• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Another Pipit ID please (1 Viewer)

I'm a little confused here. Poor quality accepted but the bird in the photo has a brownish look on my laptop esp. the wings. Slightly overexposed maybe due to the afternoon sun but quite approximate to the birds' actual colour. Maybe I'm having color calibration problems. I dont have any more images either.

My first thought was Water Pipit - but I completely can see where Tim is coming from. Its funny in my notes on the only Citrine I've seen, it says, looks strangely like a Water Pipit!

I'll go with with Tim on this and will add Yellow Wagtail to the list. This looks very like a 1st winter M.f. beema.
Cheers!
sumit

Are we looking at the same picture? It looks like a water pipit to me! Look at the first water pipit pic in Oriental Bird Images - a dead ringer.

Rob

edenwatcher said:
Are we looking at the same picture? It looks like a water pipit to me! Look at the first water pipit pic in Oriental Bird Images - a dead ringer.

Rob

The malar stripe is the biggest clue that its a Wapit - it does look ever so Wag-like though

Jane Turner said:
The malar stripe is the biggest clue that its a Wapit - it does look ever so Wag-like though

Wow a Wapit !
My first WAgtail-piPIT hybrid? :)
Just kidding....

I'm quite sure its a pipit.

Tim Allwood said:
is it standing in a river/stream?

Tim, This bird is standing in water..well it is on my screen.

Does Water Pipit wade or shy away from wading?..serious question.

John.

Trying to find a pic of winter blakistoni wapit... and failing! They are pale and nealy unmarked. I've seen one that is so like this bird it could be twins - just can't find it now!

Not disputing too hard - just keeping the debate open.. I can't get past the fact this bird has the somewhat intangible feel of a Wapit!

The daft thing is that this would take about a pico second in the field!

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back