• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

What binoculars do you think have the most WOW factor! (1 Viewer)

Re EDJ's post. I think the "wow" experience meant by the original poster and most others above here is something you would get with a particular bin even when the content of the image does not specially interest the viewer: e.g. tree bark, blades of grass, street lamps, in Frank's post.

Posted a query above on what causes "wow" in a bin. Response not overwhelming. Rpeating one point, reworded: Does the best level of all-round optical quality always cause "wow"? If some specific model you have looked through is of such quality and it has not given that experience (which you had with other bins) what is lacking in it?

Last edited:
I purchased an 8x30W Habicht online 2 months ago from this vendor in Germany.

http://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/product_info.php/info/p1934_Swarovski-Habicht-8x30-W---traditional-porro-prism-binoculars.html

If you divide the price by 1.19 you will get the export price then add 47 Euros for UPS express (to Australia).

It is a wonderful binocular and delightfully compact as Steve said. I am hoping to buy a Nikon 8x30 EII next week in Singapore. Dennis kindly gave me the contact in HK but it looks like I will get to pick one up in person as I will be travelling home via Singapore.

I normally use a porro for most of my birding and if using a 8x it's usually one of the following: 8x30 EII, 8x32 SE, 8x30 Habicht and occasionally the Opticron 8x32 SR GA.

I mentioned the Habicht as having the bigger wow factor for a couple of reasons. First and foremost is the absolutely stunning on axis resolution. Whether I'm testing resolution from the bench during the day or splitting a difficult double star at night I've found the Habicht to be about at as good as it gets a 8x.

The other thing that wows me about the Habicht is that all that optical performance is contained in such a diminutive but obviously mechanically rugged package. The little Swaro exudes quality from top to bottom and has the added bonus of being one of the few conventional center focus porros that is completely waterproof. This waterproofing does lead to the one thing some people might find problematic with the Habicht which is the amount of effort required to focus. I don't find it a problem but my wife mentioned how stiff the focus was when using the Habicht one evening.

As to your question whether or not I liked the Habicht better than the SE I would have to hedge and say it depends. The SE offer better edge performance and a little smoother focus while the Habicht offers better on axis resolution in a smaller/lighter package that is fully waterproof. I have the luxury of having several great binos on hand but for everyday birding I suspect I probably use my 8x30EII more often than not. In inclement weather the 8x30 Habicht or 7x42 EDG usually get the call although I've used the 8x30 EII tucked inside a Badlands bino case in some very rainy weather many times in the past without a hint of a problem.

The Habicht continues to impress me and I'm actually thinking about buying a 7x42 Habicht in the near future. I know it has a rather narrow fov but I really like 7x binos and the 7x42 configuration would be a great performer in low light. In regards to your other question about where I got my 8x30 Habicht I purchased it from one of our own forum members, proudpapa56. Proudpapa's store ,Honey Creek Bill & Beak, is one of the few places you can find the more exotic Swaro items like the Habicht porros and the extendable spotting scopes.

Steve
"the Habicht offers better on axis resolution"

Wow,than an SE! That must be an impressive binocular. You have an SE, EII and an 8x30 Habicht. What a threesome. The tight focus doesn't excite me because I hate tight focusers though but I would like to try one. I love the design and quality look of them. What is the FOV and ER on the Habicht?

Last edited:
I purchased an 8x30W Habicht online 2 months ago from this vendor in Germany.

http://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/product_info.php/info/p1934_Swarovski-Habicht-8x30-W---traditional-porro-prism-binoculars.html

If you divide the price by 1.19 you will get the export price then add 47 Euros for UPS express (to Australia).

It is a wonderful binocular and delightfully compact as Steve said. I am hoping to buy a Nikon 8x30 EII next week in Singapore. Dennis kindly gave me the contact in HK but it looks like I will get to pick one up in person as I will be travelling home via Singapore.
When you get your SE's let us know which you prefer. Interesting that you are picking up in Singapore. Do you know what you are getting them for yet?

Last edited:
The official price is $718 SGD (about $570 AUD) but that includes 7% sales tax and I'm hoping I can haggle a bit, maybe get a better case included or something. This model is not available in Australia at all.

You can buy an 8x32SE in Australia however it is $1132 AUD!

