• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Northumberland flowers ID (1 Viewer)

Finally, this succulent plant growing on the edge of the River Wansbeck. Not sure if it's natural or planted deliberately... and no idea where to start with ID!

Native- Biting Stonecrop, Sedum acre. If you taste it, you'll find out why it's so named!

Hi both,

Could the fumitory be Common Ramping Fumitory Fumaria muralis and the fern just a Male Fern Dryopteris cf. filix-mas?

Cheers,

The fern looks like Scaly Male Fern Dryopteris affinis, or just possibly (as it is so neatly symmetrical) Ostrich Fern Matteuccia struthiopteris (not native; an occasional garden escape). Where was the fern? I've seen Matteuccia struthiopteris at Nunnykirk, there's a planting of it there with some escaping into wild in the wood there. Definitely not any of the Polystichum shield ferns though.

Edit - can you get a photo of the underside of a frond on that fern?

Last edited:
I did originally think Matteucia with the shuttlecock habit, but discounted it as a wild plant up there. Have seen it naturalised in the London area.

Thanks folks.

The pentaradial symmetry of the fern really jumped out at me, which is why I took the photo (more for aesthetics than anything else, but then thought it would be interesting to know what it might be).

I have no photos of the underside, unfortunately - I should know from previous id challenges how important this is, but I was already getting left behind by my family on a family walk, so just took a couple of photos from above!!

In terms of location, this was along Haltwhistle burn 2-3 miles north of Haltwhistle (not far from the Military road)

Got a bit of a backlog of on identification requests, so here are a couple from a few weeks ago, taken on Holy Island.

I think the first could be Marsh Woundwort, as the flowers are too pink for Hedge Woundwort. Is that right?

Second, some red, thistle-like leaves from the dunes. No flower, so possibly not possible to ID, but quite distinctive leaves :)

Third, I am pretty sure is Grass-of-Parnassus, but it's completely new to me, so would welcome a confirmation (or correction!)

Finally, a plant with quite distinctive, round, succulent leaves growing along the causeway.

Attachments

• unknown_HI_1.jpg
    unknown_HI_1.jpg
    398 KB · Views: 135
  • unknown_HI_2-2.jpg
    unknown_HI_2-2.jpg
    805.9 KB · Views: 116
  • unknown_HI_3.jpg
    unknown_HI_3.jpg
    198 KB · Views: 123
  • unknown_HI_4.jpg
    unknown_HI_4.jpg
    673.8 KB · Views: 124
Well, Spring is in the air, and that means the camera-phone is starting to work overtime when I'm out and about.

My first couple of unknowns for the year...

The first was in nearby hedgerows, and the spotted leaves led me to wonder about this being Lungwort, but then I think this would have 5 petals, not 6... and then I thought possibly a garden escape, although there were 4 or 5 flowers irregularly spaced along a 30m stretch of bushes.

Second, a tiny flower growing on a mossy wall in a more upland area (around 700'). The plant was no more than a 4-5cm high, and the flowers less than 1cm. Some kind of chickweed? (Would also be interested in any id pointers for the moss, so I've added an extra picture!)

Attachments

• unknown_flower1.jpg
    unknown_flower1.jpg
    159.9 KB · Views: 107
  • unknown_flower2.jpg
    unknown_flower2.jpg
    645.3 KB · Views: 127
  • unknown_moss.jpg
    unknown_moss.jpg
    886.1 KB · Views: 117
Not sure why this has now been moved to the fungi/lichen section?

1 a garden escape- a lungwort, probably a form of Pulmonaria saccharata
2 Whitlow Grass, Erophila verna

Not sure why this has now been moved to the fungi/lichen section?

1 a garden escape- a lungwort, probably a form of Pulmonaria saccharata
2 Whitlow Grass, Erophila verna

Thanks. No, me neither. I couldn't find it just now and tgen realised it's in the wrong place. Did it used to be all one forum (flowers/fungi)?

Thanks for the IDs

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back