• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Greater Kruger - another Weaver (ZA) (1 Viewer)

njlarsen

Gallery Moderator
Opus Editor
Supporter
Barbados
Dear all,
I initially thought this was another Red Bishop, but the strong rear super made me doubt that. Any takers?

thanks
Niels

Attachments

• Weaver q6 P1030298.JPG
    Weaver q6 P1030298.JPG
    60.3 KB · Views: 77
Have you considered female Red-collared Widow - lack of streaking on underparts, dark crown & slightly longer tail with black sides?

I am considering it now, but at least in the birdforum gallery, there are only images of males ...

Additionally, the habitat sounds a bit different when reading the account in the Sinclair field guide

Niels

Last edited:
I think FT may well be right with Red-collared widowbird. Super looks too broad, especially behind the eye, for a Red Bishop. Difficult to assess the bird seize though...but the relatively short tail (not very short!) looks ok.

Thank you Tib. In another part of the image is a White-fronted Bee-eater, and even though that is closer than this bird, the comparison still makes me believe this is one of the larger species.

Niels

And here should be the size comparison

Niels

Attachments

• Weaver q6a P1030298.jpg
    Weaver q6a P1030298.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 42
Hi

A useful tip I learned for differentiating Red Bishop from most other euplectes species: See how far the tail feathers extend past the undertail coverts? On a Bishop, the undertail coverts extend almost as far as the tail tip. Therefore your bird is not a Red Bishop, but unfortunately I can't tell you what it IS!
I feel it might me Red-collared, but unsure how to rule out White-tinged Widow.

Hope this helps somewhat

Here is a copy of my response to a post from Sal on the Southern African Forum....

Wow! It's never easy to compare a single photo giving only one aspect with a picture in a book, but I would favour one of the widowbirds. On balance, but, to misquote the Duke of Wellington, it is a damn'd close-run thing - I would favour Red-collared Widowbird (f). But don't hold it against me!
Best wishes,
Dave

Thank you all,
It seems that everyone are leaning the same way. I do not believe it is White-winged, i have different photos of that one, and there seems to be enough differences that I don't think this one would be that.

Niels

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back