The official price is $718 SGD (about $570 AUD) but that includes 7% sales tax and I'm hoping I can haggle a bit, maybe get a better case included or something. This model is not available in Australia at all.

You can buy an 8x32SE in Australia however it is $1132 AUD!
Wow. It's expensive down under. There is an 8x32 SE on Astromart right now for $425.00. Why couldn't you talk him into shipping to AU.

Last edited:
Does the best level of all-round optical quality always cause "wow"?

If some specific model you have looked through is of such quality and it has not given that experience (which you had with other bins) what is lacking in it?

I think yes when conditions are reasonable, although if viewing conditions are abysmal then no optic can.

The two roofs I have look impressive initially, but in direct comparison to the Minox Porro they have an overall darkness and lack of resolution that is not hard to see.

Bh4_, thanks. Sorry I was not clear in one thing there. By "always" I meant not at all times but with all such instruments (of that quality).

Moving forward from that response, would like to ask more specifically from those who admit "alpha" into their optics vocabulary and are also receptive to the "wow" experience: has every alpha you looked through produced that "wow"? If not then why? (Just trying to figure out some things regardng optical quality!)

Last edited:
Bh4_, thanks. Sorry I was not clear in one thing there. By "always" I meant not at all times but with all such instruments (of that quality).

Moving forward from that response, would like to ask more specifically from those who admit "alpha" into their optics vocabulary and are also receptive to the "wow" experience: has every alpha you looked through produced that "wow"? If not then why? (Just trying to figure out some things regardng optical quality!)
Not every alpha. For example the Swarovision 8x32 and the Nikon EDG 8x32 although they have excellent optics don't wow me as much as the Leica 8x32 BN. I think it might be contrast and "snap".

Nice question about the WOW factor, I thought about it some time and I have the following list (in alphabetical order), but I realise that this list could have many more instruments which yield a WOW experience as I noticed when I walked through the optical museums in Jena and in Oberkochen and I will probably have an even stronger experience when we have the possibility to visit Peter Louwmans new optics museum in The Netherlands in 2013:
- Angenieux 7x30
- Asahi Pentax Marine 6x30 Porro in B&L construction
- Asahi Pentax Papilio 6,5x21 Porro
- Bausch and Lomb (1942-1944) 7x50 porro
- Bleeker Medibu 6x30 porro
- Ednar military (Leica made) 6x42 Porro
- Hartmann Compact 7x35 porro
- Hartmann Compact 8x30 Porro N.B. My impression is that Nikon copied the Hartmann compacts for its original 7x35 and its 8x30 E porro's
- Hensoldt-Wacht 5x35 roof (1905 or 1906)
- Hensoldt Jagd Dialyt 6x36 roof (1910-1918)
- Hensoldt Dialyt roof 8x32
- Hensoldt Nacht Dialyt roof 8x56, later produced by Zeiss as Zeiss Dialyt 8x56
- Kern Armee 6x30 porro from 1934, probably the first binocular with twist up eyecups
- Leitz Fernglass 08 lens binocular 5x40 (so-called Holland glass because of the Dutch inventor of the binoculars Hans Lipperhey. Sometimes one also sees these binoculars named as Galilei binoculars, but Galilei never invented binoculars and he never claimed that). Fernglas 08 was made by many companies and one can only see the difference upon looking to the inscription on it, so one finds Fernglas 08 made by Zeiss, Goerz, Bush, Voigtländer etc.) Very strong instrument and nice to see.
- Leitz Amplivid 6x24 (prism+mirror) with very large FOV
- Leitz Trinovids 7x35B AND 10X40B. Beautiful design and very compact
- Leica Trinovid 8x32BN
- Leica Ultravid HD 8x32
- Leica Ultravid 8x20
- Nedinsco Nedelta 7x50 Porro, extremely sturdy, originally made by Zeiss in Holland
- Nedinsco-Zeiss and Zeiss-Jena Silvamar 6x30 porro. Many many were made mostly under the name of Zeiss. This binocular was in production for many years
- Nikon 8x30 porro FOV 8,5 degrees (first E-model?)
- Nikon 10x70 porro
- Optolyth 12x50 porro very lightweight
- PZO Poland 7x45 porro
- Ross porro-2 7x50
- Sard 7x50 Porro very beautiful to look at and to look through, B&L housing construction
- Swarovski Habicht 8x30 Porro
- Swarovski SLC new 8x30 roof
- Swarovski EL 8,5x42 as wel as the EL SV (I have not noticed any rolling Brock effect) roof
- Swarovski EL-SV 8x32 roof
- Swarovski SLC-HD 8x42 roof
- Swarovski EL Range 8x42 roof with built-in distance meter
- Tento Russia 8x30 roof
- Zeiss Jena model 1 porro 8x20 (approx 1896)
- Zeiss Jena Marine glass 5 and 10x25 porro 91896)
- Zeiss Jena porro Turmon monocular 8x21 (1921)
- Zeiss Jena 7x50 RLN porro, first civil binocular produced from military binocular design after WW-2 (1944-1945). Was probably used for the design and production of the 7x50 Nedinsco binoculars.
- Zeiss Jena Notarem 8x32 roof
- Zeiss mini roof 6x21 (1971)
- Zeiss Nautic Dialyt 6x42 roof (first binocular with phase correction coating in 1988)
- Zeiss Dialyt 7x42 roof, splendid instrument
- Zeiss Dialyt 8x56 roof, see also Hensoldt Nacht Dialyt 8x56
- Zeiss Victory roof FL 7x42 and 8x42

