• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Durham Birding (4 Viewers)

Dormans Pool - no sign of the RB Shrike but at 4.00pm very good views of a male Marsh Harrier. Flew in from RSPB Saltholme Bottom Tank, circled Dormans Pool a couple of times but repeatedly mobbed by Herons, Crows and Lapwing before heading off west over to Back Saltholme Causeway and then west over Saltholme Hide towards Haverton Hole.

Bottom Tank - Curlew Sandpiper, Black-tailed Godwit, Snipe, Dunlin, Redshank, Teal, Wigeon, Moorhen, Coot, Little Grebe, Mallard and Little Egret. Spotted Crake reported there today as well - likely the 'possible Little Crake' mentioned last week as it was in the same area.

Attachments

• IMG_0633ao.JPG
    IMG_0633ao.JPG
    91.5 KB · Views: 118
  • IMG_0634ao.JPG
    IMG_0634ao.JPG
    124.4 KB · Views: 151
  • IMG_0637ao.JPG
    IMG_0637ao.JPG
    64.6 KB · Views: 125
  • IMG_0587ao.JPG
    IMG_0587ao.JPG
    154.7 KB · Views: 140
  • IMG_0604ao.JPG
    IMG_0604ao.JPG
    68.5 KB · Views: 135
Obviously still going on -Local man accused of trading rare eggs

RSPB Saltholme yesterday - no sign of the Spotted Crake in the morning at least. In fact not much at all on the Bottom Tank starting off likely due to strimming work right beside the screen! Several birders were more than a little annoyed about that considering it was only the day before it was present late afternoon.

Wildlife Watchpoint a little more productive with Kingfisher flying in just as we arrived. Black-tailed Godwit giving very close views. Also present Greenshank, Little Egret, Snipe and Pied Wagtail in front of the hide. On the feeders/grassy bank - Reed Bunting, Greenfinch, Wren, Goldfinch & Chaffinch plus a female Stonechat. Kestrel and Sparrowhawk also seen.

150+ Pink-footed Goose flying over heading SE.

On leaving around lunchtime a few birds back on the Bottom Tank - Snipe, Black-tailed Godwit, Redshank, Little Egret, Shoveler, Little Grebe, Teal & Wigeon.

A Sparrowhawk has been back in the garden the last few days. Over an hour it was present this morning.

Attachments

• IMG_0843bbo.JPG
    IMG_0843bbo.JPG
    141.5 KB · Views: 134
  • IMG_0824ao.JPG
    IMG_0824ao.JPG
    154.3 KB · Views: 99
  • IMG_1098ao.JPG
    IMG_1098ao.JPG
    157.3 KB · Views: 137
  • IMG_0980ao.JPG
    IMG_0980ao.JPG
    151.8 KB · Views: 142
  • IMG_1274ao.JPG
    IMG_1274ao.JPG
    148 KB · Views: 123
Hawthorne dene feeding station.
I replaced the coconut shells and put up a fatball feeder(dunno how long they'll last)and was rewarded with plenty of the usual within seconds.
Chaffinch,nuthatch,great/blue/willow tit,robin,wren and even the gs woodpecker turned up for a visit.

Kibbleworth Crane

common crane at lamesley common as of now

Nice Local Patch tick :t:

Called in on way back home mid morning.
Crane was in centre of large bare field, viewed from Ouslaw Lane, just north west of Kibblesworth Village at approx NZ235575.

Also Crossbills, Goldfinch, Tree Saprrow & Common Buzzard nearby.

SE

Castle Eden / Saltholme

Blue skys led to afternoon off work.
First stop Castle Eden St James Churchyard.
Yew Trees afforded super views of several goldcrest & nuthatch. Also noted gr tit, blue tit, robin, wren, dunnock,bullfinch, chaffinch, goldfinch,
(nice to see red admiral, painted lady, speckled wood in the chilly sunshine)

Last stop Saltholme,
At and around wildlife watchpoint.
redshank, yellow wagtail, snipe,teal, mallard, wigeon, shoveller, little egret, black tailed gowit (almost came into the hide!), dunlin, lapwing, curlew sandpiper.

All in all, beats working;)

Attachments

• B T Godwit.jpg
    B T Godwit.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 106
  • Egret, little.jpg
    Egret, little.jpg
    109 KB · Views: 97
  • painted Lady.jpg
    painted Lady.jpg
    130.3 KB · Views: 88
Field trip to Northumberland & Holy Island; this Sunday

Field trip by coach:

Due to a last minute cancellation, we have a couple of places available on this Sunday’s field trip. The trips are open to members of both the Durham Bird Club and Teesmouth Bird Club. None members may attend with a small surcharge.
Please contact me before 21:00hrs (9pm) tonight (Friday) to book. First come, frst served.

