• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Ivory-billed Woodpecker Conservation Stamps and Prints! (1 Viewer)

Gamecock

This Ivory-billed Woodpecker Conservation Stamp design is simply AWESOME!

ivory-billed-stamp-2.jpg

Here's a heads-up to all my fellow birders out there. Despite a national Associated Press wire story (+ AP wirephoto of the above stamp design), most people are unaware there is now an Official Ivory-billed Woodpecker Conservation Stamp Print Program to raise funds to help save this beautiful rare bird. If you do want to do YOUR part, please consider buying a conservation stamp or print!

If enough of us who love the Ivory-bill will invest in these stamps and the accompanying limited edition prints, it will raise much-needed private funds to make a BIG difference. Please take a look at the web site linked below:

Official Ivory-billed Woodpecker Conservation Stamp Print Program

The Ivory-billed Woodpecker Conservation Stamps and Prints are scheduled to be released September 1, 2005. Advance online orders are being taken, with the lowest limited edition print numbers assigned to the earliest orders.

There is a distinct possibility these stamps and prints will also go up in value once they're sold out. I have heard John Fitzpatrick of Cornell say there are an estimated 70 MILLION people in US who consider themselves to be a birder!

The artwork used for the Ivory-bill Woodpecker Conservation Stamp design created by top national wildlife artist Larry Chandler is superb. He is an old friend of Professor Bobby Harrison, who along with Tim Gallagher (author of The Grail Bird and Editor of Living Bird Magazine), first saw the bird.

You can easily tell this artist has designed numerous other conservation stamps before, such as the Alabama Duck Stamp (twice), Kentucky Duck Stamp (twice) and also the prestigious Arkansas Duck Stamp (3 times including this year!). Speaking of the 2005 Arkansas Duck Stamp, he got special permission to add in an Ivory-billed Woodpecker on a tree into the duck stamp design's background - after his original design was accepted!

The web site linked above contains LOTS of interesting Ivory-billed Woodpecker information, news, photos, video and links (and more promised). A PDF file of the Official Ivory-billed Woodpecker Conservation Stamp Print brochure has been recently added, along with photos of a full sheet of 4 conservation stamps, an example of a print framed with both mint and artist-signed stamps, the Cloisonne collector pin, layout of a billboard on I-40 near Brinkley, Arkansas and the forthcoming Ivory-bill Woodpecker license plate that will be available in Arkansas. All bird lovers will find this site fascinating!

Proceeds from the sale of these new conservation stamps and prints will be equally split between The Cornell Lab of Ornithology (for research), The Nature Conservancy (for more habitat acquision) and the Arkansas Game and Fish Foundation - non-profit arm of the Arkansas Game and Fish Commission (for more public education). It is hoped that other conservation organizations will agree to match the funds raised by these stamps and prints, so the total amount raised gets multiplied.

It's going to take a 3-pronged approach, with LOTS of money coming from the private sector, to save the birds long-term. We simply can NOT rely on government to do it for US on their own! At this point, I'm not sure if the private sector will open their wallets to donate what will be needed. That's why I am so encouraged to see this Ivory-bill Woodpecker Conservation Stamp Print Program become "Official". It truly gives the Ivory-bills new hope.

Best of all, instead of you just getting a write-off on tax form, you will get something beautiful to show for your contribution! I'm afraid thousands of people just buying a T-shirt (as some conservation groups are now doing to raise $) will NOT be enough. Thousands of conservation stamps prints and stamps sold WILL help, especially if the funds raised by this program are matched.

But, speaking of T-shirts, below is THE best-looking one I have seen and it comes from a company that donates 1/3 of the net proceeds to conservation (usually with Ducks Unlimited). I can't wait for mine to arrive in the mail...

ivory-bill-tshirt.jpg

Cornell has one for sale with this same bird (on the back side) too, but the background was cropped out in that one (and has the word "found" on it). This one, which I've ordered, has the full beautiful design on the front with the words "From The Brink Of Extinction" and "Rediscovered!" on it (these come from artist himself) and sells for $2.00 less too. Watch out for some unauthorized BOGUS ones on Ebay that may look similar to this image, but reversed. Those T-shirts could be a Scam!

Here's the order page where you can order with a credit card or Paypal:

Order Ivory-blled Woodpecker Conservation Stamp, Print, Poster, T-shirt, Collector Pin, etc.

Thanks to everyone who steps up to the plate to do their part!

Last edited:
Gamecock said:
This Ivory-billed Woodpecker Conservation Stamp design is simply AWESOME!

I'm very surprised there has not been any comments about my post in here. Do YOU agree? Disagree? Somewhere in the middle perhaps? Please post!

Thanks for the heads-up, Gamecock. I've already made a donation to the Big Woods fund, but I'll definitely contribute via a stamp purchase, too.

