• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Ring Flash-anyone tried this type? (1 Viewer)

Hmmm, no indication that it would fit on a 72mm filter thread, so it may not fit your lens. It's not a ring flash as the LEDs are on all the time, so no problem with metering. But I wonder how powerful it is.

Hmmm, no indication that it would fit on a 72mm filter thread, so it may not fit your lens. It's not a ring flash as the LEDs are on all the time, so no problem with metering. But I wonder how powerful it is.
Yes-I noticed it didn't mention the 72mm thread. However there are a number of companies abroad (for abroad read China) offering the same system under various names and they offer an extra adapter i.e the 72mm. As I prefer to buy UK I have sent the UK supplier an email asking about the 72mm but so far no response.

Incidentally Frank-I enjoyed looking through your web site (although looking at your range of gear and places you have visited did me no good at all:-C)
but the intro told me most photos were of UK birds-however everything I could see was 'Africa based'???

Last edited:
Yes-I noticed it didn't mention the 72mm thread. However there are a number of companies abroad (for abroad read China) offering the same system under various names and they offer an extra adapter i.e the 72mm. As I prefer to buy UK I have sent the UK supplier an email asking about the 72mm but so far no response.

Keep us informed. At that price a friend of mine could be very interested.

but the intro told me most photos were of UK birds-however everything I could see was 'Africa based'???

Whoops! I'd forgotten I'd written that. The plan was to get all the UK stuff done first, but the plan was changed and I'm just about getting to the stage where the African stuff is finished. Looks like I need to do some editing. Thanks.

You don't mention what you want to use it for.

While having the lights on all the time won't be a problem for plants, and probably not much of a problem for non-flying insects (if you are quick), it will likely be a big problem for more nervous critters such as butterflies, dragonflies and reptiles since they are very sensitive to changes in light and shadows.

Thomas

You don't mention what you want to use it for.
While having the lights on all the time won't be a problem for plants, and probably not much of a problem for non-flying insects (if you are quick), it will likely be a big problem for more nervous critters such as butterflies, dragonflies and reptiles since they are very sensitive to changes in light and shadows.
Thomas

Excellent point-I "thought" the continuous lights was optional but since you pointed that out I checked more carefully (as quote below)
As it is operated via the hotshoe I assumed it would work as a flash unit would.
I wanted it 99% for insects and butterflies.

Continuous lighting : This lighting unit provide a continuous lighting (not flashing), the continuous lighting allows you handle exposure easily

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back