• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

My review of MINOX HG 8x33 (MIG) (1 Viewer)

Hi Piergiovanni, As an owner of the Minox mig hg 8x33 I have to say they are a very underrated binocular. Having previously owned and sold a pair I was looking for a good back up bin to my Zeiss fls 8x32. I narrowed it down to a pair of Zeiss conquests hd and the minox hg's. IMO the minox were marginally better than the conquests so I bought the minox. FWIW I am not susceptible to CA so I can't comment on perceived CA on the minox as I have never seen it. Nice review :t:

Regards Gerard.

Hi Piergiovanni, As an owner of the Minox mig hg 8x33 I have to say they are a very underrated binocular. Having previously owned and sold a pair I was looking for a good back up bin to my Zeiss fls 8x32. I narrowed it down to a pair of Zeiss conquests hd and the minox hg's. IMO the minox were marginally better than the conquests so I bought the minox. FWIW I am not susceptible to CA so I can't comment on perceived CA on the minox as I have never seen it. Nice review :t:

Regards Gerard.

Hi Gerard, thanks for the comments.
Another "giant killer", in my humble opinion, is the Kowa Genesis 8x33.
By the way, you're right the CA perception is subjective. For example, I see it, sometimes, in the Canon 10x42, (also with IS OFF) a friend of mine says it is non-existent. Now I am very curious to try the new HD series BL. Have a nice week-end.

Binomania,

how would you compare the Minox HG 8×33 (MIG) to the Conquest HD 8x32
since you tested both of them?

Buona giornata,
Chris

Binomania,

how would you compare the Minox HG 8×33 (MIG) to the Conquest HD 8x32
since you tested both of them?

Buona giornata,
Chris

Hi Chris, unfortunately, at the moment, i have not the opportunity to make a comparison. A friend of mine who owned the Zeiss Conquest HD replaced it with a specimen of Kowa Genesis 8x33.

A couple of months ago I handled a Minox 8x33 HG at the Audobon store. I loved how light it was and the feel and the smooth focus wheel. In addition I thought it was a very attractive binocular. I looked through it a bit and it seemed very nice. The guy told me it was the previous version. I checked online another day and discovered that the one I handled was the Japanese version. I read some reviews of the German updated HG; that the optics were updated and much better. So, I ordered the MIG new model. Well, once it arrived it felt like a different binocular although it looked the very same. It no longer felt as light and felt chunky and awkward to me. The focus wheel was SUPER stiff too. I know that brand new bins can have a very stiff focus in the beginning and that time loosens it up, but this was way worse than I had ever experienced. I felt dissapointed. So, I looked online and sure enough the Japanese version was a couple of ounces or so lighter and the dimensions revealed it to be smaller. I liked the view in both the Japanese and German, but I returned the MIG bin back to the dealer. I eventually went with the Nikon SE 8x32 over the Minox. Just thought I'd bring this up in case anyone could use this info. I think the Japanese versions are still out there to buy, but probably dwindling quite a bit. They are about half the price of the MIG version I believe.

Last edited:
A couple of months ago I handled a Minox 8x33 HG at the Audobon store. I loved how light it was and the feel and the smooth focus wheel. In addition I thought it was a very attractive binocular. I looked through it a bit and it seemed very nice. The guy told me it was the previous version. I checked online another day and discovered that the one I handled was the Japanese version. I read some reviews of the German updated HG; that the optics were updated and much better. So, I ordered the MIG new model. Well, once it arrived it felt like a different binocular although it looked the very same. It no longer felt as light and felt chunky and awkward to me. The focus wheel was SUPER stiff too. I know that brand new bins can have a very stiff focus in the beginning and that time loosens it up, but this was way worse than I had ever experienced. I felt dissapointed. So, I looked online and sure enough the Japanese version was a couple of ounces or so lighter and the dimensions revealed it to be smaller. I liked the view in both the Japanese and German, but I returned the MIG bin back to the dealer. I eventually went with the Nikon SE 8x32 over the Minox. Just thought I'd bring this up in case anyone could use this info. I think the Japanese versions are still out there to buy, but probably dwindling quite a bit. They are about half the price of the MIG version I believe.

The made in Japan Minox 8 x 33 HG is a remarkable binocular, the best of the entire line in my opinion. The German version has a wider field of view but the optics are not better. Interesting that you found that the handling is different as well.

The made in Japan Minox 8 x 33 HG is a remarkable binocular, the best of the entire line in my opinion. The German version has a wider field of view but the optics are not better. Interesting that you found that the handling is different as well.
Agreed; I really like the Minox weight: its hand held weight aids in a steady field especially bracing the bin with thumbs on the cheekbone. It's a good and convenient bin.

