• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

RSPB Middleton Lakes (3 Viewers)

Hi DJ,
Redstarts are very rarely seen on the reserve I have only ever seen one in Spring on the now private section it would appear your confusing Willow Warbler/ Chiffchaff call which is similar to Redstart.

Regards, John
2 Redstart were today reported along the entrance road by the Villa training ground (SC per TP)
Also reported today by the breeding birds survey team were 2 Grey Partridge and a Cuckoo.
I saw 1 Little Egret, 2 Common Tern and a Swallow was back at the farm.
Geoff

Morning visit, mainly to the Dosthill side of the reserve.
3 Common Tern were in a courtship chase (the front runner carrying a fish). A Cuckoo was calling, a Grasshopper Warbler and Reed Warbler were singing.
There was no sign of any Redstarts on the RSPB road but 2 Meadow Pipits were there. JH reported 2 Ruff on the north pit so the year list rises to 121 species.
Geoff

Morning visit, the 2 Ruff were still showing well on the north pit with 6 Common Tern and a Wheatear. A Lesser Whitethroat was singing by Fishers Mill Pool, now 122 species for the year.
Geoff

Afternoon visit, 2 pair of Red-legged Partidge were seen, a Black-tailed Godwit was on Fishers Mill Pool. A Short-eared Owl was hunting the middle section at 4:30 and 2 Wheatear were on the north pit.
I noted that the sponsored bird watch on Saturday 5th May is being promoted on the notice board, all welcome to see how many species can be found from dawn to dusk.
Geoff

Last edited:
Afternoon visit, 2 pair of Red-legged Partidge were seen, a Black-tailed Godwit was on Fishers Mill Pool. A Short-eared Owl was hunting the middle section at 4:30 and 2 Wheatear were on the north pit.
I noted that the sponsored bird watch on Saturday 7th May is being promoted on the notice board, all welcome to see how many species can be found from dawn to dusk.
Geoff
should that be 5th May GeoffB :)

Had a quick walk down to the fishers bridge last night -took a few shots of some seriously good flying ability from the lapwings, very impressive. Was going to head up to the north pit, but as it was looking pretty grey over head, I made a quick retreat back to the car park.

Attachments

• lapwing1 (Large).jpg
    lapwing1 (Large).jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 66
  • lapwing (Large).jpg
    lapwing (Large).jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 70
  • lapwing dive flight (Large).jpg
    lapwing dive flight (Large).jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 72
It's not much fun birding in drizzle but it can be if you see Osprey and Little Gull.
Afternoon visit to the Dosthill side of the reserve, 2 Wheatear were by Dosthill Lake, 3 Little Gull were on the lake hawking insects and suddenly all the Black-headed Gulls took flight and I looked up to see an Osprey flying over, it crossed the river and hovered briefly over Fishers Mill Pool before continuing north.
There was just 1 Common Tern but a good selection of hirundines and a Cuckoo.
Yesterday a Black-tailed Godwit was on FMP and a Common Sandpiper on the north pit but with the water levels very high there many birds have lost nests including Ringed Plover, LRP and Oystercatcher. I did see my first Swift, House Martin and Sedge Warblers of the year.
The year list now stands at 130 species.
Geoff

No sign of any Little Gulls today but 70 Black-tailed Godwit were reported on the north pit, they disappeared into the distance just as I got there. The only other waders noted were 4 Oystercatcher, 4 Redshank, Lapwing and 2 Snipe, also around were 1 Cuckoo, 1 Yellow Wagtail,several Swift, Swallows and a House Martin. 8 Hares were in adjacent fields
Geoff

No sign of any Little Gulls today but 70 Black-tailed Godwit were reported on the north pit, they disappeared into the distance just as I got there. The only other waders noted were 4 Oystercatcher, 4 Redshank, Lapwing and 2 Snipe, also around were 1 Cuckoo, 1 Yellow Wagtail,several Swift, Swallows and a House Martin. 8 Hares were in adjacent fields
Geoff

70 Blackwits? That must be a site record! Other than 172 at Belvide on the 11th May 1999 I cant find reference to a larger flock in The new Birds of the West Midlands

Geoff

Are you nervous for next week's 'All-Dayer' Geoff 8-P
Upton v Belvide v Middleton v Marsh Lane ?
B :)John

