• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birding in Kos (2 Viewers)

davidg

I'm going to Kos for two weeks in July, staying in a place called Tigaki. Anyone been there and can recommend some good birding spots?

Many thanks,

David

Hi David,
We (family) went to Kos about 4 years ago in May & it was very enjoyable, with several good migrants passing through as well as some nice residents. Limosa holidays have been running trips there the last few years so you could probably get some trip report info from their website. Tigaki is probably about the best wetland site on the island although what it will be like in July i dont know, probably dry, as it is shallow. We stayed further round the coast at a place called Psalidi which also has a small wetland reserve. It`s a small island & easily covered in a car. Lesser Kestrels breed around Tigaki & just south of there you can drive up to an old castle near a place called Old Pili, exploring around this area should produce Bonellis Eagle, there are several pairs on the island, also Rollers seemed to be fairly commonplace. It is well worth exploring the mountainous spine of the island & should turn up Orphean, Subalpine etc. The Asklepion at dusk was good for Scops Owl & Nightjar, the trip over to Nissyros island is also good to view the active volcanic crater as well as loads of Eleonoras Falcons, also got Audouins there. Butter & Dragonflies were also good.

Hi Rob,

Thanks for the reply. Yes I suspect the wetlands in Tigaki are unlikely to live up to their name but hopefully I'll be able to connect with a few of the birds you mention. July is a pretty lousy time for birding but school holidays dictate, unfortunately.

Cheers,

David

David, the trip reports are on the Travelling Naturalist website not Limosa, they ran the tours in conjunction with them. On a similar theme have you ever taken an MV lamp abroad ? I`ve often wondered about it but dont know how it would fair in hold luggage & doubt whether it would get past security in hand luggage.

Hi Rob,

I've never trapped abroad but it is something I'm keen to try, although I'd probably use an actinic rather than MV - such a bright light is almost certain to cause problems with other guests I fear. It might be worth investigating 'blended' bulbs which can be plugged straight into the mains without the need of a heavy and suspicious looking choke.

Cheers,

David

I stayed for a week in Tingaki in May last year and would echo Robs comments on places to visit. I visited the saltpans at Tingaki most days and it produced some excellent birds such as Gull-billed Tern, Spur-winged Plover, Citrine Wag, Red-footed Falcon, Stone Curlew, Greater Flamingo as well as plenty of Little Stints, Black-winged Stilts, Squacco Herons, Kentish Povers etc. The water levels were already starting to drop though.
I saw a pr of Bonelli's Eagles at Old Pyli and found the top of the castle to be an ideal raptor viewpoint (also Blue Rock Thrush on top of the castle). The Old Pyli area also produced Short-toed Eagle, Long-legged Buzzard, Black-eared Wheatear, Eastern Subalpine Warbler & Cretzschmar's Bunting - also good for wild tortoises there!
Nissyros is said to be good for Orphean Warbler (though I didn't see these) but did have Audouin's Gull fly past whilst there, as well as Yelkouan & Cory's Shearwaters on the boat trip to and from the island.
Eleanora's Falcon & Lesser Kestrel are fairly widespread on Kos (though Nissyros had the largest concentration of Eleanora's). Keep checking telegraph wires when travelling around the island - that should eventually get you Roller.
Eastern Olivaceous Warblers are common & Black-headed Buntings were seen at the saltpans, on wires over the main street in Tingaki as well along various backroads inland of Tingaki.
Hope you have a memorable trip!

regards

Chris

Last edited:
I actually live here in Kos and can give you an idea of what you will expect to see this time of year. Fortunately the Tigaki wetlands are still wet, tho i do not know for how long. If your holiday is at the end of the month then you may be disappointed. I saw Grey Herons, Squacco Herons, Spur-winged Lapwings and Little Bitterns there the other day as well as Eleonora's Falcons, Lesser Kestrels and a Long-legged Buzzard.
Unfortunately July is not the best month and you certainly will not see the 100+ species you would likely see here for a week in April or May. Bloody sparrows are everywhere as are collared doves, hooded crows, crested larks and yellow-legged gulls.Loads of swallows and pallid swifts too. Some days it is a challenge to find anything else! A trip into the mountains should give some variety to the birdlife tho.
Have a look through my gallery as all my shots were taken here or on one of the neighbouring islands. Plus enjoy your stay :)

Hi Stuart and thanks for the reply. I'm actually off on Wednesday (8th) so from what you say it looks like I might get lucky. Spur-winged Plover would be a Greek tick for me so hopefully they'll hang around at least. Rob and Chris (above) have named one or two areas to check out - is there anywhere else you would recommend? Some excellent photos on that link, by the way.

