• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

RSPB bird identifier. (1 Viewer)

BeeJay2

Hello all. Below is the email I tried to send to the RSPB, but their "contact us" page is a nightmare. I had to put it in a comments page. I think my statement will be self explanatory, which reads.

Why fix something that ain't broken. I refer to the online bird identifier.
Previously to identify a bird it was very quick to enter a single detail on the RSPB site, ie app size between a sparrow & robin, or a Bullfinch & a blackbird etc, to then get a list of images to compare. Now we get an A to Z which is pointless. The clue is/was in the title "bird identifier" the A to Z doesn't do that, images do. Now when we spot a garden bird, we are asked to give size, colours, beak colour etc etc etc. Whereas previously a quick visual of the bird was sufficient to then go the the site, enter minimum details to get the images to compare. As I say, "Why change something that's isn't broken" the RSPB site for that information is now totally pointless. The RSPB "contact us" is equally pointless, as it's not a straight forward email address. Can anyone guide me to a similar site to the once superb RSPB identifier?
Thanks in anticipation.

Rant over!

Last edited:
Ditto

Stopped using it, and gone back to my John Killbracken's The Easy Way to Bird Identification for the quick and dirty check, followed by Macmillan Guide to Bird Identification or other specific books.
RSPB seems to be moving from its original aims. I am still not happy about the amount of money dropped on a TV advert that actually had next to nothing to do with birds, so may be biased.
If they want to change their charter and take over from the county Wildlife Trusts, so be it, but take the 'B' from 'RSPB' and make it 'N' for 'Nature' but be up front about it. Use the money wisely, and keep the online bits that work.

See you've incited me to rant now 8-P

At great risk of being stopped for going 'off piste', I must say I agree. As a long-standing RSPB member, I grow weary of the endless begging letters and cold calls(!) asking for yet more money!! Whilst I applaud much of the work that they have done in the past, RSPB reserves are now little more than zoos, sucking the wildlife (and birders) out of the surrounding areas and leaving these open to development; essentially they are money-making machines carrying a respectable conservation banner.

Another rant over!

RB

I once asked the RSPB why their website details for reserves didn't contain a map for each reserve, showing hides, access, entry points etc. which would have been so helpful in making plans in advance for visiting - my reason being, a friend does a lot of travelling for work and we were scheming that he could drop me at a reserve in the morning, then pick me up on his way home, perhaps, depending on timing, from a pre-agreed hide (he's a bit of a birder too). Now, I thought it would be simple for them to upload maps to their website for this, and it makes life easier for visitors like me. Their response: contact the site wardening staff for a map! Like they haven't got enough to do all day without constantly answering emails requesting maps and the like. Short-sighted on their part.
I also agree with the above comments about the cost of tv adverts and the like, money which would be better served being spent on conservation. But, I did recently hear that the days of them pestering members and the like for more donations will be coming to an end with the new law about sending out unsolicted mailings. They will only be able to contact you for donations etc. if you opt IN to receive them. They see this as a huge money stream loss, and word on the street is that they are being told they have to save in excess of £10M this year as a result. This will lead to changes on reserves and spending, and from what I hear a reduction in temporary summer wardening staff appointments.
I recently heard that a reserve officer bidding for, what in RSPB terms was peanuts, for some survey work on one of their sites was refused, because it wasn't bird orientated enough! And yet think about their tv advert and how they are supposedly promoting all wildlife. And birds need to eat something...
Doesn't solve the above issues with their identifier but may mean fewer people to monitor and manage what the organisation probably perceives as less important parts of their operations.
All in all, makes me wonder where the RSPB is going.

rant over!

I am aware of their contribution to articles, and I applaud them for that.
It does not in any way move me away from my rant, nor from some of the other comments above.
If they'd dropped 750K on a paper campaign of advertising, rather than 3000k (not that I can confirm the exact amount, just that its the generally mooted amount) on the generalist nature tv advertising. they'd have had 2250 more for scientific and conservation work.
I am still a member, I still support them, I just feel that sometimes they are wayward (my opinion)
Also, regarding small scale profligacy, it has taken us 33 months of letters, returned magazines and phone calls to get them to remove the previous but one occupier of our house from their mailing list. How many others have the same issue - it all adds up.

If they'd dropped 750K on a paper campaign of advertising, rather than 3000k (not that I can confirm the exact amount, just that its the generally mooted amount) on the generalist nature tv advertising. they'd have had 2250 more for scientific and conservation work.

They probably did some market research and considered that a TV advertising campaign would generate more income, even taking into account the extra cost compared to paper.

All the above is very interesting, but that doesn't sort out my "rant" as I still can't get images of varying sizes of garden birds, to be able to quickly identify the little beauties. I have the books etc, but the RSPB "shortcut" was perfect for my needs. |:mad:|

All the above is very interesting, but that doesn't sort out my "rant" as I still can't get images of varying sizes of garden birds, to be able to quickly identify the little beauties. I have the books etc, but the RSPB "shortcut" was perfect for my needs. |:mad:|

Sorry to hijack the thread, BeeJay2, that was rude of me.

In honesty I have been searching for a similar site but to no avail. I will continue to look, and if I find anything (there must be something) I will post back.

Harry

Hi Harry, no need to apologise, it can get quite interesting when threads sometimes go "off piste" it all adds to the structure & interest. I'll do likewise if I find what we are looking for. Watch this space.

Only highlight is that I have two screens and one had the Panama Fruit Feeder Bird Cam whilst I was browsing the other.
Sorry BeeJay, giving up now. :stuck:
Harry

To the person who started this thread, the rspb site has both what you want (the identifier) and the a-z.

See the screenshot attached and go to website. Select "identify a bird".

You don't need to enter every option you mention. A simple size entry is enough if necessary.

Cheers.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2018-02-15-23-09-50.jpg
    Screenshot_2018-02-15-23-09-50.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:
Well, that is soooooo weird. Tims link took me to the same RSPB site that I'd already created a shortcut for, which now works as intended? but seriously, it didn't prior to my original post.
Arriving at the site, no matter what I selected, I ended up at the A-Z, hence my misguided rant. It must have been a serious "senior moment" crickey it ain't rocket science.
Nice one Tim.

Well, that is soooooo weird. Tims link took me to the same RSPB site that I'd already created a shortcut for, which now works as intended? but seriously, it didn't prior to my original post.
Arriving at the site, no matter what I selected, I ended up at the A-Z, hence my misguided rant. It must have been a serious "senior moment" crickey it ain't rocket science.
Nice one Tim.

I had not included that it was not working, as I was concerned I'd had a senior moment...
I am with you, and wonder if has been "fixed".
Harry

Users who are viewing this thread

Back