Gijs, That is a fine list.

Which are the 8 x 30 roof Tentos?
There are Fotons roof 7 x 35 and 8 x 30 Porros.
Do you have a photo of a 8 x 30 roof?

For me there is really only one Wow binocular. The 18 x 50 Canon IS.
But the other would be the Canon 15 x 50 Is.
As optical hand held instruments I know of nothing better in actual use, admitedly for astronomy, but also aircraft and anything unkown in the sky.
Wide field binoculars also can have a Wow factor.

Binastro,
The Tento 8x30 is not a roof but a porro, I made a mistake there.
Yes I know the Fotons and I like them: lightweight, good optics,slightly yellow color reproduction, focussing very smooth. Here you do not see them very often anymore. Do you want a photo of the Foton roofs?
I know the Canon image stabilizers also,they are very convenient with a rock steady image and good image quality, but I decided not to buy one because of their weight. And there was something else: the electrical circuit to steer the image stablising system made a noise with high frequency, which I found not pleasant for my ears. There is one advantage, though: when you grow older you can not hear this frequency anymore, but I have not waited for that to occur.
Gijs

Nice question about the WOW factor, I thought about it some time and I have the following list (in alphabetical order), but I realise that this list could have many more instruments which yield a WOW experience as I noticed when I walked through the optical museums in Jena and in Oberkochen and I will probably have an even stronger experience when we have the possibility to visit Peter Louwmans new optics museum in The Netherlands in 2013:
- Angenieux 7x30
- Asahi Pentax Marine 6x30 Porro in B&L construction
- Asahi Pentax Papilio 6,5x21 Porro
- Bausch and Lomb (1942-1944) 7x50 porro
- Bleeker Medibu 6x30 porro
- Ednar military (Leica made) 6x42 Porro
- Hartmann Compact 7x35 porro
- Hartmann Compact 8x30 Porro N.B. My impression is that Nikon copied the Hartmann compacts for its original 7x35 and its 8x30 E porro's
- Hensoldt-Wacht 5x35 roof (1905 or 1906)
- Hensoldt Jagd Dialyt 6x36 roof (1910-1918)
- Hensoldt Dialyt roof 8x32
- Hensoldt Nacht Dialyt roof 8x56, later produced by Zeiss as Zeiss Dialyt 8x56
- Kern Armee 6x30 porro from 1934, probably the first binocular with twist up eyecups
- Leitz Fernglass 08 lens binocular 5x40 (so-called Holland glass because of the Dutch inventor of the binoculars Hans Lipperhey. Sometimes one also sees these binoculars named as Galilei binoculars, but Galilei never invented binoculars and he never claimed that). Fernglas 08 was made by many companies and one can only see the difference upon looking to the inscription on it, so one finds Fernglas 08 made by Zeiss, Goerz, Bush, Voigtländer etc.) Very strong instrument and nice to see.
- Leitz Amplivid 6x24 (prism+mirror) with very large FOV
- Leitz Trinovids 7x35B AND 10X40B. Beautiful design and very compact
- Leica Trinovid 8x32BN
- Leica Ultravid HD 8x32
- Leica Ultravid 8x20
- Nedinsco Nedelta 7x50 Porro, extremely sturdy, originally made by Zeiss in Holland
- Nedinsco-Zeiss and Zeiss-Jena Silvamar 6x30 porro. Many many were made mostly under the name of Zeiss. This binocular was in production for many years
- Nikon 8x30 porro FOV 8,5 degrees (first E-model?)
- Nikon 10x70 porro
- Optolyth 12x50 porro very lightweight
- PZO Poland 7x45 porro
- Ross porro-2 7x50
- Sard 7x50 Porro very beautiful to look at and to look through, B&L housing construction
- Swarovski Habicht 8x30 Porro
- Swarovski SLC new 8x30 roof
