• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nikoi Island, Bintan (1 Viewer)

squidoid

Would appreciate help to confirm these IDs:
#1 - Lesser Sand Plover
#2 - Intermediate Egret
#3 - Grey Heron
#4 - White Bellied Sea Eagles
#5 - Pacific Reef Egret

Thank you!

Attachments

• plover.jpg
    plover.jpg
    219.3 KB · Views: 102
  • egret 1.jpg
    egret 1.jpg
    263.3 KB · Views: 89
  • heron.jpg
    heron.jpg
    289.4 KB · Views: 111
  • eagles.jpg
    eagles.jpg
    151 KB · Views: 93
  • egret 2.jpg
    egret 2.jpg
    206.2 KB · Views: 85
Hi Squidoid,

1 - Malaysian Plover, female. Note 'scaley' upperparts
2 - Pacific Reef Egret - hell of a bill and shortish leg
3 - Not sure, any other pics, can't judge bill properly?
4 - Brahminy Kite, small beak, rufous upperparts..
5 - Agreed

Mark

Last edited:
Proportions in body and bill gives white phase PRE also for me.

I agree on great billed heron on 3 ( a species i´d like to see on some of my future trips to SE Asia)

Your welcome Squidoid.

One other identification-clue is the type of habitat the bird is seen in. It´s a "character" that should be used as a clue and not as a single character for getting the right ID.

For example; The PRE on your photo (2) is in typical PRE habitat.

But the same habitat (rocky beach) is a un-normal habitat for intermediate egret.

The use of habitat as a helping ID character will probably help you even the more experienced you get with this interest (birding).

Sometimes the birds appear in other habitats than we are used to and that can make one very confused. But as i see it thats the exciting part of this hobby.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back