• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk birding (5 Viewers)

............with a Red-necked Phalarope, which recently had graced Holme for a couple days- the news remaining ‘private’. ..................

Great!!!!! (Sarcastic 'great') nice of someone to not to bother to tell anyone else, especially if the bird was on the NWT Wader Pools (guessing here). After all I only pay membership to several organisations in Norfolk including NWT, NOA, RSPB, etc etc and expect birds to be suppressed on nature reserves!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (not!!!!):C

yes

Great!!!!! (Sarcastic 'great') nice of someone to not to bother to tell anyone else, especially if the bird was on the NWT Wader Pools (guessing here). After all I only pay membership to several organisations in Norfolk including NWT, NOA, RSPB, etc etc and expect birds to be suppressed on nature reserves!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (not!!!!):C

i agree with you Penny its nice to find out at the time a bird is their

Do not forget the birds and their welfare should come first on a Nature Reserve or any where else. Only if there is no likelyhood of disturbance to the bird or any other birds nearby should any news be released.

I sometimes think we forget the meaning of the words Nature reserve = A reserve for nature . Not a place for public entertainment. Has anyone ever wondered why almost all the large forest raptors in Norfolk nest in private woodlands and not in areas open to the public. Answer simple nobody disturbes the woodland .

I pay my membership to conservation bodies because of the work they do not to have access to their reserves and I certantly do not expect them or want them to find my birds for me.

Last edited:
Titchwell June 22nd

Today's highlights

Montagu's harrier - male NW @ 11:50
Spoonbill - 2 immature east @ 12:00
Green sandpiper - 1 west over reserve
Spotted redshank - 1 on saltmarsh
Med gull - 4 west over saltmarsh
Greenshank - 1 on brackish marsh
Knot - 2500 roosting on fresh marsh

Paul

Bridled at lack of news of Sunday's Tern

Can anyone elucidate, now that one's been ID'd up Northum ?

I find it surprising that no-one has commented/asked/lamented etc.

RBA had a report of one go past Cley at 3 p.m.- and that's it !

Who knows more ? (Not that I'll be bridal gown that far.)

Titchwell June 23rd

Today's highlights

Spotted redshank - 3 on fresh marsh
Ruff - 3 on fresh marsh
Little gull - 3 on fresh marsh
Hobby - 1 over reedbed
Red crested pochard - pair on pool from Fen Hide

Paul

Like a Lesser Black-backed Gull- but a tern !

It seems that this is the gist of what two visiting birders were overheard discussing at the Swanton Novers raptor watch point, the other day.

This was, apparently, BEFORE any news of the Northumberland bird was released, which might make it more credible.

Unless the creature returns and, more importantly, is seen and ID'd, that could be a missed 1st for Norfolk.

Last edited:
Titchwell June 25th

Today's highlights

Montagu's harrier - male south over reserve @ 12:20
Spotted redshank - 6 on fresh marsh
Ruff - 3 on fresh marsh
Red crested pochard - drake on grazing marsh pool
Hobby - 1 over fresh marsh

Paul

It seems that this is the gist of what two visiting birders were overheard discussing at the Swanton Novers raptor watch point, the other day.

This was, apparently, BEFORE any news of the Northumberland bird was released, which might make it more credible.

Unless the creature returns and, more importantly, is seen and ID'd, that could be a missed 1st for Norfolk.

Humm! Bit big and white-headed!!

Sounds a bit like Norfolk's '1st' Audouin's Gull, another one that got away (to the Humber?!?):eek!:

Oh well, hopefully there will be 'another one' and those of us who enjoy seeing birds like this, will be able to catch up with it (or even find it...if we get pictures and witnesses etc!!o:D)

I had a few days in north Norfolk last week and enjoyed some good birds.

The spoonbill(s) at Cley and elsewhere on 22nd/23rd were good, as were the large number of migrant waders and a bittern at Titchwell on 25th. It was great to see nesting terns at several locations too - you don't know how lucky you are to have these lovely birds!

Visits to the honey buzzard viewpoints on 23rd proved fruitless (common buzzard, sparrowhawk and barn owl only), but the female montagus harrier was showing well on the morning of the 25th. An RSPB worker had seen food passes and an extra male earlier that morning.

Hoping I'm not re-opening a hornet's nest here, but it was easy to find the location of the latter....stroll into Cley visitor centre, browse a couple of books and Bob's your uncle!

Lots of little owls in the area south of Kings Lynn during daylight hours of the evening, all perched on posts and cables. I suppose they've all got large families to feed

Incidentally I thought I may have seen a great white egret flying west -> east across the marshes north of Burnham Overy Staithes on Friday 25th about lunch time. Did anyone else see one?

Last edited:
At last after 13 years in N norfolk, managed to catch up with one of these beasts. Worth visiting Titchwell for.

John

http://kellingnaturegallery.fotopic.net/

Well done John:t: It has been so exhaustingly hot at work, all I have been capable of doing when I get home, is to collapse into a chair - if its still there tomorrow I will try and make the effort to go and have a look.

Best Wishes Penny:girl:

Last edited:
John,
Thanks for posting those pictures. I too was there yesterday and had stunning views through binoculars but couldn't get the scope on it for a picture. Yours are a momento of a truly wonderful day so thank you again.

Hugh

Titchwell Wednesday 30 June 2010

Camberwell beauty picnic area
Little gull 3
Ruff 11
Spotted redshank 15
Common crane 4 west
Tree creeper 1 start of fen trail...one of our rarest birds of the year..... so far!

Buff breasted Sandpiper this evening at Titchwell on the fresh marsh. Don't know who found it, but Andy W. sent me a text to say he saw it along with Justin L. around 8.20pmish on Friday evening.

Apparently a single birder saw the Buff breasted Sandpiper at 5.15am and it's not been seen since. I arrived at 6.40am. Massive flock of Knot on the scrapes, little ringed plover, greenshank, several ruff, several linnets. No sign of the Camberwell Beauty! Now sitting having a cup of tea in the shade by centre.

Just come up on the pager (RBA): green sandpiper and a spoonbill on front of island mere hide - 10.35am.

See blog for rest.....

Last edited:
Titchwell Marsh RSPB Saturday 3rd July
Ruff 8
Dunlin 21
Knot 2000
Bar tailed godwit 10
Black tailed godwit 20+
Little ringed plover 1
Spotted redshank 22
Greenshank 1
Golden plover 1 sum plum