• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mallorca 2013 (1 Viewer)

Mike Montier

Happy New Year to all readers of this thread and good birding, especially to anyone entering "The Big Year". May 2013 bring lots of great birds and I will update this thread as much as possible throughout the year. Just a short walk to the beach party today and a quick dip. (In the sea that is!) Audouin's gull, Black redstart, Hoopoe and Thekla lark was a nice start. Mike

Happy New Year Mike.

Just to tempt anybody thinking of a trip to this lovely island this year, a few shots of the island's specials...

Attachments

• Balearic Warbler mal 1.jpg
    Balearic Warbler mal 1.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 321
  • Audouins Gull mal 2.jpg
    Audouins Gull mal 2.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 159
  • Barn Owl mal.jpg
    Barn Owl mal.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 161
  • Algerian Hedgehog mal 1.jpg
    Algerian Hedgehog mal 1.jpg
    146.8 KB · Views: 323
Happy New Year Mike

That was very hardy of you!

Good luck with "The Big Year".

It's looking less likely that there will be any group visits to Mallorca this year but I hope to be able to make at least one 'private' one as there are a couple of bits of research that I need to undertake.

Best wishes

Martin

Mortitx is the place to be at the moment. Bramblings and Hawfinches have been seen, both difficult here. Also a mega rare Yellowhammer has also been seen,
I went today but no luck, going again Wednesday. Good numbers of Common Crane being seen at Maria de la Salut.

I've just returned from Tunisia as it wasn't a birding holliday I only got to birdwatch around the hotel grounds so I'm really looking forward to my Mallorca holliday booked for May which will be strictly birding, I can't wait to get back there!

I spent the day at Mortitx but had no luck on the three target species; Yellowhammer, Hawfinch and Brambling. Three Black vultures, two Booted eagles and a Blackcap was some compensation though.

Happy New Year to you too Martin, I do hope you make it sometime in the year. Thanks for your good wishes for the "Big Year" but I am miles behind already having had a string of visitors here. It will have to be a case of the tortoise and the hare!

The Majorcan "Big Year" already has someone who's passed the 100th mark... |:x| (consider that in just 10 days...)
Among the latest interesting species seen, a Jack Snipe at the Albufera, a Marsh Sandpiper at Salobrar and Red-billed Chough in the southern part of the Tramontana mountains :t:

It's going to be an interesting year B :)

Over 100 is a great start, I am on 28. Will be going to Salobrar at the week-end. Any news of the Yellowhammer? Was it just seen once or have others seen it since? I located Cirl Bunting at Mortitx but could not see a Yellowhammer in with them! Mike

A short trip to Salobrar today: 6 Marsh harriers, 2 Ospreys, 4 Red kites. 2 Booted eagles, 1 Peregrine, 1 Kestrel and the highlight of a ring-tailed Hen harrier were the raptors present. Also Golden plover, Avocet, Ruff. Kentish plover,Little stint, Dunlin, Black-winged stilt and Greater Flamingo. 86 Lapwing. Year total: 65

A few Yelkouan shearwaters are being seen from the coastal watchpoints, mainly in the North. I usually see them from Cala Rajada but the point at Formentor is also good.

Gannets and Great skuas being seen off the coasts, both good birds to see here. A couple of Redwings and hopefully more to come with the colder weather approaching. Mike

A Common Scoter Melanitta nigra seen in Porto Colom a few days ago. Good rarity for the Balearics! here's a link to the new Balearic rarity blog:
http://rareresesornibalears.blogspot.com.es/ Some stuff in English, and the jist is easy to follow :t:

Two "Big Yearers" now on plus 120 species. Everyone's really pleased about how this "competition" is getting everyone out more and the great publicity bird conservation is getting. Hopefully get a few articles in the local papers.

On another note a good invasion of Siskins, Goldcrest, Redwing and Mistle Thrush on the island, these species are really irregular migrants here, we can go loads of winters without seeing them.

Future trip

Hi,
Planning a trip for a week commencing 26th April. Looking at staying in Puerto Pollensa but not hiring a car. Made a similar trip about 3 years ago. Has much changed? Can anyone recommend some other places we may try. Last time we went to Boquer Valley and S'Albufera Marshes quite extensively. Hoping the bus routes may tie in with some good birding areas.
Thanks
Rachel

Hi Rachel. Pretty much everything is the same here, you have been to the hotspots and are staying in the right place. Albufereta Marsh is also great as you probably know. The watchtower at Albercutx is fantastic for migration and you will be here at the right time. I will keep posting with sightings and will try to help further nearer the time. Mike

Hi Rachel

I would recommend s'Albufereta (on the Bay of Pollensa), Son Real (just after C'an Picafort so may be on the same bus route as s'Albufera). I'd also recommend getting A Birding Tourist's Guide to Majorca (see http://www.birdingmajorca.com).

I'm sure Mike and others will have additional sites/recommendations (he beat me to it!).

I'm sure that you will have a great time.

Martin

Thanks Estebannic, the new web site is great and just what is needed here. The "Big Year" has had a big impact, I have written about it twice in the "Daily Bulletin" and more people are now out in the field. Consequently more birds are being found, no surprise there, I always knew the birds were there, just more people looking now. This will all help put Mallorca more on the map as a birding destination. The only surprise is just how seriouusly the locals are taking it, I was out with a guy today who is on 110 so far. I am on 76 so I kept quiet.. Mike

Large flocks of Golden Plover seen today around Salobrar de Campos. Also Red Kite, Osprey, Booted Eagle and lots of Marsh Harrier, Ringtail Hen Harrier, Ruff, Greenshank, over 100 Flamingos and a spanking Bluethroat. 9 Common Crane on the way home too. Mike

Hi Mike
Saw your articles in the Bulletin... Great stuff!! Hopefully we'll get some Spanish covering aswell. Had a drive around this afternoon stopping off at the reservoir near Son Ferriol, plenty of ducks around, Widgeon, Pochard and Tufted Duck among others. At Salobrar later on a Ruff and a Sanderling noteworthy.
I'm on 99 at the moment, missing loads of winterers yet though! A couple of great Skuas have also been seen today.

Steve

Last edited:
Dragon era

I'm looking forward to a week's birding based in Port de Pollenca at the end of April. Is Dragonera worth a day trip? How easy is it to get out there?

Richard

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back