• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

How Is Your 2017 List Going? (1 Viewer)

In Guelph, Ontario for the week. Went to one of the local parks this afternoon.

141. American Crow
142. Ring-billed Gull
143. Red-winged Blackbird
144. Red-tailed Hawk
145. Double-crested Cormorant
146. Turkey Vulture
147. Black-capped Chickadee
148. Dark-eyed Junco
149. Mourning Dove
150. American Goldfinch
151. American Robin
152. Chipping Sparrow
153. Northern Cardinal
154. Brown-headed Cowbird
155. Common Grackle
156. Ruby-crowned Kinglet
157. Swamp Sparrow
158. Red-breasted Nuthatch
159. Hairy Woodpecker
160. Northern Flicker
161. Pine Warbler
162. Cooper's Hawk
163. Brown Thrasher
164. Sharp-shinned Hawk
165. Blue Jay

Quick work trip to Bahrain and Oman.... In Bahrain I only saw 3 species but in Oman I had more time and caught 19 species on a Tuesday morning, including 6 new lifers (!!)

April 18

Grand Hyatt Muscat, Muscat, Oman
120. Laughing Dove
121. Common Myna
122. Red-wattled Lapwing
123. Sooty Gull
124. Lesser Black-backed Gull
125. Saunders's Tern
126. Common Tern
127. Great Crested Tern
128. House Crow
129. Rock Martin
130. White-spectacled Bulbul
131. Hume's Wheatear
132. Chestnut-shouldered Petronia
133. Indian Silverbill

Latest Lifer: 587 : Chestnut-shouldered Petronia (Grand Hyatt Muscat, Muscat, Oman; April 2017)

Wow, Will, you're practically next door!

That's a good list, for a single afternoon; but then it's getting to be that time of year, isn't it, and yesterday was a particularly good day.

Lots of White-throated Sparrows around, here in Kitchener, where there were only dribs and drabs coming through before; we had two singing in the back garden this morning.

Peter C.

Ah yes, so we are! I went out today with a local birder and picked up a bunch more species. Going to try for Woodcock tonight too.

166. White-throated Sparrow

167. Killdeer
168. Wild Turkey
169. Savannah Sparrow
170. Song Sparrow
171. Horned Lark
172. Tree Swallow
173. Greater Yellowlegs
174. Lesser Yellowlegs
175. American Herring Gull
176. Great Blue Heron
177. Vesper Sparrow
178. Caspian Tern
179. Ring-necked Duck
180. Barn Swallow
181. Lesser Scaup
182. Ruddy Duck
183. American Coot
184. Pied-billed Grebe
185. Bufflehead
186. Northern Rough-winged Swallow
187. American Kestrel
188. Eastern Towhee
189. Eastern Phoebe
190. Solitary Sandpiper
191. American Tree Sparrow
192. Wood Duck

Last edited:
Finally, the warblers are starting to arrive. I added two, along with a vireo, to my Year List this morning.

134. Yellow Warbler
135. Common Yellowthroat
136. White-eyed Vireo

Dave

193. Belted Kingfisher

No Woodcock unfortunately

Well, that's too bad. I imagine there are some close by, but I couldn't say exactly where (Guelph Lake C.A., maybe?).

However, I know exactly where they can be found - guaranteed. See images; go to where the red dot is, just after sunset, and wait for the "peents" to start up. We had 9 individuals displaying within 100m of this spot, about a week ago (the best displaying field is just a bit north of the marker).

Where was the Solitary? That's really good, for the time of year.

Attachments

• Laurel-creek1.jpg
    Laurel-creek1.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 54
  • Laurel-creek2.jpg
    Laurel-creek2.jpg
    136.9 KB · Views: 53
159 marbled godwit
160 Wilson’s phalarope
161 white-faced Ibis
162 Semipalmated sandpiper
163 Least sandpiper
164 Long-billed dowitcher
165 northern rough-winged swallow
166 semilamated plover (4/22)

Last edited:
A beautiful spring day with lots of migrants moving in. I added eight birds to my Year List today.

137. Eastern Kingbird
138. Blue-winged Warbler
139. Prairie Warbler
140. Green Heron
141. Ovenbird
142. Wood Thrush
143. Spotted Sandpiper
144. Forster's Tern

Dave

This evening I went out to look for whip-poor-wills. Almost as soon as I arrived at my special spot for the bird, I heard and then got a brief glimpse of one in my spotlight. I heard a total of three, maybe four.

