• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Seemingly the bird of the moment.. (2 Viewers)

Hey all - finished the cake bits now and back on the book (even though the cakes paid more for a lot less work...!) and have got a deadline of Feb now so the end is in sight...yeay!! Here's one of the latest, myzomelas....

melanesia plate 51 (Large).jpg

(Sorry the lighting's a bit crap.....!)

Dear Birdboy.........i have only just stumbled across this thread...your 'stuff' is stunning...!! I looked at the wallcreeper pic and thought..'jeeez'!!..[or something similar]...and then i saw your alpine accentor painting n nearly fell off me swivel seat...what an 'atmosphere'...!!

You are one talented fellow.....:t:

ps..as i am a 'pitta-freak'...do you have any paintings/sketches that we could have a look at..?

pps....and as i have quickly gleaned from skim reading this thread that you enjoy the odd 'ale'....have one on me...B :)....make it two...B :)

All the best......

Dear Birdboy.........i have only just stumbled across this thread...your 'stuff' is stunning...!! I looked at the wallcreeper pic and thought..'jeeez'!!..[or something similar]...and then i saw your alpine accentor painting n nearly fell off me swivel seat...what an 'atmosphere'...!!

You are one talented fellow.....:t:

ps..as i am a 'pitta-freak'...do you have any paintings/sketches that we could have a look at..?

pps....and as i have quickly gleaned from skim reading this thread that you enjoy the odd 'ale'....have one on me...B :)....make it two...B :)

All the best......
Well you've certainly stumbled into the rght bar for a B :)or B :)B :), User! Drop by more often, mate!

Cheers Tim..[literally]..;)

Always nice to find a friendly thread where i can 'drop in' and have a woffle...[please feel free to 'bar' me if i happen to get disorderly in the 'writing' department]...;)B :)

Adios...for now....all the best to you in the windswept land of Orkneyshire....

B :)B :) Damned good of ya, User, cheers mate!! Also, I know artists find their own styles, but you've developed a posting style that's definitely all yours ;) and long may it continue!
So just for you, through the square window today we have some sketches from Kingfisher Park, especially for a fellow pitta-freak....these Oz pittas are just so much more showy and brassy than their other cousins (typical Aussies I guess...;))

Noisy Pitta (Large).jpgNoisy Pitta (1) (Large).jpg

Just found another couple from Kingfisher Park, not more pittas this time User though...you'll have to wait as it's not good for you to get them all at once! ;) Another cracking bird that came just closer and closer the stiller (is that a word??) you sat....(Uh oh, the dots are a-catching.... noooooooo!:-O)

Spectacled Monarch (Large).jpgSpectacled Monarch (1) (Large).jpg

God, now I'm waffling...been up all night painting cuckooshrikes with the idea that because of all the Leach's past Portland yday it must be worth a couple of hours at Selsey this morning and seeing as I hate getting up early I find it easier to stay up....but it's peeing down outside and my bed is looking so welcoming....and dammit, those dots are back - quick, get a hyphen in.....aarrgghhh!

God, now I'm waffling...been up all night painting cuckooshrikes with the idea that because of all the Leach's past Portland yday it must be worth a couple of hours at Selsey this morning and seeing as I hate getting up early I find it easier to stay up....but it's peeing down outside and my bed is looking so welcoming....and dammit, those dots are back - quick, get a hyphen in.....aarrgghhh!

Now did you see any Ads... or was that bed too tempting ? ;)

Still wearing me burka :-O

Some very beautiful drawing here Ads - the characterisation in the first page of pittas is exceptional - a sheet of really 'knowing' drawings (oy, I'm nearly a poet :) )and the monarch sketches are bouncing about - terrific.
By the way Ads - bed's not all that it's cracked up to be; spent half of last night consoling youngest child with a broken tv - much better to spend the wee hours productively.

Thanks Tim - must admit I do like painting thru the night...it just puts me on a different time clock to the rest of the world (is that a bad thing though?!)
Mark (still looking very fetching I might add ;)) - No I didn't see any poxy petrels. Gave it 3 hours and parked the car so I could poke the scope out the window (what a wimp!). Had a Pom, Scaup and a cool Short-eared Owl low over the carpark being mobbed by gulls so a few nice bits worth staying up for. Need a holiday!

Some very beautiful drawing here Ads - the characterisation in the first page of pittas is exceptional

characterisation is the very word- I must confess I've been lurking about in this thread trying to deconstruct what you do with eye shape to get so much of the character

don't start with a circle, unless you see a circle seems to be step #1

great stuff

Last edited:
what a master you are, the outlines are so clean, sure and descriptive not generalized.

and the attitudes and aliveness are there from the very beginning.

BTW.....I love dots, 3 reasons, laziness, (don't have to period, shift, cap,) and dots are a way of letting the reader have some space to fill in their own meanings and catch a breather for a moment in the "conversation", last it is nice looking to my eye on the page, some space and offset that pleases me visually

Just found another couple from Kingfisher Park, not more pittas this time User though...you'll have to wait as it's not good for you to get them all at once! ;) Another cracking bird that came just closer and closer the stiller (is that a word??) you sat....(Uh oh, the dots are a-catching.... noooooooo!:-O)

View attachment 230548View attachment 230549

Chuckle...! I see that my devilish plan to take over the world with 'dots'......seems to be working;)

Thanks for putting the pitta pic's on this thread for me to peruse Birdyboy...:t: Luv 'em!
Pitta's that show themselves tooo easily...[tho always impressive]...are never as desired or as valued as the one's that you REALLY have to work for...the 'skulkier' the better...[is 'skulkier' is a word?...i don't care if it is or not...it works for me]..! Grammer rebels rule.....;)

ps....'Stiller'......in my opinion.......his best film was Zoolander.....

pps.....gotta go now....i have to take care of some roast spuds as they are not going to baste themselves....[i think they are just lazy]....

what a master you are, the outlines are so clean, sure and descriptive not generalized.

and the attitudes and aliveness are there from the very beginning.

BTW.....I love dots, 3 reasons, laziness, (don't have to period, shift, cap,) and dots are a way of letting the reader have some space to fill in their own meanings and catch a breather for a moment in the "conversation", last it is nice looking to my eye on the page, some space and offset that pleases me visually

Exactly Colleen......[regards dots].....that's why i use them....[addictive isn't it]....;)?

ps...Tim....liked the 'couch' potato bit....! [and if my nose is not deceiving me...i think my dinner is about done]......tis time to 'tuck in'...and for me to 'tuck off'.....:t:

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back