by convention, bird (and indeed other animal and plant/fungi etc) species are capitalized, so although one would write 'there are several species of duck out there', one would write, 'there are 20 Tufted Duck out there'.

A quick trawl through the books on my shelves (not, I must confess, a very scientific study on my part, but I am not going to spend hours on the task) bears my instinct out on this.

There is controversy about the capitalization of common names.
AOU requires capitalization and I think it is the general practice in the birding community.
But many literary editors, botanists and general biologists do not capitalize common names or the species part of the latin name. Except where they contain proper nouns, i.e. Canada goose.
I believe it is practical to capitalize for clarity.

Last edited:
Nerine said:
Ok Steve, I trust you. But why, if titmouse plural is "titmice", isn't mongoose plural "mongeese"? I spent days persuading my husband it is mongooses. Why not titmouses? Ok, the OED says so. English Language ....... I despair!!!!

Cheers

Nerine

Mongoose is a loan word from Marathi, an Indian language. The Marathi word mangus has been corrupted into mongoose in English so the plural is mongooses.

David

David FG said:
Why? I seem to remember quite a while ago that there was a discussion about this and I think that by convention, bird (and indeed other animal and plant/fungi etc) species are capitalized, so although one would write 'there are several species of duck out there', one would write, 'there are 20 Tufted Duck out there'.

A quick trawl through the books on my shelves (not, I must confess, a very scientific study on my part, but I am not going to spend hours on the task) bears my instinct out on this.
There was a discussion about a year ago and it led nowhere much - but the standard English grammatical convention is perfectly clear, whatever idiosyncracies or instincts exist. This is that a proper name is an individual given name, whether it is a person, place, building, bird or anything else. A proper noun - some call it a naming noun - is always given an initial capital letter to distinguish it as an individual within a group. Common nouns are not capitalised.

If a part of a bird's name is borrowed from a proper noun, then it should retain its inital capitalisation, e.g. Eleanora's falcon. Some authorities choose to break with the convention and give initial capitals to all bird names. How this saves confusion, I do not know, although there are a very few occasions when it can help clarity, but these are rare and really quite obvious anyway; I rather think it's just one of those things - after all, English is about usage, not rules (but conventions are there for a useful purpose nonetheless). I don't know which guide you looked at but it varies. The Collins' guide does capitalise, I notice, choosing a non-standard approach.

Last edited:
Capitalisation is used by British Birds and it certainly does avoid confusion. There are numerous situations where this applies little grebe, common sandpiper - I could go on and on but this was "done to death" in the previous thread.

It is nothing to do with grammar and everything to do with convention - much like scientific names which are (by convention) italicised and the genus is capitalised.

jedku said:
AOU requires capitalization and I think it is the general practice in the birding community.
But many literary editors, botanists and general biologists do not capitalize common names or the species part of the latin name. Except where they contain proper nouns, i.e. Canada goose.
Looking through my many birding guides, it varies. I can't imagine why it should be "practical" at all - I suspect it started with a lack of knowledge of the standard convention and it has caught on in some quarters. It's like the use of the apostrophe - ignorance leads to misuse, but ignorance is a major engine driving language change and there's no stopping that!

David FG said:
But we (or rather mostly you) do say Florida Scrub Jay and Carolina Wren.

David, Katy,
I did a "thinking out loud" post on this name subject not too long ago. I just tried to find it but can't.
In brief there seems to be no particular pattern on place-named birds. Some countries and all States just use the country/state name; others add the adjectival. (And the only English county - Kent - has Kentish).
Same with other places - seas, rivers, mountain ranges, islands etc. - they're all inconsistant with this; I don't know why.
Halftwo

robinm said:
Capitalisation is used by British Birds and it certainly does avoid confusion. There are numerous situations where this applies little grebe, common sandpiper - I could go on and on but this was "done to death" in the previous thread.

It is nothing to do with grammar and everything to do with convention - much like scientific names which are (by convention) italicised and the genus is capitalised.
That is two out of hundreds of names, Robin - and it is always clear in context, I'd guess, what is meant. Context is all.

I suspect it is indeed to do with grammar as it is a part of morphology. Grammar itself is merely convention, of course.

Scampo, Robin,
Unless usage has changed the rules then Scampo is right - it should be lower case except for proper names. I, for one, break them as I think birds are important & therefore should be capitalised, so I write (incorrectly) Grey heron eg.!

