• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Passerine Santa Barbara - October 8 (1 Viewer)

Could it be a Warbling Vireo? I've never seen that species but it seems to be a possible fit.

Remiss of me!...I've seen East coast Warbling Vireos, but not West coast, apparently the latter have darker crowns not unlike the subject bird, which would certainly be the default species at location. Agree with Roland...Warbling Vireo is the most likely candidate....unless other images (if any) reveal longer UTC's. :-C

I sent the link to a much better birder than myself, and he suggests it may well be a Yellow-green Vireo. These show up in California occasionally, but it is a great bird. It would be something to post on the local rare bird listserver.

I sent the link to a much better birder than myself, and he suggests it may well be a Yellow-green Vireo. These show up in California occasionally, but it is a great bird. It would be something to post on the local rare bird listserver.

I could see why someone might say that, the yellow parts look good for it, but I honesty don't think there is any chance of that with how small the bill is. I still go with Warbling Vireo, and if anything the bill is small enough for a warbler, but nothing seems to quite fit warbler wise. MAYBE Tennessee? I lean towards warbling vireo which is also extremely common in California.

I didn't want to provide this context with the original post so as not to bias any answers, but myself and other birders got good enough looks at it to know for sure that it was not a Warbling Vireo (which we do indeed see many of). The consensus among ourselves and other locals was that it was either Red-eyed or Yellow-green, with most settling on Yellow-green. Thanks again for the input from everyone.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back