• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Upton Warren (11 Viewers)

AF Jacobs

I have just received a phone call from Terry H, who informed me of the sad news that Arthur had passed away today. Having known Arthur for well over 30 years, he will always be known as Mr Upton Warren to me and many others from the 'old days'.
RIP Arthur.

I have just received a phone call from Terry H, who informed me of the sad news that Arthur had passed away today. Having known Arthur for well over 30 years, he will always be known as Mr Upton Warren to me and many others from the 'old days'.
RIP Arthur.

Wow - puts birding into perspective.

We will speak to the Trust on Monday to ensure that Upton Warren has a fitting tribute to a man who for many was synonomous with the reserve.

A record shot of the Med Gull from today, a quite advanced 1st winter/summer bird, with very vivid orange bill and legs. Flew off north at around 7pm and seemed to drop onto Moors.
DSCN0156.JPG

The SEO was seen while i was watching the Gull, but when i got there, the bird had seeming dropped into the grass and the strong wind kept it there, with no sign over 40 mins before i had to get back to do Ict Coursework:-C
Sorry, neither of these are in the log, we left in abit of a hurry!
MB
Edit- just seen previous posts,
RIP Arthur

RIP Arthur.

I have only known Arthur at UW for about 5 years but will miss the chats I had with him as he willingly passed on his knowledge.

Rob

The passing of AFJ is surely the end of an era. Nobody else could trace their close association to UW back to the 1940's (or before). An enduring mentor for many of us. RIP.

It was always a pleasure to meet Arthur at Upton; he was unfailingly cheerful, ever ready to share his knowledge and his fascinating memories of Upton over the years. He was kind and generous in helping this novice to identify any unfamiliar bird. He will be much missed.

Peter

I want to endorse what John, Phil and Dave have said and hope that Arthur gets the 'Upton Warren' tribute he deserves. Like John and many others, I knew Arthur for 30 years and his familiar presence on the reserve will be sadly missed.

Des.

It is sad to think that we will no longer see Arthur at Upton Warren again. I do hope that the trust will pay some sort of tribute to a man who put a lot of time into making the reserve the special place it is. RIP Arthur.

I concur with all that has been said about Arthur, whilst I did not know him very long what I did know of him is that he was always prepared to give a novice like me advice. He showed me my first ever stonechat (something I will be forever grateful for).

R.I.P. Arthur

A visit to Upton Warren was made even more pleasurable if Arthur was around. Always willing to offer advice and share his knowledge. He will be sadly missed.

The responses to the sad news of Arthurs death is a fitting tribute to the impact he had on Upton Warren as a nature reserve. From my first visits and work parties in the Seventies Arthur enriched every regular birders visits. He will be missed but has left a history for us to build upon at the Mecca in the Midlands.

a few shots from yesterday

couple of long shots of the owl and a couple of the swallows

Attachments

• DSC03923.jpg
    DSC03923.jpg
    131.9 KB · Views: 102
  • DSC03924.jpg
    DSC03924.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 84
  • DSC03776.jpg
    DSC03776.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 66
  • DSC03912.jpg
    DSC03912.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 65
the otter

3 distant pics from last week

Attachments

• DSC02931.jpg
    DSC02931.jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 82
  • DSC02930.jpg
    DSC02930.jpg
    164.9 KB · Views: 80
  • DSC02932.jpg
    DSC02932.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 84
Arthur. I am sure I have met and spoke with him, but I have problems with remembering names. Anyone got a photo they could post?
On the same topic, what about a rogues gallery, so we could put faces to avatars? Or is there one I am not aware of.

I want to endorse what John, Phil and Dave have said and hope that Arthur gets the 'Upton Warren' tribute he deserves. Like John and many others, I knew Arthur for 30 years and his familiar presence on the reserve will be sadly missed.Des.

It'll be (in fact has been) odd not seeing him around on Saturday and Sunday mornings. RIP.

How about naming the new Moors hide the Jacobs Hide, Arthur Jacobs Hide or AFJ Hide?

Mike

Arthur

I remember him walking along in front of me, showing me where the path was, when the Flashes were flooded one year. I'll miss him and his ever cheerful nature.

RIP.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back