• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sandwell Valley (6 Viewers)

The best thing to do Rob is spend some time looking at the colour of the Mantle and Wings of LBBG and Herring Gull when you finally see an Adult YLG you'll see the difference :t:
Good Birding YAMYAM

Thanks I will do.
Seems to be a *very* fine degree of grading of grey to split YLG.

The habitat looking pretty good for Snipe. There was also Water Rail, Common Gull, 30-40 Siskin, Redpoll and 5 Oystercatcher. per Pete Hackett
Good Birding YAMYAM

Photo showing difference in Mantle of YLG rear, LBBG and HG in Foreground photo by Dave Brown

Attachments

• YLGU.mantle+comparasion-2.jpg
    YLGU.mantle+comparasion-2.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 62
Last edited:
The head streaking is well-developed especially in sub-adults like this bird; consisting of fine streaks that will easily wear of which will result in a white-headed appearance in winter. I posted photo to show the mantle/ wing variation
Good Birding YAMYAM

Last edited:
The head streaking is well-developed especially in sub-adults like this bird; consisting of fine streaks that will easily wear of which will result in a white-headed appearance in winter. I posted photo to show the mantle/ wing variation
Good Birding YAMYAM

Thanks again for your help.
Looking forward to actually being confident enough to ID one of these. A lot to learn still.

Not far from the Valley ....

Pergrine above Tame Bridge station 8.30 am today.

....... and for the wildlife watchers ......

Badger crossed in front of car 11.00 pm last night, Beacon View Rd, Charlemont Farm. Lived in the area off and on for best part of 60 years - first time I've even seen hint of a badger in the area!

Swan Pool Skylark, 2 Reed Bunting, 3 Oystercatcher, 3 Goldeneye, 10+ Little Grebe, Water Rail, Siskin per Pete Hackett
Good Birding YAMYAM

Late news 15th Curlew calling over Forge Mill Lake just after 6 am. per Pete Hackett
Good Birding YAMYAM

Last edited:
Feeders
Willow tit x2, Coal tit x2, Nuthatch, Bullfinch c6, Reed Bunting c6, Chaffinch c25 and Greenfinch c19 per Pete Carless
Good Birding YAMYAM

16 Wigeon, 11 Gadwall, 8 Goosander, 24 Lapwing, 4 Oystercatcher, Jack Snipe, 2 Water Rail, Grey Wagtail, 500 Jackdaw late afternoon per Rspb.
Good Birding YAMYAM

Sparrowhawk in garden

Not quite in Sandwell Valley but near enough, got a Sparrowhawk visit our back garden in Handsworth. My quick thinking dad managed to get some photos using my camera. Sparrowhawk Photo

Users who are viewing this thread

Back