145. Eastern Whip-poor-will

Dave

I'm keeping a 2017 list this year and I wondered if I should put exotic birds on it. I wouldn't put them on my life list, but I figured a year list is different. Today I went to the Huntington Beach Central Park (California) and found some Orange Cheeked Waxbills. Do I put them on the list, or no? Thanks.

Well, that's too bad. I imagine there are some close by, but I couldn't say exactly where (Guelph Lake C.A., maybe?).

However, I know exactly where they can be found - guaranteed. See images; go to where the red dot is, just after sunset, and wait for the "peents" to start up. We had 9 individuals displaying within 100m of this spot, about a week ago (the best displaying field is just a bit north of the marker).

Where was the Solitary? That's really good, for the time of year.

Thanks Peter. I'm going to give Guelph lake a go i think. The Solitary was in a flooded field close to Guelph, not sure of the exact location. First for the year in Wellington County apparently.

Got a couple of new species yesterday:
194. Downy Woodpecker
195. Brown Creeper
196. Golden-crowned Kinglet

I'm keeping a 2017 list this year and I wondered if I should put exotic birds on it. I wouldn't put them on my life list, but I figured a year list is different. Today I went to the Huntington Beach Central Park (California) and found some Orange Cheeked Waxbills. Do I put them on the list, or no? Thanks.
The national geographic guide has a good list of accidentals, and things like parrots are listed with likely cities to find them. Also, use eBird and list all, see if it is listed there.

There are some waxbills in the US. Look up the one you found and see if it is found anywhere.

The Black-rumped Waxbill is a widespread inhabitant of sub-Saharan Africa, where it is resident from Senegal to western Ethiopia, and reaches south to Uganda and western Kenya. There are several introduced populations in southern Europe, as well as on the Canary Islands, and in Hawaii.

If you conclude that your bird is an escaped bird, then I would not list it.

Hi Sue - welcome! As a SoCal birder, I can commiserate with this conundrum of introduced exotics... Apologies in advance for the length of this post.

It's totally up to you on your personal approach, but here's how your options break down:

1) All inclusive list. This would be the only list to include the Orange-cheeked Waxbill - which is seen regularly in SoCal. My primary year list is all inclusive, and it's based on the concept that regardless of official status and slow-moving evaluation of these populations' sustainability to thrive overall, you as an observer are experiencing and encountering an individual bird which was born, functions, survives and likely propagates in the wild. I wouldn't count confirmed escapees, or zoo or farm birds, but pretty much everything else to me is fair game.

Another argument for using this list type is that it will make it easy to correspond to your eBird submissions, which exclude only "domestic" / farm influenced birds (certain peafowl, geese and monstrous mallardian descendants) - all other exotics are included as "countable" on your eBird list. This is not by accident - it's in fact very purposeful in order to track the pervasiveness, the range, and the growth of these exotic populations, with the sentiment that this data may one day contribute to granting them "self-sustaining population" status by the powers that be (CRBC or ABA).

2) Official status list. This is probably the more popular option for many birders, because it's based on a strict set of rules and parameters set forth by an authority. And for most of North America, the ABA (American Birding Association) is the go-to resource for this, in conjunction with their local state rare bird committee. However, most North American birders are not confronted with the massive exotic populations of SoCal and Florida.

Birding SoCal can get sticky quickly when you start dissecting the vague discrepancies between the ABA and the CRBC (California Rare Bird Committee). Great example here is Nanday Parakeet - which is an ABA accepted species, but not recognized by CRBC. The ABA's evaluation stems from the Florida population, but their "criteria for determining establishment of exotics"
(http://listing.aba.org/criteria-determining-establishment-exotics/) is absolutely applicable to the Nanday population of Malibu / Santa Monica Mountain range. Which, I might add, is unique amongst SoCal exotics for surviving off native plants, not introduced ones.

Additional internal hypocrisy with the decisions these committees include their "accepted" status of grandfathered-in absurdities like Spotted Dove in Los Angeles (which is barely holding on as a sustainable population), and the pervasive Red-crowned Parrot, while other predominant parrot/parakeet species of the greater LA area remain absent (Yellow-chevroned Parakeet and Mitred Parakeet come to mind first, but other Amazona parrots like Yellow-headed Parrot may be good examples because they are function in the same niche - and flocks! - as Red-crowneds).

The benefit of this approach is, of course, an even playing field when comparing numbers with other birders who follow the ABA list, or requirements for submitting a list for competition (big year, anyone?).

