• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Pawnee National Grasslands, Colorado (1 Viewer)

jimk

A great day even though I arrived late in the morning. Highlights were two Brown Thrashers in a knock-down drag-out fight clashing in midair and tumbling to the ground. Also a Swainsons hawk w/ nest. Both the McCown's and Chestnut-collared longspur. Numerous Lark Buntings and a lone Loggerhead Shrike. Still have not found the elusive Mountain Plover.....

Sounds like a wonderful day, Jim! I've heard good reports about Pawnee and would love to visit someday.

A report from there would be terrific for our GGBsC III -- the world-wide bird species count we're doing the last weekend in May. Being a holiday in the US, perhaps you'd have time to get out there? We'd love to have you participate and give us a report from a place like Pawnee. You can find full details on the Member's Notice Board in the post "ANNOUNCING: GGBsC III Rules and Registration." Join us, won't you?

Can't promise anything - it's a two hour drive for me. Great place to visit in the spring though. I saw 36 species today - a bit low for the area

The Pawnee Nat'l Grassland is one of my favorite birding spots. I usually get to pass through there on my way to Montana each summer. We got hit with a tremendous lightning storm while at Pawnee Buttes last year, so we didn't get to spend the time finding the longspurs. We were going to camp, but we wound up in the Holiday Inn in Cheyenne.

Enjoy your birds. Let us know what you're seeing.

Steve in Houston

Steve Gross said:
Enjoy your birds. Let us know what you're seeing.

Steve in Houston

Steve, here is a photo I just got back taken on this trip
8629swainsons.jpg

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back