David FG said:
But we (or rather mostly you) do say Florida Scrub Jay and Carolina Wren.
Yep, and California Thrasher, Arizona Woodpecker. I like what Halftwo said, just one of those inconsistencies in naming conventions.

halftwo said:
Scampo, Robin,
Unless usage has changed the rules then Scampo is right - it should be lower case except for proper names. I, for one, break them as I think birds are important & therefore should be capitalised, so I write (incorrectly) Grey heron eg.!
I kinda wish all parts of the common names -- of all taxa -- were capitalized. Would make it easier to understand whether someone is referring to "a" blue whale as the species or as a blue-colored whale. Ditto any species that uses a color or other common word, like, e.g., "Common" as part of its common name. ;) Is it a raven that's common or a Common Raven? :bounce:

Katy Penland said:
... Would make it easier to understand whether someone is referring to "a" blue whale as the species or as a blue-colored whale.
You say that leads to ambiguity? I have to say, I am very surprised.

scampo said:
You say that leads to ambiguity? I have to say, I am very surprised.
Without caps, yes, could definitely be ambiguous. If someone emails to me they've "seen a blue whale", or a "gray whale", are they talking about the species or about a large marine mammal that looks blue or gray?

Wonder why common names aren't capped to begin with. They're a proper noun, aren't they? Not scientific, but proper nonetheless. At least I've always looked at them as if they're proper nouns. ;)

Andrew Whitehouse said:
But do proper nouns need to be capitalised to avoid ambiguity, steve?

Yes. Why not america, britain and john? No one would be confused, so why capitalize at all?

Alternatively, why not capitalize all nouns - I believe German (german?) does this?

jedku said:

I agree. Whether it is strictly accurate or not it is common practice to capitilize bird names, we certainly do for the Cheshire and Wirral bird report.
As for plurals - definitely Canada Geese. I would use titmouse for singular and plural. I also agree with the idea that many bird names can be used either in the singular or plural.
As in Knot, Dunlin, Teal, Curlew etc. Dunlins just doesn't look right!

Andrew Whitehouse said:
But do proper nouns need to be capitalised to avoid ambiguity, steve?
They certainly don't, Andrew - but the use of capitalised letters was once linked to the nuances of meaning created by a word; and I suspect it still serves that purpose on occasion. In days of old it was a means of emphasising the importance of the thing being written about as well as to help to show where emphasis was required in texts that were to be read aloud. But even this was not fixed by rule or convention. The use of capitals was a fashion in England, in part: Germanic scripts were heavily capitalised, Italian scripts less so. The fixed "rule", like most grammar "rules", emerged during the late eighteenth and nineteenth centuries when universal literacy came about - it was deemed easier to teach a set of "grammar rules" then later, if you were able, choose to flout those rules for stylistic purposes, rather than to have no rules at all.

Lighter capitalisation began in the eighteenth century and nowadays - in typed rather than handwritten texts at least, with the deemed pressure of time and the need to press an extra key to switch to a capital letter - there is a move towards almost much less capitalisation being used. As always, however, this is context linked - whilst a lower case txt msg is fine, I doubt many would accept the Encyclopaedia Britannica capitalising erratically or not at all.

Last edited:
David FG said:
Yes. Why not america, britain and john? No one would be confused, so why capitalize at all?

Alternatively, why not capitalize all nouns - I believe German (german?) does this?
Well, words need to carry feeling as well as meaning and clarity; I would say that the use of a capital can add a nuance to a word. Again this depends on context, but it would be a loss, in my view to lose capitalisation. Capitalisation also indicates the beginning of a sentence, of course.

Katy Penland said:
Without caps, yes, could definitely be ambiguous. If someone emails to me they've "seen a blue whale", or a "gray whale", are they talking about the species or about a large marine mammal that looks blue or gray?

Wonder why common names aren't capped to begin with. They're a proper noun, aren't they? Not scientific, but proper nonetheless. At least I've always looked at them as if they're proper nouns. ;)
Well, they say the exception proves the rule, eh? I would say that in those very few cases where ambiguity might possibly arise, then the writer would be better to recast the sentence to remove any doubt.

And if I'd seen a blue whale, I'd probably write "I've seen a BLUE WHALE!!"

Proper nouns are always the names of individual common nouns, though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back