• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Vortex Diamondback vs Vortex Viper (1 Viewer)

jbetz

I just went to look at binoculars yesterday, and I narrowed my choices down to two pairs: the Vortex Diamondback 10x42s ($230) and the Vortex Viper 10x42s ($530). I had previously looked at the Vipers at a store that didn't have the Diamondbacks, and I thought that I would purchase these binoculars. But after trying both pairs, I honestly could find little difference between them. I have used a pair of Olympus 8x42s for two summers of field research (using them every day), and so I don't consider myself completely new to optics. I am definitely new to purchasing binoculars and have only compared a few, but I am wondering what others think about the difference between these pairs.

They both have fully multicoated lenses and are waterproof, etc., and so what differences do people see? I thought I could see a bit more blurring around the edges of my field of view with the Diamondbacks, but I think I may have just been convincing myself of this difference. I know the Vipers are award-winning binoculars, but it seems like for $300 less the Diamondbacks are a much better buy. What do you all think?

You might want to wait just a little bit. Vortex should be coming out very soon with an improved version of the Diamondback. It is supposed to be 7% brighter. With that in mind, you may be able to get the current version at a savings. See the link below for more details.

http://www.cameralandny.com/optics/vortex.pl?page=vortexdiamondback10x42

I can't help you with the Vipers, but I have the 8 x 42 Diamondback. I use it as my "car binocular." It is ruggedly constructed, as you probably noticed with the 10 x 42. It's sharp enough and has a very wide field of view, the same as my Leica 7 x 42 Trinovid. It's not as bright as the Leica, of course, but I find it quite satisfactory. The 10 x 42 has a wide FOV too. Here are the Viper's specs.

http://www.cameralandny.com/optics/vortex.pl?page=vortexviper10x42
Bob

Last edited:
Unfortunately I already purchased the Diamondbacks, but I guess you can always expect that a newer, better version will soon replace anything you buy. With that said, I am happy with them so far.

Edit: Actually, I just checked the box for my binoculars and I actually did get the new D241s. So I'm glad to know that I got the newest, brightest model.

Last edited:
Congrats! Those Diamondbacks should be great. Although there are some small differences, I think the only thing you would notice is that the Vipers may be slightly brighter in twilight, due to the higher reflectivity of the prism coatings (although the Zen-Ray ZRS has silver coatings for about the same price as the diamondback -- go figure), and slightly sharper at the edges. If I was choosing between those two I would have gotten the D-backs, too.

Congrats, jbetz.

I think you are the first person here to get the newest Diamondbacks. I was wondering how much closer they are to the Vipers.

They advertise them as 7% brighter so I speculate they got new coatings all around so a brighter and warmer view from the mirror silver coating (the older DBs were a little cold/bluer) and perhaps better AR coatings too (I could see ghost reflections more often from bright highlights than other similar bins).

The Vipers should have better control of stray color as I think they use ED (XD in Vortex speak) glass in the objectives. Stray light control may be better too.

You might consider a write up! How do they compare to your Olympus 8x42 bins?

I would be curious to hear further comments on this revamped model as well. The design improvements should have a substantial effect on their performance.

I would be glad to provide all the information I can. I am not an expert (as I mentioned before, although I have spent a significant amount of time using a pair of Olympus binoculars, the DBs are my first personal pair), but I would like to help out. Any suggestions about information to include in a write-up? I will be able to compare the DBs to the Olympus 8x42s, and maybe a 10x42 pair in a few weeks, so I can provide info from that comparison later on. I did compare my Diamondbacks with a pair of Minox 8.5x43s today (which I believe cost somewhere around $800), and mine seemed equally as bright and clear, even at dusk.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back