• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

PG tomorrow? (1 Viewer)

Am I right in thinking Porthgwarra looks very good weatherwise for Great Shearwater tomorrow?

There's so many around the area at the moment that you should see a couple any day so long as you stick it out long enough, almost regardless of weather. A good heavy shower always helps to drive them into view.

Am I right in thinking Porthgwarra looks very good weatherwise for Great Shearwater tomorrow?

Looked average - mid strength wind and no grim weather associated. But as said above, the numbers around at the moment mean a stint on any given day is likely to produce. I'd be keeping an eye on Wed through Friday if I were you...

Went for it, and saw 3 Geat Shears yesterday morning, so quite happy thanks :t:. B :). Added bonus of a couple of Wilson's Petrels (out of 3 or 4 seen while I was there), as well as loads of Storm Petrels (maybe 100 seen while I was there), a few Sooties and Balearics etc.

How good (or bad) were the views of the Wilson's, Larry? Not sure that Runnel Stone-distance birds would add much to my previous encounter. Really waiting for winds going north-west after prolonged south-westerlies and a chance a good passage of close-in Storm-petrels at Pendeen (hopefully with added Tropicbird ;)).

Also wondering about the strike rate on these Penzance pelagics. Feeling that I smelled of chum (though I think that was mainly psychological) for about three weeks/thirty showers after doing Scilly ones has rather put me off pelagics, especially as we missed out on Wilson's the year we did it.

PG Weds 2nd Aug

Thinking of coming down from the MidlandS this weds the 2nd...good wind directioN, but prolonged rain. Any cover at PG?

Cheers

How good (or bad) were the views of the Wilson's, Larry? Not sure that Runnel Stone-distance birds would add much to my previous encounter. .

The ones I got onto were much closer than the Runnel, but even then the views are hugely dependent on what scope you've got. Folks with snazzy new scopes that are clear on 70 mag were enjoying features I had no chance of seeing with mine at 30x. They were identifiable, but I was certainly glad I'd had close views of them before from boats.

I can't get down till Friday morning. The forecasts show the wind swinging westerly over Thur night, and NW by midmorning. Pg, Pendeen or stay home? Advice would be appreciated. I don't know what happens at PG if the winds swing...does the passage continue for a while?

I can't get down till Friday morning. The forecasts show the wind swinging westerly over Thur night, and NW by midmorning. Pg, Pendeen or stay home? Advice would be appreciated. I don't know what happens at PG if the winds swing...does the passage continue for a while?

Fea's past lunchtime today.

Pendeen looking better for Friday, PG on Thursday, and Saturday at Pendeen for any stragglers! You really don't want to be staying at home when so many birds of the cornish coasts!

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back