• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Garden (Yard) List 2012 (2 Viewers)

You're racing ahead!! Golden Oriole, I'm jealous!

Marginally ahead of my score this time last year (and had never done before, so can't compare with average), but don't worry, another two or three weeks of good stuff and then I'll rapidly start running out of steam - UK gardens get a second chance of bonus birds with the second winter period, I might as well shrivel up and hibernate when that comes!

Failed to update for a while now - been a quiet month in terms of hoped for migrants but new additions for Falmouth -

55) Blackcap (heard only)
56) Swallow
57) Common Sandpiper 2 on the 23rd April

The latter blobs with a strong suspicion as to their identity. Confirmed, and 3 roosting on the river when I went down there.

Last edited:
But of course I'm now in France ...

Lots of Swallows and Swifts, some nice raptors and other bits. Apparently it's been wet and a bit like the UK temperature wise, got in to Toulouse for the train on thursday 26th - cool and overcast. First new garden birds the following day -

48) Swallow many hundreds north
49) Common Swift hundreds north

28th April (a sunny day!)

50) House Martin 10+
51) Honey Buzzard 22 N
52) Hobby 3+
53) Short-toed Eagle 1 N
54) Montagu's Harrier 1 male N

Also 4 Common Buzzard in the area, 2 Black Kite, 3 Red Kite north, Kestrel 1 male, Sparrowhawk 1, 10+ unidentified raptors (presumably Kite sps and more HBs) and 1 Black Stork north (commoner than White Stork as a passage migrant here). All within a couple of hours late morning - lunch time.

Adding that up, I think that must be the first 9 raptor day for the garden!

Today - rain cleared late afternoon, and right on cue, 2 or 3 hours later (takes that long for them to get here from the Pyrenees I reckon), 5 more Honey Buzzard early evening (all north and 1 low right overhead). One new bird earlier this morning in the rain -

55) Lesser Spotted Woodpecker male

Last edited:
Not much, but finally some migration! Added the following this morning:

82. Least Flycatcher
83. Black-and-white Warbler
84. Blackburnian Warbler
85. Rose-breasted Grosbeak
86. Eastern Kingbird
87. Nashville Warbler
88. Black-throated Green Warbler

Last edited:
Labanoras.

May Day, continuing nice and sunny, a most pleasant day, mostly laid back in a chair watching the skies for raptors et al - a good haul by late afternoon - Marsh Harriers regular, plenty of White Storks and Cranes, two distant Hobbies and, sharing the sky together, adult White-tailed Eagle and Lesser Spotted Eagle. Three days of scanning the skies north and south (where lakes lie that I can't actually see) produced the desired reward - one Osprey circling and hunting for some 15 minutes.

Otherwise, bird of the day was a booming Bittern that was most vocal for much of the day somewhere in the flood forest beyond my cabin (a good portion of the forest is now reedbed due to Beavers).

Tree Pipit, Wood Warbler and Spotted Flycatchers all new in.

86. Bittern
87. Lesser Spotted Eagle
88. Osprey
89. Tree Pipit
90. Wood Warbler
91. Spotted Flycatcher
92. Greenfinch

The last two weeks has seen me patchworking at the expense of ''Yarden listing''...today I hung out the bedroom window and still had two Redpolls on the feeder. If they stay till the 4th..that will be 5 months!!! Within an hour my first Swifts arrived (2), then two hours later a small party of House Martins and Swallows..63 and 64. I believe a few more ''wings and prayers'' wouldn't go amiss..your in my sights Joannec. :)

104. Garden Warbler - one seen in the front and one singing in the back so perhaps two birds

and in trying to work out how many, I also found a Grasshopper Warbler, Whinchat and a fly over Tree pipit... Also Blackcap (2) Willow Warbler 20, but moving through all the time so perhaps a massive number, and Chiffchaff.

So that 107

Last edited:
I'm onto my 68th this year

68 = Treecreeper

(lots of the more regular birds still to see as it's only the end of April)

Last edited:
Now 8 EIGHT species of Warbler in the front garden - Lesser Whitethroat and Sedge new for the year, also house martin, swift and Rook added.

109 for the year.

I added a few more today:

89. Solitary Sandpiper - flying over yard.
90. Great Crested Flycatcher
91. Gray Catbird
92. Ovenbird
93. Louisiana Waterthrush
94. Baltimore Oriole

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back