Thanks again,

David

Hi
I stayed in tingaki 25 years ago and it's great to hear the wetland area is still there - I presumed it had been drained and developed long since.
Memory is pretty hazy now but I remembered a lot of black headed buntings & fan tailed warblers (in the long grass of undeveloped plots). At the northern end of the central ridge there was a fantastic cafe just off the road, hanging over the steep cliffs with great views of the plain below - several great spotted cuckoos in the surrounding bushes. The Tingaki wetland had black headed yellow wagtail, great reed warbler and flocks of bee-eaters in the evenings.
Lots of other stuff too & I found it much richer and more varied for birds than any other greek iseland I've been to since. I'd love to see a trip report 'cos I'd quite fancy another trip!
regards
Paul

Stuart,

There's a female Greater Sand Plover at Tigaki - has been for several days but I only got good views today. It is with a large group of Kentish Plovers and favours the beach to the west of the town (just beyond the green and white inflatables). I've seen it here between about 5 and 7pm when the whole flock moves onto the saltpans where they are easier to view and presumably roost overnight. I've not seen it during the day but the beach here gets extremely busy!

Saltpans are quickly drying up - no sign of Spur-winged Plovers, Squaccos etc

David

I went to Tigaki the other day and there were loads of Kentish (20 or so) but I didn't see a G S Plover. Shame as they are lovely birds, tho I doubt I could get as close to one as I did last September. I will probably go back on Sunday when I get the day off work. There were a pair of Black-winged Stilts that made a hell of a noise when I walked past the area where they were obviously nesting. No Squaccos, Grey Herons or Little Egrets tho which was strange as I always see them there. You seen anything else good? I really don't birdwatch much this time of year as it is too hot and there doesn't really seem to be much about. Thanks for the info tho. It is the first time anyone has ever told me about any local sightings!

I went to Psalidi in august 2005 and didnt really see a great deal as i was a proper novice but around the dried up pools I did manage YLG, Bee-eater, Alpine Swift, a few un-id'd larks, Scopoli's Shearwater, Kentish Plover, Woodchat Shrike and Subalpine Warbler plus a day roosting Scop's Owl. No doubt there was more but as i say i was useless then (and pretty much still am).

I went to Tigaki the other day and there were loads of Kentish (20 or so) but I didn't see a G S Plover. Shame as they are lovely birds, tho I doubt I could get as close to one as I did last September. I will probably go back on Sunday when I get the day off work. There were a pair of Black-winged Stilts that made a hell of a noise when I walked past the area where they were obviously nesting. No Squaccos, Grey Herons or Little Egrets tho which was strange as I always see them there. You seen anything else good? I really don't birdwatch much this time of year as it is too hot and there doesn't really seem to be much about. Thanks for the info tho. It is the first time anyone has ever told me about any local sightings!

Hi Stuart,

The sandplover was there early am on Saturday and again this evening (Monday). It's getting very busy though and the birds are frequently disturbed - bloody joggers seem to be the worst offenders. Immature Gull-billed Tern on Sat am but nothing else out of the ordinary - just got my 60th species of the trip, Hoopoe!

David

Back at 5.30 this morning to pouring rain in Gatwick. Final tally was 61 species listed below - I'll produce a proper report when I'm slightly less frazzled! Greater Sand Plover was obviously the highlight but a Citrine Wagtail on the last but one day was a surprise. Looked like 1st winter to me but is that likely in July? No sign of Black-headed Bunting and very few warbler species - is that normal for the island?

9th July
House Sparrow
Yellow-legged Gull
Common Swift
Pallid Swift
Swallow
House Martin
Red-rumped Swallow
Black-winged Stilt
Crested Lark
Grey Heron
Collared Dove
Turtle Dove
Common Sandpiper
Feral Pigeon
Hooded Crow
Little-ringed Plover
Reed Warbler
Zitting Cisticola
White Wagtail
Olivaceous Warbler
Eleanora's Falcon
Scops Owl

10th July
Little Egret
Greenshank
Ruff
Lesser Kestrel
Sand Martin
Mallard
Moorhen
Black-headed Wagtail
Kentish Plover
Greater Sand Plover

11th July
Cetti's Warbler

12th July
Stone Curlew
Bee-eater
Alpine Swift
Great Tit

13th July
Ringed Plover
Dunlin
Redshank

15th July
Magpie
Stonechat
Common Kestrel
Sparrowhawk
Roller
Long-legged Buzzard
Green Sandpiper

16th July
Woodchat Shrike
Raven
Cory's Shearwater
Bonelli's Eagle

17th July
Jackdaw
Yelkouan Shearwater
Chiffchaff

18th July
Black-headed Gull
Gull-billed Tern
Cretzschmar's Bunting
Rock Dove
Spotted Flycatcher

20th July
Hoopoe

21st July
Citrine Wagtail
Mediterranean Gull

Trip report almost done. In the meantime two species I missed from the list - Sardinian Warbler and Audouin's Gull.

