• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Arizona Lizard Help! (1 Viewer)

Michael W

Mountain Chickadee
Hi lizard people!

I photographed this Spotted Whiptail on the road to Madera Canyon, Arizona, in mid-June, and am now getting around to identifying it.

The options as I see them are Canyon, Gila, or Sonoran Spotted Whiptails. But I just can't seem to be able to decide which! I don't have a reptile guide; I'm only using the web to help me. I've gotten my help so far from www.reptilesofaz.com/herp-lizards.html, which seems like a good site. It helped me identify my Mountain Spiny Lizard already.

Anyway, any info on this lizard's identification would be most welcome.

Thanks!

Attachments

• 429_2981.JPG
    429_2981.JPG
    169 KB · Views: 220
  • 429_2982.JPG
    429_2982.JPG
    105.7 KB · Views: 196
  • 429_2983.JPG
    429_2983.JPG
    192 KB · Views: 215
Hello Michael,

I would say Sonoran Spotted Whiptail (Cnemidophorus sonorae). Your photos look almost identical to the specimen shown in the Audubon's Field Guide to North American Repts and Amphibians (Knopf).

Arizona is my next birding & herping destination, if all goes well I'll be going next summer.

Best regards from Spain,

I would tend to agree with your identification, Ignacio. Thank you!

Wow, you sure are going to have fun when you go to Arizona!!!

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back