The trip is as follows:

Sunday 11 October 2009 - Northumberland Coast
Cost £15 per person

October offers us a second chance at hitting it just right in terms of passage migrants by timing our visit to coincide with a major fall of birds. IF we do - and of course the weather plays a huge part in this - then the Northumberland coast can be a very exciting place to watch birds. In such conditions there may be hundreds or even thousands of Redwings arriving from Scandinavia with smaller numbers of Fieldfares, Chaffinches Bramblings and Siskins. More exotic fare might be provided with Yellow-browed or Barred Warbler joining the commoner Chiffchaffs and Blackcaps - Yellow-browed has been seen with some regularity on past trips. Even if there is no fall of passerine migrants there should still be lots to see with many of the wintering birds present. Light bellied Brent Geese should be present in good numbers with plenty of other wildfowl and waders and small numbers of grebes and divers. Red necked and Slavonian Grebes winter off Lindisfarne and may well be present. The October trip also offers the opportunity to renew those friendships forged on the September outing! The bus will pick up as follows:
Sherburn Bus Depot
08:00
Durham Bus Station
08:10
Heworth Interchange
08:45

John W. Todd (<-----click here to email)
Field Trip Secretary

Key received thanks Steve hope to get down there soon. I dont suppose the Spotted Redshank is still there ?

Hello again,
Glad to hear you have your keys to Castle Lake DBC.

If you are a member of Durham Bird Club you can get access to the latest sightings page. Only Durham Bird Club members can view this page. If you are not a member already I would encourage anyone to join.

The latest sightings page include reports of what birds are about and also where the birds are. So you can check the night before you come to the reserve to see what has been around.

I hope this helps,
Andrew K:t:

Last edited:
Common Crane at Ouslaw Lane in Kibblesworth at 17:05. It was worth searching for that's for sure.:t:
Nice to see this fabulous bird again.

Attachments

• DSC00660.jpg
    DSC00660.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 126
Thanks GB will try to get there tomorrow.

I have looked on google at the location info given but am still a bit confused SORRY.

Is the hide below the Sewage Works i cant see it on Google Earth.

Last edited:
Thanks GB will try to get there tomorrow.

I have looked on google at the location info given but am still a bit confused SORRY.

Is the hide below the Sewage Works i cant see it on Google Earth.

Davy
below is a link to an article from the clubs quarterly magazine.

http://www.durhambirdclub.org/dbc.pl/articles/Bishop Middleham (focus on), Lek Spring 2006.pdf

the new hide not marked on this doc, but if you look from top of hill, then you cant miss the 3' x 2' black & white directional sign.
if you are on site & are still struggling feel free to give me a ring 079 79 60 1231
the document lists other sites, the hide & lake are only part of the attraction of a days birding at Bish Midd.
Steve

Last edited:
Thanks for reply Steve i cant open link access for members only.

Im sure i will find it, i just like to be sure so im not wasting time wondering down the wrong lanes or roads.

Thanks for reply Steve i cant open link access for members only.

Im sure i will find it, i just like to be sure so im not wasting time wondering down the wrong lanes or roads.

Sorry Davy - i thought the doc would open if it was cut & pasted here, nevermind you'll be able to read it soon enough.

The hide is at approx grid ref NZ 327308 ( path to it is between M-Way & Sewage Works )

Last edited:
Hartlepool Headland - 9.00 am - Firecrest showing well by the Putting Green/Borough Hall. Two Kestrel playing tag over the church by the Borough Hall first thing.

Newburn Bridge - Med. Gull, Sanderling c.30, Ringed Plover, Turnstone.

RSPB Saltholme - 11.00 am - Jack Snipe in view from the screen on the Bottom Tank - a little too distant for anything more than record shots. Also lots of Black-tailed Godwit, Common Snipe, Teal, Gadwall, Wigeon and Little Egret x5.

Attachments

• IMG_2016ao.JPG
    IMG_2016ao.JPG
    152.8 KB · Views: 118
  • IMG_2053ao.JPG
    IMG_2053ao.JPG
    140.9 KB · Views: 115
  • IMG_2172ao.jpg
    IMG_2172ao.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 98
  • IMG_2452ao.jpg
    IMG_2452ao.jpg
    167 KB · Views: 124
  • IMG_2579ao.jpg
    IMG_2579ao.jpg
    167.8 KB · Views: 129
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back