• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

what to do with juvenile bird that cannot fly? (1 Viewer)

twizzle

Hi,

I am new here and hoping to find some help...

I was walking outside and all the birds on the ground flew away as usual except for one juvenile. It cannot fly because I saw it trying.

I put some disposable gloves on and any time I went near it the parents of the bird would fly close to me and chirp as loud as they could. the parents kept coming down I think to encourage it to fly but it just can't.

It finally went inside one of our bathrooms and so I had to catch it. I can see blood right by the "armpit" area on one side of the bird if I lift the wing just a bit.. so something is broken :(

my brother-in-law put the lil' one on the roof where there are branches from our trees hanging over and it went on a branch and came down with it. the parents keep flying to it and feeding it all the while I think encouraging it to fly. but the lil' one just stops and rests for a bit, then walk on some branches, up or down and rests again... and so on.

***update***

we left it to walk all over the branches but since it the sundown now so we caught it again and looked under the wing to take a closer look... it has a gash on its body under the wing that is bleeding... poooor thing :( my mother-in-law put some tumeric and other powder on it to stop the bleeding (its a thing they do for injured animals here in UAE) and we put it in a cage with doors open so the parents can still come and feed it.

usually after sundown these birds go to wherever they stay overnight but the parents are still hanging around feeding their lil' one...

I don't know what to do other than make the lil' one a make-shift nest to keep warm in overnight.

here is the baby:
bird005.jpg

bird014.jpg

one of the parent birds:
bird017.jpg

and 1 parent with the lil' on and one nearby:
bird015.jpg

I want to catch it and keep it to try to feed it myself for a few weeks and see if his lil' wing can heal, though my brother-in-law thinks if we just leave them all alone the parent birds with manage to get the lil' one to its nest... but I don't believe him.

I know even if we keep him caged for now in hopes he heals that he would probably be ok to release because last year my mother bought these same birds as adults and kept them in a cage. everyday wild ones of the same would come and hang out with them on their cage and they would all chirp away and even share food. I insisted to my mother-in-law she needs to release them and she finally did. I mean..at least I hope they are ok..

what do y'all think I should do?

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back