3) Purist non-introduced list. I'm including this option in for fun because I think it's an underserved twist on listing: Non-introduced species only. While your "official" ABA or CRBC list will grant exotic immunity to your run-of-the-mill Rock Pigeons, European Starlings, House Sparrows, and yes even Spotted Doves and Red-crowned Parrots - this NIB list doesn't live in a gray area. It's native birds and native birds only.

I was inspired to keep this list by John Sterling's County Birders club (http://www.sterlingbirds.com/county_birders.htm), in which California's top traveling birders compete on their life lists to see the most non-introduced species in every county of California (there are 58). Maybe it's blind to certain realities of our modern birding, but it struck a chord with me in a historical context - how would my list compete before colonizers brought all these ridiculous birds that have in many cases negatively impacted North American wildlife.

----

In the end, my personal solution? I keep all three of the above lists to get the best of all worlds. But that's also because I'm a spreadsheet madman with OCD tendencies. Have fun with it, and do what suits you best.

Last edited:
Hi Sue - welcome! As a SoCal birder, I can commiserate with this conundrum of introduced exotics... Apologies in advance for the length of this post.

It's totally up to you on your personal approach, but here's how your options break down:

1) All inclusive list. This would be the only list to include the Orange-cheeked Waxbill - which is seen regularly in SoCal. My primary year list is all inclusive, and it's based on the concept that regardless of official status and slow-moving evaluation of these populations' sustainability to thrive overall, you as an observer are experiencing and encountering an individual bird which was born, functions, survives and likely propagates in the wild. I wouldn't count confirmed escapees, or zoo or farm birds, but pretty much everything else to me is fair game.

Another argument for using this list type is that it will make it easy to correspond to your eBird submissions, which exclude only "domestic" / farm influenced birds (certain peafowl, geese and monstrous mallardian descendants) - all other exotics are included as "countable" on your eBird list. This is not by accident - it's in fact very purposeful in order to track the pervasiveness, the range, and the growth of these exotic populations, with the sentiment that this data may one day contribute to granting them "self-sustaining population" status by the powers that be (CRBC or ABA).

2) Official status list.
3) Purist non-introduced list.
I was inspired to keep this list by John Sterling's County Birders club (http://www.sterlingbirds.com/county_birders.htm), in which California's top traveling birders compete on their life lists to see the most non-introduced species in every county of California (there are 58). Maybe it's blind to certain realities of our modern birding, but it struck a chord with me in a historical context - how would my list compete before colonizers brought all these ridiculous birds that have in many cases negatively impacted North American wildlife.

----

In the end, my personal solution? I keep all three of the above lists to get the best of all worlds. But that's also because I'm a spreadsheet madman with OCD tendencies. Have fun with it, and do what suits you best.
Thanks, Alex. I believe I will go with option one this year. Currently, circumstances do not allow much birding time for me and the time I do spend out, is short and not very serious. It's more a way to get outdoors for a walk and commune with Mother Nature. My life list is of the purist type though. I didn't even list the Southern Boobook or Scops Owls I heard so often while in New Zealand and Turkey because I didn't see them. It was quite obvious who they were.;)
I just didn't know what the protocol for the yearly Member's List here was and wanted to follow suit. If it doesn't matter to others, I will go extremely casual. Not so casual as to count the Chinese geese and barnyard mixes or the Muscovy mixes I've seen (or pigeons):-O. I see you have a good list going and must be spending a little time out watching. I should be able to get out more next month. When I am able, I would like to drive out to a friend's place in Ridgecrest. A friend of hers has a pair of Long-eared Owls nesting on her property. I would love to see one! Might be gone by the time I am able to drive up though. Anyway, thanks for the response and good luck with good birds this year.

I went on my first days birding since Feb 17th. Today I went to The Wyre Forest then onto Grimley near Worcester. On the way I had my First Swallow of the year plus four new birds at the Forest and finishing off with a few Sand Martins at Grimley. New birds for the year were:

167. Swallow
168. Tree Pipit
169. Pied Flycatcher
170. Wood Warbler
171. Redstart
172. Sand Martin

Despite periods of heavy rain separated by periods of sunshine, I had a successful day's birding, adding eight birds to my Year List.

146. Red-eyed Vireo
147. Black-and-white Warbler
148. Scarlet Tanager
149. Hooded Warbler
150. Grasshopper Sparrow
151. Bobolink
152. Henslow's Sparrow
153. Yellow-breasted Chat

Dave

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back