• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Robin or flycatcher with yellow below (1 Viewer)

Shame! Moral of the story; next time your better half sees an unusual bird get even a crappy piccy on the mobile ;)

Its very hard to convey birds seen and not identified, even for birders often. A recurring example are "yellow" Corn Buntings loads of them Of course they are in fact bright buff - in sunshine/bright light. Certainly throws ideas for folk trying to work it out. If it was actually yellow below, like a banana, then you could maybe look at american warblers, or tanagers, but it would be more likely to be an escaped captive bird than that by far (or Siberian Blue Robin).

Mind you, its that time of year....

edit:..and Steve's suggestion is a good one too?

Corn Buntings. loads of them! I wish there was here Simon your lucky to see or hear a single bird here in derbyshire now at any time I can remember flocks of between 50 and 100 birds on occasions in the winter months in the late1980s and into the 1990,s in south east derbyshire I wonder if or when they,ll start comeing back here.

Last edited:
Corn Buntings. loads of them! I wish there was here Simon your lucky to see or hear a single bird here in derbyshire

Yes, its not good, its the price of modern farming etc. "When I were a lad" used to see flocks of 10s almost in central Manchester (Chorlton Meadows - 4m south of the actual centre) as well as Grey Partridges and some breeding Grasshopper Warblers - it was my local patch. None of that nowadays. Here in Portugal we have plenty of areas with low population and old fashioned agriculture - and lots of CBs. Lets hope it lasts!

Yes, its not good, its the price of modern farming etc. "When I were a lad" used to see flocks of 10s almost in central Manchester (Chorlton Meadows - 4m south of the actual centre) as well as Grey Partridges and some breeding Grasshopper Warblers - it was my local patch. None of that nowadays. Here in Portugal we have plenty of areas with low population and old fashioned agriculture - and lots of CBs. Lets hope it lasts!
Its rare for me to go abroad but in December 1987 I went with family
To portugal for the christmas and I did see some good birds I remember Black Redstart and Blue Rock Thrush on some cliffs we visited along the coast, Among others but yes it was like travelling back in time when seeing a yoke
Being used on lifestock and little wooden carts with big wooden wheels it was Almost biblical to me one stonechat just jumping out into the road in front of me no sense of fear yes it was a wonderful experience Indeed, I was sitting Outdoors with my family at lagos along side the harbour haveing a lager, when just in the background I noticed a large cloud appear over the coast, Apparently it was snow and the first from memory that had ever been seen there I was probabily the first or one of the first englishman to see that there
anyway I,m just getting carried away here, but its nice to hear that things are the same as I remember them in portugal in tenerife it was all timeshares hopefully portugal missed most of that.

My wife was about 60-70 feet away - she is adamant it was something she had not seen before.
I have suggested immature robin but she says no, as it was too yellow below. It behaved like a robin and the normal garden we have has perched on the same recycling bin subsequently.
My son is 9 years old and says he also saw a robin type bird with blue in the tail two days ago. He has seen blue in a robin type bird twice now he says and described yellow on the flanks/side and also brown above. He also says he saw blue in the back area. I showed him the likely candidates and he said more like the Siberian Blue than Red-Flanked on colour.
I missed those sightings too(!), except I did see a robin type bird yesterday briefly in flight with the naked eye from the apple tree, which seemed grey to me (I did not see the sides) which called with an unfamiliar call 'tweeoo' with a slightly grating tone. I am still skeptical about all this, hence have not asked people to look for the bird, as I am not sure my son has definitely seen what he says he's seen,as he might just want my attention, however he is familiar with birds and does sketches of them and I don't 100% think he would literally lead me up the garden path!
I am actually a birder, but not much of twitcher these days, but in the 450s BOU.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back