Curtis Croulet said:
Oh, the other Ivory-bill thread is so much more exciting. Nice, picture, though.

Now that the new audio evidence has been released, I would agree with you.

But, all that discussion about the doubts of one skeptic (and his brother) was getting to be a bit much. I'm glad to see a new thread started to move that.

Pileated_MO said:
If I lived in Arkansas, I'd most definately have that ivory-bill liscense plate on my car. It's awesome, too.

I would as well! I'll post a picture of it so others can see it and maybe share their opinion(s) about it.

woodpecker-tag2.jpg

When you visit the conservation stamp program web site, you can click on the above image to see it TWICE as large! That seems close to the actual size of the license plate. I do wonder how much extra they would cost me and if any of that money goes to help the birds? I'd assume so, but who knows? :)

Tz'unun said:
Thanks for the heads-up, Gamecock. I've already made a donation to the Big Woods fund, but I'll definitely contribute via a stamp purchase, too.

You are quite welcome.

I'll get some Ivory-bill stamps too, but I think the thing to do is buy a sheet of 4, as shown in picture below. As with license plate, you can click to see it shown larger.

woodpecker-stamp.jpg

I believe most duck stamps come in a full sheet 30 or more, so those can be expensive. The fact that Cornell and TNC logos are on there gives credibility to the program. If I'm not mistaken, that looks like a shot of Bobby Harrison (guy from Alabama in Grail Bird book). On the stamp program web site, there is a picture of him wearing a "helmet cam" in a canoe. It's a hoot! :D

timeshadowed said:
Your web site is Awesome, too!!

Thank You VERY Much! I love to hear comments on the site from bird lovers.

There has been lots of recent updates to the site, including a copy of a well-done blurb on Ivory-billed Woodpecker that ran in Oct. Boys Life Magazine.

The prints have just been released and it is exciting to see how popular they have been so far. No doubt, this is THE Holiday Gift for any birder this year!

Actually, the Governor's Series Prints have not come out yet. They are still waiting on Arkansas Governor Mike Huckabee to hand-sign them. He's a busy guy, but you don't have to worry that he will be using an Auto-Pen machine!

Best regards,

Gamecock

News release about IBWO stamps and prints on sale!

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE:

IVORY-BILLED WOODPECKER CONSERVATION STAMPS AND PRINTS TO RAISE FUNDS FOR RARE BIRD NOW ON SALE

http://www.ivory-bill-woodpecker.com/

JONESBORO, ARKANSAS (E-Wire) - New conservation stamps and limited edition prints to raise much-needed funds to save the recently rediscovered Ivory-billed Woodpecker have gone on sale. Patterned after the highly-successful Federal Duck Stamp (required since 1934 for all U.S. waterfowl hunters age 16 and up) and Arkansas Duck Stamp Prints, the design came from the original oil painting "Elusive Ivory" by wildlife artist Larry Chandler of Hartselle, Alabama.

The Ivory-billed Woodpecker made headlines worldwide after a press conference on its rediscovery April 28, 2005 at the U.S. Department of the Interior Auditorium in Washington, D.C. The last confirmed sighting of this bird, before the one in Eastern Arkansas in February 2004, was in 1944 - 60 years earlier. There is no doubt it is the rarest bird in all of North America.

Most ornithologists who were skeptical after seeing the original scientific evidence presented, including a short and fuzzy video of the bird in flight, were convinced it exists after hearing new audio released to the public at the American Ornithologists Union meeting August 24, 2005. This new audio evidence captured the bird's unique "kent" calls, which were documented in 1935.

The price range for all items offered by the Official Ivory-billed Woodpecker Conservation Stamp Print Program starts at $9.00 for a Cloisonne collector pin and go up to $315.00 for the special Search Team Edition print hand-signed by the artist and all 4 members of a search team who first
observed the bird along the Cache River in what's called the Big Woods area of Eastern Arkansas.

Proceeds from the sale of conservation stamps and prints will be evenly divided between The Cornell Lab of Ornithology, The Nature Conservancy and the Arkansas Game and Fish Foundation.

The most popular item is expected to be the $15.00 Ivory-billed Woodpecker Conservation Stamp, as this rare bird species has never before appeared on any postage stamp in the United States. Interestingly, the Ivory-billed Woodpecker has been featured on a postage stamp 4 times in Cuba,
since that was once the best place to see the bird (Campephilus principalis) in North America.

Because stamp collecting is considered to be among most popular hobbies all across the globe, publisher Larry Grisham said "I expect we could sell over 200,000 of these stamps, which would raise well over a million dollars to help protect this gravely endangered woodpecker species."

There is also a Governor's Edition print which will be hand-signed by the artist and Arkansas Governor Mike Huckabee and will also include the Official Arkansas State Seal. This edition is limited to only 500 prints and sells for $265.00, including a mint unsigned Ivory-bill stamp.

