• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Chris Packham charged in Malta (1 Viewer)

OK, let's break this down. Let's consider David Cameron's attempt to secure some changes, such as an 'Emergency Brake' on EU immigration, to enable him to win the EU referendum. The 'Brake' and its effect would have been little different in effect to the transitional arrangements which Tony Blair failed to implement in respect of new accession countries (Romania, Bulgaria). The EU rejected the emergency brake out of hand. That one simple act of compromise would probably have been sufficient for the majority of UK voters to remain in the EU. If the UK has such limited influence even when it is threatening to leave, then how do you expect anyone to believe that we had influence prior to that.

cheers, alan

The UK had the ability to apply much stronger restrictions on the EU accession states under EXISTING EU agreements and chose not to (unlike many other EU members).
This was either due to incompetence or, more likely, a deliberate policy that enabled the country to gain economic benefit from an influx of cheap labour.
If the majority of English voters were not so bloody dumb to have been misled by politicians and the press to believe that immigration was a problem caused by the EU we wouldn't have needed a referendum in the first place.

While the point might be strictly true you used the classic Europhobe game of putting a bizarre spin on reality to come up with "80euro of your money goes to Maltese hunters" claim

Anyhoo.....

Using relatively current (2015) data.

The net per capita distribution of EU funds to Malta is about 97euro
That doesn't all come from the UK. However obviously the UK has (for the moment) a large and strong economy built significantly on trade with our EU compatriots, so we are net contributors to the EU budget.

The UK gross contribution to the EU budget is 14% (noting this is about 1% of total UK government spending a minuscule proportion for all the bloody fuss leavers make about it, and this is gross so I have ignored the money we receive back from the EU)

So the per capita distribution of UK EU funds to Malta is less than 14euro

Since you said "80euros of your cash" another way to cut it is per capita distribution from a UK individual to a Maltese individual. In that instance about 0.3euro per UK individual goes to each Maltese per year.

So more accurately each Maltese hunter or police gets about 0.3euro of your cash a year. Probably more like 0.6euro per tax payer I guess.

I hope they don't spend it all at once......

Probably on a couple of bullets - thanks for proving my point

cheers, alan

The UK had the ability to apply much stronger restrictions on the EU accession states under EXISTING EU agreements and chose not to (unlike many other EU members).
This was either due to incompetence or, more likely, a deliberate policy that enabled the country to gain economic benefit from an influx of cheap labour.

..or because Labour wanted to attract natural Labour voters (see comments by Straw, the Prince of Darkness and others). You've again proved my point - the policy which Blair failed to use, would likely have had a similar population effect (if used) to an emergency brake (not granted). So why was the EU so reluctant to grant it?

cheers, alan

You are assuming immigration is a problem. I am not.

Maybe the EU just got over the UK using it's influence to broker special treatment as it has done for years.....

Whatever, good luck with leaving. You'll need it.

You are assuming immigration is a problem.

No I'm not - you really need to stop misrepresenting the view of others. I think the UK economy has benefitted from European migration. However I am saying that the UK would probably have voted to remain, if Cameron had achieved any concession from the EU on a tool to reduce total flows.

cheers, alan

You are assuming immigration is a problem. I am not.

Maybe the EU just got over the UK using it's influence to broker special treatment as it has done for years.....

Whatever, good luck with leaving. You'll need it.

I suppose the aboriginal Australians must have assumed that immigration was not a problem at some point.

Why will bird conservation be poorer? Lack of influence in making the EU enforce the wildbird directive. If it was difficult from within the EU, it won't happen from the outside.
/QUOTE]

IMO we have no influence and that is demonstrable by the 'emergency brake' argument. How can you change things from the inside when an organisation lacks the will,, means or structures to change. The UK can be more direct from outside the block and can make bilateral arrangements.

Yes, separate point and happy to discuss this elsewhere

This point, which is widely commented on in BF, is that UK taxpayers' money which subsidises grouse moor estates (rural support grants? I'm not familiar with your system) goes equally to estates in which Hen Harriers and other raptors are killed illegally as well as those which do not break the law.

I am glad to read mjh73 successfully demolishing all of your arguments! :t:

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back