• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sandwell Valley (3 Viewers)

Water Rail Swan Pool, 10 Little Grebe, 2 Cormorant, Yellow-legged Gull, 2 Siskin, singing Reed Bunting and Goldcrest but no sign Goldeneye first thing per Rob Preston.
Good Birding YAMYAM

Adult YL gull showing really well on Swan Pool at the moment. Also 3 goldeneye (1m + 2f). per Mike Ixer
Good Birding YAMYAM

The Brambling came off the golf course with possibly a second bird first thing. Around 30 Siskin were in the Marsh. There were at least 3 Oystercatcher, 16 Lapwing, 15 Wigeon. The lake was pretty devoid of stuff which it has been lately. Presumably because the work disturbance.per Pete Hackett
Good Birding YAMYAM

Yellow Legged Gull

Allowing for duplication we've had at least six individuals so far this year

Records so far this year:-
11/1/18- Adult
12/1/18- Adult poss 2 Birds
14/1/18- Adult
19/1/18- Adult
21/1/18- Adult
23/1/18- Adult
24/1/18- 1st Winter
26/1/18- Adult
26/1/18- 2nd Winter
27/1/18- 2nd Winter
31/1/18- 2nd winter
02/2/18- 3rd Winter
03/2/18- Adult
04/2/18- (4th Winter) Adult
10/2/18- (4th Winter) Adult
10/2/18- 2nd Winter
12/2/18- Adult
16/2/18- Adult
17/2/18- Adult

Good Birding YAMYAM

Year lists as of 17/2/18

Mel Jones -89 Great Black Back Gull
Dave Saunders - 81 Woodcock
Mike Ixer-77 Kingfisher
Matt Hadlington - 76 Oystercatcher
John Clarke- 73 Kingfisher
Craig Reed -72 Oystercatcher
Pete Carless -67 Green Woodpecker
Dave Waite - 66 Common Gull
Steve Lilly - 60 Siskin
Richard Eyres - 52 Redpoll
Tony Johnson - 52 Redpoll
Adrian Kirton - 47 Oystercatcher

Good Birding YAMYAM

Last edited:
Yellow Legged Gull by Mike Ixer

Would anyone be kind enough to point out the key features which confirm that as Yellow-Legged Gull? At the moment, I'd take one look at it, think "pale LBBG" and walk on, but that's me not being confident on the differences.

Would anyone be kind enough to point out the key features which confirm that as Yellow-Legged Gull? At the moment, I'd take one look at it, think "pale LBBG" and walk on, but that's me not being confident on the differences.

Adults have darker grey backs and wings than herring gulls, but are paler than lesser black-backed gulls.The legs are bright yellow, there is a red ring around the eye and the bill is yellow with a large red spot, the head is a nice clean white with no streaking

Good Birding YAMYAM

Adults have darker grey backs and wings than herring gulls, but are paler than lesser black-backed gulls.The legs are bright yellow, there is a red ring around the eye and the bill is yellow with a large red spot, the head is a nice clean white with no streaking

Good Birding YAMYAM

Thank you.
So how would I tell this gull, which the website tells me is LBBG, from Yellow-Legged?

Attachments

• unnamed.jpg
    unnamed.jpg
    568.1 KB · Views: 30
4 Oystercatcher backwards and forwards between Forge Mill and Dartmouth Park this morning per Matt Hadlington
Good Birding YAMYAM

Thank you.
So how would I tell this gull, which the website tells me is LBBG, from Yellow-Legged?

The best thing to do Rob is spend some time looking at the colour of the Mantle and Wings of LBBG and Herring Gull when you finally see an Adult YLG you'll see the difference :t:
Good Birding YAMYAM

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back