Are you nervous for next week's 'All-Dayer' Geoff 8-P
Upton v Belvide v Middleton v Marsh Lane ?
B :)John
Hi John, Not nervous, it's just a bit of fun, however I'll be surprised if we do as well as last year as then we managed to see nearly all the regulars plus some goodies.
Regarding Phil's comments about the Blackwits, I think 70 would be a site record, I hope the 2 birders who saw them will submit the record. Previously we have had 14 on 19/7/11, 16 29/3/10, 21 5/6/09, ca.35 10/5/08 and 26 7/7/06 otherwise just single figures (records taken from RBA records).
No birding for me today, I bet the reserve is flooded out again.
Geoff

Bird Race 5th May 2012

Quote from Upton Warren site

'' UW's year list now stands on 117 with 103 species recorded so far in April; many migrants and waders are still outstanding (Cuckoo, Gropper, Whitethroat, Dunlin, Greenshank, Red Kite, Marsh Harrier etc etc).

Middleton Lakes has 130 whilst Belvide is top of the pops with 139.''

I believe the winner of the bird race on my 5 th May will depend on the best flush of waders which reach a reserve on that day.

I don't believe Belvide would be beaten on a year list, they have a good Gull roost, Middleton lakes, Dosthill Lake (RSPB manage an area of this lake) the nearby tip is closed. So Glaucous, Iceland, Caspian and even Yellow-legged Gull are not on the Middleton lakes list, I believe (Geoff Williams keeps the list). The larger Reservoir Belvide pulls in Kittwake, Merganser, Scoters and White-fronted Goose this year from the large areas of arable surrounding, throw in Pallid Harrier also. Middleton lakes bonus bird is Cetti's Warbler Upton Warren's is Avocet ( although a regular migrant at Middleton lakes we may see one). Belvide is closer to the large Welsh Kite population which is now doing well in neighbouring Shropshire (details Shropshire Ornithological site)
However if you widen the area more I don't believe Belvide's list would increase greatly, but to encompass the mid Tame Valley then Shustoke Divers, Phalarope, Grebes, merganser, Scoters. Ladywalk Spotted Crake some years. Coton Gulls and local farmland small population of Corn Bunting and Grey Partridge.
Belvide also takes the birding professionaly under Steve Nuttall and his team.

Regards, John

Last edited:
Geoff

Hi Geoff, good to see you on Saturday. As I said I missed the Black-tailed Godwits but got the Yellow Wagtail, Redshank, Swift, Lapwing, Common Tern and Cuckoo. I'm new to BirdForum and a fairly new Birder - only serious for about a 12 months. I've been following the Middleton Lakes thread for a while and I've found your posts and 'JHDraytonbassettpits' really helpful. Keep up the good work!
Steve Atkinson

Last edited:
Hi Geoff, good to see you on Saturday. As I said I missed the Black-tailed Godwits but got the Yellow Wagtail, Redshank, Swift, Lapwing, Common Tern and Cuckoo. I'm new to BirdForum and a fairly new Birder - only serious for about a 12 months. I've been following the Middleton Lakes thread for a while and I've found your posts and 'JHDraytonbassettpits' really helpful. Keep up the good work!
Steve Atkinson
Hi Steve, It was good to see you again also, I look forward to your future reports.
Today much of the reserve was flooded and impassable in parts, the spit on the north pit was completely underwater. 10 Redshank were noted, presumably birds who have lost nests. Other waders included 4 Oystercatcher still, 1 Ringed Plover and a Common Sandpiper, also around were 1 Little Egret, 1 Yellow Wagtail and a Wheatear.
JH told me there was a Whinchat and 3 Wheatear by Dosthill Lake so I drove round to see them, they were still there plus 2 Artic Terns, a total of 10 Common Tern were also seen around the reserve.
The year list now stands at 132 species.
Geoff

Had a quick lunchtime trip down to Middleton yesterday - guess who forgot to take wellies :( It will be even worse today as its raining again :C

Attachments

• DSCN0933 (Medium).JPG
    DSCN0933 (Medium).JPG
    126.3 KB · Views: 84
  • DSCN0934 (Medium).JPG
    DSCN0934 (Medium).JPG
    146 KB · Views: 78

Users who are viewing this thread

Back