David

Kos 31/07/10 – 08/08/10
Just return from a one week family holidays staying at the Mythos Apartments in Tingaki here’s a list of birds seen based on 3 early morning walks and 2 late afternoon walks around the Alykes Lake plus half a day spent at Old Pyli and birds seen to and from car.

1. Mallard 4 seen at Alykes.
2. Garganey 1 seen at Alykes.
3. Chukar heard only around Old Pyli.
4. European Shag 1 seen of Kos town.
5. Little Egret seen at Alykes with a max count of 7.
6. Grey Heron seen at Alykes with a max count of 18.
7. Short-toed Eagle 1 seen over fields near Alykes.
8. Common Buzzard up to 4 birds seen around Old Pyli area.
9. Long-legged Buzzard 1 seen perched on rocks between Pyli and Kardamena.
10. Common Kestrel seen over Tingaki and Old Pyli.
11. Peregrine 1 seen at Old Pyli.
12. Common Moorhen seen at Alykes with a max count of 5.
13. Black-winged Stilt common at Alykes.
14. Stone Curlew 50 plus birds present in fields near the riding stables at Alykes plus several seen in the sands dunes between the lake and the sea.
15. Kentish Plover seen at Alykes with a max count of 37.
16. Spur-winged Plover 5 seen in fields with the Stone Curlews on the morning of the 7th and again seen in the afternoon on the lake edges.
17. Little Stint seen at Alykes with a max count of 5.
18. Dunlin 1 bird seen at Alykes.
19. Eurasian Curlew 1 bird present all week at Alykes.
20. Marsh Sandpiper 2 seen together at Alykes.
21. Greenshank seen at Alykes with a max count of 3.
22. Green Sandpiper seen at Alykes with a max count of 5.
23. Wood Sandpiper2 seen at Alykes.
24. Yellow-legged Gull seen of the coast with 300 plus present at Alykes all week.
25. Sandwich Tern 1 seen at Alykes.
26. Common Tern 6 watched at close range feeding on small fish at Alykes.
27. Collared Dove common.
28. Common Swift a few seen at Old Pyli and at the Lido water park.
29. Pallid Swift common in Kos town.
30. Bee-eater up to 5 birds seen daily in fields behind the hotel and 25 plus birds seen together in fields at Alykes.
31. European Roller 2 present around Alykes and 5 birds seen on roadside wires on the road near the water park.
32. Hoopoe 1 bird seen at Alykes.
33. Crested Lark common seen almost everywhere.
34. Barn Swallow common.
35. Red-rumped Swallow a few seen with Swallow around Tingaki.
36. House Martin a few seen over the Hotel and a Alykes.
37. Black-headed Wagtail 4 seen at Alykes.
38. Fan-tailed Warbler Common seen in any suitable habitat.
39. Reed Warbler 1 seen at Alykes.
40. Sardinian Warbler 4 birds seen at the Zoo inside the water park.
41. Great Tit 2 birds at Old Pyli.
42. Woodchat Shrike 3 birds seen at Alykes and 2 seen in fields near the water park.
43. Magpie birds seen at Old Pyli and at the Asclepeion.
44. Jackdaw seen at the water park and fields near the riding stables at Alykes with a max count of 150 plus.
45. Hooded Crow very common.
46. Raven 2 bird seen at Old Pyli.
47. House Sparrow Very common.
48. Chaffinch 1 bird seen at Old Pyli.
49. Serin seen in fields at Alykes with amax count of 7.
50. Cretzschmars Bunting seen at Alykes with a max count of 14.

Butterflies.
1. Common Blue.
2. Long Tailed Blue
3. Swallowtail.
4. Clouded Yellow.
5. Large Wall Brown.
6. Small White.
7. Southern Comma
8. Lesser Fiery Copper.
9. Aegean Meadow Brown.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back