I will receive a Minox 8x33 Hg within the next two weeks and among others compare it to Nikon EII 8x30 and Kowa Genesis 8x33.

Black beauty!

It does look quite nice. More compact and square than a slim and slender EL, but the matte black and contrasting silver is a fine classical design.
Anything mechanically is really fine, be it bridge, diopter or focussing (ccw to infinity).
The rubber surface is very grippy, its surface being slightly roughened.

The very first impressions of its optical quality, after ten minutes of looking through:

Ca-wise between Zeiss Conquest HD 10x42 and Swaro EL 8x32 SV.

Sweet spot 75% with a bit of curvature in it. (Thats more an educated guess than reliable observation.)

Sharpness doesnt make "pop" when focussing but rather creeps into maximum.

Ease-of-view is for me on the same level of the Zeiss. A tendency to black-out which gives it third place together with the Zeiss. (First is Kowa Genesis 8x33, second the Swarovski.)

The carrying case is a major pita, followed closely by the strap.

Now I have eight weeks to use it.:king:

Attachments

• DSCF4450-re.jpg
    DSCF4450-re.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 707
Last edited:
I was able to find an open box pair at CameraLandNY for $647. Neil thought I might like them a little more than the 8x32 Conquest HD. I had some 8x42 HD's and liked them a lot but had issues with the eyecups not only being too short to allow a full FOV but coming apart as well. The optics and general build quality are, however, sublime.

I upgraded to the HT's instead but still want a waterproof 8x32 class bin that would at least give my SE's a run for the money. The short of it is I've ordered the Minox MiG 8x33 HG BR's and will be very curious how they are for half off retail.

Based on my experience with Zeiss and my predisposition towards the brand, I have to say I'm leery but for less the $650, I simply have to see for myself. That's $25 cheaper than the demo pairs of Zeiss 8x32 HD's CLNY has at the moment.

I've noticed both of those in CLNY's bargain bin. Looking forward to your thoughts.

At the same (demo price) price point, the Conquest HD 8x32 vs. the Minox HG MIG 8x33 is a really interesting comparison. I have to imagine you can't find a better 8x32/33 for under $700 than those two.

I just hope that if these don't work out I can still snag a pair of the 8x32 HD's for that demo price. However, almost everything I've read about the MiG HG's is positive.

I just hope that if these don't work out I can still snag a pair of the 8x32 HD's for that demo price. However, almost everything I've read about the MiG HG's is positive.

Hi CSG

I am a HT 8x42 and FL 8x32 owner and love them to bits but the Conquest HD 8x32 leaves me gasping at the quality for the price. It really is a steal.

This is not to take anything away from Minox (who are neighbours of Zeiss in Wetzlar) who make great bins.

My vote would go for the HD every time.

Lee

Like I've said in the Zeiss forum, the real issue with the HD line have been the eye cups. That's why I hesitated to pick up the 8x32 HD's. Won't get the HG's until Tuesday so I'll know pretty soon about how I get on with them. Frankly, I'd like to expand my manufacturer range and the HG's have gotten pretty great reviews too.

I don't know what happened with Zeiss on the HD eye cups but I know I'm not the only one dealing with them either coming apart or too short for the eye relief of the bin (at least in the 8x42 HD).

The optical quality of the HD's (I've only seen the 8x42 and 10x42) leave little to be desired and the focuser is great too along with the solid feel.

With the recent increase in "mid premium" 8x32's someone really needs to a do a ~$1k 8x32 shoot-out between the Zeiss Conquest HD, Minox HG, Kowa Genesis, and new Cabela's Euro HD (aka Meopta Meostar). Maybe include the old standard Pentax ED. Perhaps with the Nikon SE as the "reference" bin for comparisons.

Holger did a neat 8x30ish test that included the Pentax, Minox and Kowa, plus the original (non HD) version of the Meostar (the Genesis was his favorite of the lot at the time), but the Zeiss and HD Cabela's version are new models: http://www.holgermerlitz.de/8x32/test8x32.html

And, I think, the Minox has a different and improved optical design from the earlier MiJ version. I'd be curious to know which version was tested.

And, I think, the Minox has a different and improved optical design from the earlier MiJ version. I'd be curious to know which version was tested.

The MIG version offers a wider field of view, but I could see no other optical differences with the MIJ version. Both versions are superb.

Regardless of what you could see or not, Minox has claimed optical path improvements in the MiG version. I'm hoping it's superb though as I've already started second guessing myself with these vs. the Zeiss Conquest HD 8x32's.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back