• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sketches (1 Viewer)

RuislipMG

Hi im following suit of some other people as ive been following the great work on the forum and thought id post some of my own (beginners) sketches
any comments good/bad welcome
keep up the good work everyone

Attachments

• card3.docx
    450.1 KB · Views: 105
  • card5.docx
    455.1 KB · Views: 87
  • card6.docx
    471.8 KB · Views: 84
  • card8.docx
    442.9 KB · Views: 76
  • card12.docx
    434.9 KB · Views: 71
Hi Ruislip,

Could you possibly post these as JPG/JPEG files? It makes it easier to see them for everyone.

Oh! And welcome to the Art Forum!

Welcome aboard Ruislip - I got them open and really like the firecrest and godwit pieces very much. But I thought the barn owl was exceptional - simple lines and the whole portrait condensed into a few meaningful marks - very nice indeed.
Best to post in jpeg format - then we get to see a thumbnail first and its easier to open.
Keep posting - there's much to like about your work.

Hi here are the JPEGS

Attachments

• daddies paintings 007.jpg
    daddies paintings 007.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 74
  • daddies paintings 010.jpg
    daddies paintings 010.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 76
  • daddies paintings 013.jpg
    daddies paintings 013.jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 66
  • daddies paintings 028.jpg
    daddies paintings 028.jpg
    246.6 KB · Views: 72
  • daddies paintings 030.jpg
    daddies paintings 030.jpg
    121.3 KB · Views: 68
Welcome Ruislip. Quite a pleasant variety of styles and subjects here. I think my favorite, at least at first glance, is the firecrest. Very nicely done.

that's better thanks for posting and welcome to BF,

are these recent or a collection of your work?

how long have you been painting, that's quite a range of media..

Welcome on board! I'd agree with the others and say the firecrest is my favourite here. Mostly I think it's the life in the pose that draws my attention and the unusual angle, like the bird will be gone in an instant. Just like the real thing in that respect!

Keep it up and do post more, I reckon it's great that BF is encouraging more people to make a start in art!

Mike

Welcome and that Firecrest is my fav to. I have missed out on seeing some that were roosting in a friends rather large Garden locally will have to find out how long they stayed or even if they are breeding? Cracking birds

Ruislip,

I can see in the eyes of all these birds, that you have an understanding of a bird's spirit.

There is power in these images, and I ,for one, would like to see more. In your own time of course!

Have you got more of the "first stage" sketches? Before you lay down the paint?

Hi many Thanks
Im really a beginner when it comes to painting so have been experimenting
The birds of prey were from sketches done at the hawk conservancy and then worked up later, fire crest was done on a course somewhere waders probably at minsmere
I used to draw and paint at school but dropped it when starting work, always doodled though, then 4 years ago went to wwt at slimbridge and saw Peter Scotts actual field sketch books and thought id really like a go at that , i have some decent sketches so will post and am trying to learn about other media with some success and failure
but i really appreciate any comments and really enjoy looking at all the great work on the forum
Martin

Excellent - working up your own sketches; good man! The peregrine is a stand out for me - the subtle work around the cheek area is deftly handled.

An enticing selection indeed. Stand-outs for me are the excellently rendered plumage of the wader; these are so easy to over-do, and the studies of the raptor's heads - very nicely done, with eye placement and facial expressions done to a T.

Looking forward to seeing more.

Russ

for 'beginner' sketches these are quite simply phenomenal. A lot beter tha my first messy scribbles and probably better than many people on here too. I love the variety of poses a sign you know you subject extremely well Ruislip!

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back