• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Heron, Perth (1 Viewer)

cossypha

Hi

Is this a juvenile White-faced Heron? I saw it at Herdsman Lake in Perth.

Thanks!

Attachments

• DSC_1839.jpg
    DSC_1839.jpg
    254.3 KB · Views: 921
  • DSC_1835.jpg
    DSC_1835.jpg
    233.4 KB · Views: 746
Does Purple Heron even occur in Australia? Could it not be a juv White-faced or White-necked Heron?
Yes, it was definitely in Perth, on the 22nd of Feb this year. I'm a bit behind on sorting out my photographs... I didn't think much of it at the time - just realised that I wasn't sure what this bird is!

Does Purple Heron even occur in Australia? Could it not be a juv White-faced or White-necked Heron?
Yes, it was definitely in Perth, on the 22nd of Feb this year. I'm a bit behind on sorting out my photographs... I didn't think much of it at the time - just realised that I wasn't sure what this bird is!

Nope, no records that I'm aware of, but it's not a young White-faced proportions all wrong

It was very close to the boardwalk at the wildlife centre. It flew up from the ground into the trees, where it sat for a short time.

It was very close to the boardwalk at the wildlife centre. It flew up from the ground into the trees, where it sat for a short time.

I would recommend looking at the BirdLife Australia Rarities Committee page and putting together a submission - see http://www.tonypalliser.com/barc/barc-home.html

As mentioned, it would (as far as I know) be a first for Aus

...............and that's my local patch, so I'm a tiny bit gripped off!!

Ok, I will put together a rarity submission.
I'm annoyed I didn't get to this sooner!!! But as I said, I didn't think much of the bird at the time, and I've only just got around to sorting the photographs...

Thanks everyone. Any opinions are still welcome!
Nick

Here's a photo showing where the heron was seen. You can (barely) see the heron on the top of the trees, in the center of the picture. The wildlife center is to the left of this spot.

Attachments

• DSC_1844b.jpg
    DSC_1844b.jpg
    468.4 KB · Views: 402
Congratulations Cossypha on an excellent sighting.

The birding-aus list mentions another sighting in WA on 23 Aug '91 which was never officially submitted so if submitted and accepted would be the first.

Hah, best I saw was a Spangled Drongo in western Victoria. No one else saw that either but me.

Tis a good sighting indeed.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back