• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Topography Pictures Wanted (1 Viewer)

To everyone who has contributed artwork, a great thank you, I hope I've been able to do your work some justice.
Here's the link for the page now. I've added a fair bit of stuff and some writing.
Have a look and see what I've done to your work...if you don't approve then let me know and I'll amend things according to your wishes.

Can I also request a gull head picture...I need to be able to show the gonys spot, gondyeal angle and sub terminal bars....that's the red spot on the bill of adults that the chicks peck at when begging for food, the angle of the lower mandible as it comes to the bill tip, and the vertical bars of colour on the beaks of some gulls.
Also if some one could do an open gull's wing picture so that I can label up things like mirrors, trailing edges etc it would be a godsend.

Great work Keith, I've been trying to find and learn the info that is nicely and concisely presented there, you did a real service to all getting it together....I'd love to do the gull head, but I'll post a photo first to make sure it has what you want... I'd also like to do an great egret head....

Hi Keith

here are some photos I've taken of gulls, will any of these work? if so which one would you like me to use, and please identify them for me....are they herring gulls or what?

if these don't work you could send me one that you do like.
Thanks!

Attachments

• gull-2401.gif
    gull-2401.gif
    266.9 KB · Views: 38
  • gull-wings-up-_2431.gif
    gull-wings-up-_2431.gif
    210.6 KB · Views: 41
  • herring-gull_head-9142.gif
    herring-gull_head-9142.gif
    191.4 KB · Views: 36
Thanks Colleen, for my purposes the third picture is the best one, a nice profile shot, it's got the spot and a nice angle, lacks a sub terminal bar but I can add that myself.

I aren't a gull expert but the birds do look like herring gulls to me.

Hi Keith in the garden enjoying the sun while sketching the Herring Gulls wing.
Any use to you or did you want the bird attatched.

Attachments

• L1180017.jpg
    L1180017.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 66
Yo Dave B- hope the wait for this autumn's returning waders is not proving too painful.

Thanks for your good wishes Ed. I was getting pretty grouchy, but the past weekend my thirst has been well and truly slaked and all's right with the world! Pics uploaded to my blog!

Dave

HI Keith,

here is a gull head, hope I got that beak ok, it was really hard to see the parts, I've never seen one close, and every photo I had, the beak was different.
If I need to fix something I can....this is a combo of watercolor and pastel

it was much harder than I thought to do this, but I learned something about making white birds, which I hope will carry over to the egret head I want to do

Attachments

• gull-head-9683.gif
    gull-head-9683.gif
    220.6 KB · Views: 71
Thanks Colleen, I've downloaded it, hopefully have it labelled up and on the Opus page later today.
I'm going to put a black outline around the the bill to make the areas I will be labelling stand out more. I won't ask you to do it as your picture is very nice and it will spoil it as a piece of art to have the bill outlined.

quicker than I thought with the labelling...so it's now online.

Could do with an underwing picture to label the axillaries, (armpit feathers), and a couple of feet, a webbed one (duck) and a lobed foot (coot) to show the differences, if anyone's interested.

Last edited:
Hi Keith you can tell I am not doing much at the moment.
These any good for under wing and feet you wanted

Attachments

• L1180024.jpg
    L1180024.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 67
  • L1180030.jpg
    L1180030.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 62
Not as fast as I thought..only managed the feet so far. Posted them onto the page.
I'll try and get the wing done before we leave on our holiday..if not look for it after the 12 September.

Hello, it's that man again refreshed and ready to plug away with more bits of topography. Here's the page link so you can see what I've done so far http://www.birdforum.net/opus/Topography

I'm now after more heads, ideally a couple of waders, one with short beak, one with long beak maybe curlew or whimbrel for the latter to illustrate the curve.

Also I'm thinking about a piece on feathers so would love a picture of a primary or secondary type feather, uncoloured so I can do the shading myself to illustrate various patterns, also a general contour feather again uncoloured.

Many thanks in advance from a complete numpty at art.

HI Keith,

I just had a wonderful encouter with a curlew, I'd be happy to do that one, I'm not a candidate for the wing stuff tho:t:

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back