• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New Zeiss Victory SF !!!!!! (2 Viewers)

I have the 7X42 UV (2004) and it's about as good as you can get for weight control in a 27 ounce bin. The UV is short and easy to manage. My guess, based on your posts, is that you would tire as quickly or even more easily with the SF or SV 42mm bins.

If you want an immediate and obvious ergonomic boost you'll need a 32mm like the 8X32 SV (21 ounces), a binocular that's every bit as good as the well-loved 42mm's. One trick you can try to develop is to hold your bin in the traditional manner with one hand while a few fingers on your opposite hand support it from underneath. The arm not holding the bin directly can be folded in against your chest reducing muscle strain to an absolute minimum. Switch arms and you've got a relatively pain free method for extended viewing.

Thanks Pilly, but I'm way ahead of you on both counts. I liked the SF when I tried it, but that doesn't mean I'm interested in buying it. I already have a great 42mm and don't feel the need for another.

Yes !...a good 8x30 or 8x32 may be my next (and really the last) binocular. I will consider the SV 8x32 in the mix ... it's great. I tried the field pro SV 8x32 recently and loved the new package.

I have a nice 6x32, but sometimes feel it's not enough power. It's great for close bird watching and is the ultimate warbling bino, but often times I feel I need a little more for general use. I use the 6x32 when I need to carry light and usually that's bringing it to a spot on the way to work or on my lunch break.

7x is really ideal for me and the 7x42 is my primary bino.
I'm going to check out the new CL 8x30 plus others and also wait until sometime next year to make a purchase.

Yes, I do use that technique frequently when my shoulders are tired. Mostly I use both hands traditionally with arms tucked in, but when I feel tired I rest the barrel on the finger tips of one hand just as you describe.

No worries. It was just something my son lectured me on concerning balanced posture. Looks like you've got it covered.

He's right ... I've been trying at work to have better posture while sitting in my cube all day. I don't think I have ideal posture in general...something I need to continue to work on.

I don't think I have ideal posture in general...something I need to continue to work on.

I have always had bad posture (due, I think to me being 6'1" and, in my growing days, therefore slouching to 'fit in' with my buddies). I also, despite being relatively fit, find viewing through binoculars constantly, quite literally a pain (it starts with a gnawing in my shoulders which soon transforms itself into 'camera shake' in my hands.
My son, (who since gaining a Uni degree in Sports Science and Fitness has become a right, know all, pain in the butt) :-O has lectured me on how to walk round without holding my bins (taken to extremes he's quoted how a guy with his arm in a sling can develop frozen shoulder). I didn't think it would make any difference till he started bombarding me with experiments-
1) walk round with one arm free and the other wrapped across your stomach and see how long it is before your shoulder craves movement.
2)wear one flat shoe and one shoe with the tiniest heel (just 1 cm) and see how long it takes for your hips to start aching.
The above happens because the human head weighs without blood 4.5 to 5kg (put equivalent groceries in shopping bag and pick it up -it is unbelievably heavy) and the shoulders/spine/hips have their work cut out just supporting this weight, let alone coping with round shoulders weighed down even more by heavy binoculars.
The upshot is, I've listened to him (when are our kids ever wrong). I wear a tight fitting bomber jacket with the bins jammed in the top (just below my throat) and this takes the weight off the strap, allows me to walk naturally with arms at my sides, and gives me quick access to the bins should that once in a lifetime American vagrant hop into view.
I hate to say it, but it works.

The upshot is, I've listened to him (when are our kids ever wrong). I wear a tight fitting bomber jacket with the bins jammed in the top (just below my throat) and this takes the weight off the strap, allows me to walk naturally with arms at my sides, and gives me quick access to the bins should that once in a lifetime American vagrant hop into view.

Thank you for these interesting insights.
Harnesses do offer a more comfortable carry, but suffer imho because their lateral straps chafe. The OpTech utility strap ($20 on Amazon) provides an unconfining and relaxed bandoleer style support, even for a relatively heavy glass.

I have always had bad posture (due, I think to me being 6'1" and, in my growing days, therefore slouching to 'fit in' with my buddies). I also, despite being relatively fit, find viewing through binoculars constantly, quite literally a pain (it starts with a gnawing in my shoulders which soon transforms itself into 'camera shake' in my hands.
My son, (who since gaining a Uni degree in Sports Science and Fitness has become a right, know all, pain in the butt) :-O has lectured me on how to walk round without holding my bins (taken to extremes he's quoted how a guy with his arm in a sling can develop frozen shoulder). I didn't think it would make any difference till he started bombarding me with experiments-
1) walk round with one arm free and the other wrapped across your stomach and see how long it is before your shoulder craves movement.
2)wear one flat shoe and one shoe with the tiniest heel (just 1 cm) and see how long it takes for your hips to start aching.
The above happens because the human head weighs without blood 4.5 to 5kg (put equivalent groceries in shopping bag and pick it up -it is unbelievably heavy) and the shoulders/spine/hips have their work cut out just supporting this weight, let alone coping with round shoulders weighed down even more by heavy binoculars.

Thanks...that's all very helpful :)

This will address neck & shoulder strain.
http://www.vortexoptics.com/product/vortex-archers-binocular-strap
It has longer neoprene padding than a regular strap so it slides effortlessly over all types of clothing.
Pileatus. Have you tried the air cell straps with the little air bubbles along the length of them. They really help with comfort. They surprised me when I tried one.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Carl-Zeiss...155198&hash=item2844f4b3dd:g:xh8AAOSwwN5ZhYDR

Attachments

• img61576215.jpg
    img61576215.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 31
Last edited:
Instead of nitrogen purged they are HELIUM infused :t:
I've always wondered why makers don't use Helium inside their bins :brains: ....... surely every gram counts?! :cat:

Imagine the marketing kudos :smoke: ..... Helium filled! Lighter than Air!! (o)<
On second thought - given all the marketing bunkum we have witnessed ...... don't 3:)

I suspect the real reason is that when the bins inevitably leak (some brands quicker than others! ;) :) that customers would be able to tell by their increasingly squeaky voices !! :-O

Chosun :gh:

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back