• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

25 year old nikon scope (1 Viewer)

Mark A Spedding

Hello all,

My father-in-law has recently reignited his passion for birding. Back in the day he had (and still has) a nikon scope. It's in good nick and optically ok, so I don't think there's a big need for him to shell out 2k+ for a new one.
The one snag is that the only eyepiece he has is 20x mag - ideally he would like something with a little more reach.
If anyone has such an eyepiece that they would like to sell, or knows anyone that still stocks them then I would be interested in getting such an eyepiece for my father-in-law.
The scope looks like a 70mm type one in green rubber armour, other than that I can't see a model number. He bought it around 25 years ago.
Here's hoping then!

Mark

A picture would nail the model.

Have you actually measured the Objective. I can't think of any 70mm model.

It sounds like the Nikon spotting scope which also had a 15-45x zoom available back in the day. Hard to come by now I would think, so he may have to shell out after all!

Does it have triangle markings down the sides?

Have you actually measured the Objective. I can't think of any 70mm model.

It sounds like the Nikon spotting scope which also had a 15-45x zoom available back in the day. Hard to come by now I would think, so he may have to shell out after all!

Didn't the old Nikon spotting scope have blackish armour? It was a 60mm scope with a 20x and a 15-45x eyepiece as far as I remember.

Hermann

Hello all,

My father-in-law has recently reignited his passion for birding. Back in the day he had (and still has) a nikon scope. It's in good nick and optically ok, so I don't think there's a big need for him to shell out 2k+ for a new one.
The one snag is that the only eyepiece he has is 20x mag - ideally he would like something with a little more reach.
If anyone has such an eyepiece that they would like to sell, or knows anyone that still stocks them then I would be interested in getting such an eyepiece for my father-in-law.
The scope looks like a 70mm type one in green rubber armour, other than that I can't see a model number. He bought it around 25 years ago.
Here's hoping then!

Mark

I have one if it is for the 60mm green rubber armoured one.

Stephen

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back