For the average wildlife art lover, a Regular Series Print ($165) which includes a mint (unsigned) stamp will be the most popular. It is strongly suggested an extra artist-signed stamp ($17.50) also be purchased (with this or other print editions) and then have both mint and artist-signed stamps framed below the print. This set makes a great conversation piece.

For birders, as bird watchers often call themselves, the Ivory-billed Woodpecker is at the top of their life list as THE most difficult bird species to view at least once in their lifetime. Because most ornithologists considered it extinct for many years, pictures of Ivory-bills began to be removed from bird watching guide books. Sporadic unconfirmed sightings by amateur birders
were discarded under an assumption they were observing the similar-looking Pilleated Woodpecker. Eventually, reports of living Ivory-bills became considered as unreliable as Bigfoot sightings.

Many of the estimated 70 million bird watchers in the United States will want to visit Arkansas to see the bird. But, thanks to the Ivory-billed Woodpecker Conservation Stamp Print Program, they can see one on their wall without leaving home and their purchase will help to ensure this rare bird will survive. The stamp print will be the perfect holiday gift for birders this year.

The Cornell Lab of Ornithology is the nation's most-respected rare bird research organization and provided the funding to acquire most of the current evidence. The new audio evidence was recorded by 24 Autonomous Recording Units (ARUs) installed 153 times, for 2-4 weeks at a time,
in two main areas near the White River and Cache River National Wildlife Refuges in Arkansas.

The Nature Conservancy is America's foremost conservation organization focusing on purchasing land in the United States that is critical for wildlife habitat. The non-profit group bought thousands of acres of nearby land before word of the Ivory-billed Woodpecker's rediscovery got out to the press. They plan to buy more adjacent land with their share of stamp/print proceeds.

The Arkansas Game and Fish Foundation is the non-profit arm of the state wildlife department in Arkansas which is called the Arkansas Game and Fish Commission. They plan to use their portion of the proceeds for public education, which will be needed for long-term protection of the bird.

Wildlife artist Larry Chandler learned about the bird from his long-time friend Bobby Harrison, who along with Tim Gallagher, made the first confirmed sighting of the bird in almost 60 years. It was Harrison, Associate Professor at Oakwood College in Huntsville, Alabama, who told him he needed to do a painting of the bird. After being sworn to secrecy, "I had to be the hands of
the eyes that had seen the vision", Chandler said. His design captured the grace of this bird.

The great thing about this Ivory-billed Woodpecker Conservation Stamp Print Program is, rather than just making a tax-deductible contribution, people who buy the conservation stamp or print will get something back for their contribution. The print is proof you did something tangible to help this bird's cause and further, it makes a lovely addition to your home or office decor.

The limited edition prints are expected to become more valuable in the future on the secondary market, which is another incentive. For example, all of the earliest Federal and First of State Duck Stamp Prints, originally selling from $15 to $125 each, are now worth thousands of dollars.

For more information on the Ivory-billed Woodpecker Conservation Stamp Print Program, visit the web site for it at www.ivory-bill-woodpecker.com. It offers news, photos, video and much more.

http://www.ivory-bill-woodpecker.com/

New Ivory-billed Woodpecker license plate for ANY state!

Pileated_MO said:
If I lived in Arkansas, I'd most definately have that ivory-bill liscense plate on my car. It's awesome, too.

Well, NOW you don't have to live in Arkansas in order to buy an IBWO license plate! Here's the new design which anybody can display on their car or truck!

ivory-bill-license-plate.jpg

There are quite a few other new Ivory-bill items also now available for sale as well, such as a Cloisonne Pin, Christmas ornament and a birder patch in either nylon (detailed image) or canvas (embroidered). I'll include images of latter 2.

ivory-billed-patch.jpg

ivory-billed-patch-2.jpg

I'm not sure which of these patches I like better. I believe the Nylon is iron-on, but your can sew it on using the embroidered edge. The canvas one is more traditional like the ones you typically see on a birder's jacket/hat/bag. Both are $7.50. Which patch do YOU like better? Traditional or Newfangled?

Here's a link to go directly to the Order page to see all these items at once:

Ivory-billed Woodpecker Conservation Stamp Print Program order page

From there, click the text link for each item and an image of it will be shown.

Ivory-bill fans: Get some of these items for yourself or someone else as a gift!

Heard latest rumor? 9 IBWO pairs recently observed!

I thought I should mention it here in case some hadn't heard the "news" yet.

9 Ivory-billed Woodpecker pairs observed?

WOW! I really hope this latest sighting report is true. It would wonderful if somebody got a good photo or video for proof they still exist. I'd love to see all those die-hard skeptics have to admit they were wrong about it all along.

Thanks for the heads up on all of the ivorybill merchandise.

I'm ordering a license plate for my front bumper today, and will be ordering one of Chandler's giclee canvases as soon as I can decide on which size.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back