- Swarovski EL 8,5x42 as wel as the EL SV (I have not noticed any rolling Brock effect) roof
- Swarovski EL-SV 8x32 roof
- Swarovski SLC-HD 8x42 roof
- Swarovski EL Range 8x42 roof with built-in distance meter
- Tento Russia 8x30 roof
- Zeiss Jena model 1 porro 8x20 (approx 1896)
- Zeiss Jena Marine glass 5 and 10x25 porro 91896)
- Zeiss Jena porro Turmon monocular 8x21 (1921)
- Zeiss Jena 7x50 RLN porro, first civil binocular produced from military binocular design after WW-2 (1944-1945). Was probably used for the design and production of the 7x50 Nedinsco binoculars.
- Zeiss Jena Notarem 8x32 roof
- Zeiss mini roof 6x21 (1971)
- Zeiss Nautic Dialyt 6x42 roof (first binocular with phase correction coating in 1988)
- Zeiss Dialyt 7x42 roof, splendid instrument
- Zeiss Dialyt 8x56 roof, see also Hensoldt Nacht Dialyt 8x56
- Zeiss Victory roof FL 7x42 and 8x42
Wow! What a collection. No Nikon 8x30 EII's or Nikon 8x32 SE's though? How are the Leitz Trinovids 7x35B compared to the Leica 8x32 BN's? How about the Leitz Amplivid 6x24. What do you think of the Swarovski Habicht 8x30 Porro.

In The Netherlands and in some other European countries you better not buy Nikon to avoid that you become unhappy for the rest of your life because of the very bad after sales service among others. Another example: I asked more than a week ago the price of the new Nikon SEII and the Nikon SE but the company which imports these binoulars in The Netherlands still could not give me these prices. But there is some more misery: the photoshops in The Netherlands give large discounts on Nikon binoculars, so that the price drops to values lower than the price which binocular stores have to pay as net price, so they can not earn a penny by selling Nikon. Another thing that amazes me is Nikon's choice to produce excellent quality binoculars made in Japan and at the same time producing low quality binoculars made in China. I understand that Nikon employees also have to survive, but this choice does affect its quality reputation in my humble opinion.
The Leitz Trinovid 35B's are much smaller than the Leica 8x32 BN and its optical quality, although good, is not so good as that of the BN Trinovid. Moreover it does not have a phase correction coating yet. The BN Trinovid was very well known for its optical quality, so that is no surprise. But the handling of the 7x35 is really excellent: small, very nice design, fits easily in your hands (also in small ladies hands) and in the pocket of your coat. Although I like the optical quality of the Leica Trinovid BN I appreciate its handling properties a bit less , I get the feeling of carrying a brick in my hands.
The Leitz Amplivid is a very special kind of binocular, because of its construction with a mirror and a prism inside. It is only made for a short time and it is at the moment a collectors item probably. It is a small instrument even smaller than the Leitz 7x35, so you can take it to the theatre without being looked at as being a stranger.
I have investigated the quality of the Habicht 8x30 porro and at first I could not believe what we found. I have had many porro binoculars in my hands, but the image quality of the Habicht is excellent: very sharp image quality, bright and with perfect color reproduction. We measured 95% light transmission, but the latest ones come up to 96%, while the spectrum is flat as the Dutch country side (in the North, the south is more with hills to avoid confusion).
The only disadvantage of the Habicht we found is the somewhat higher turning resistance of the focussing wheel, but that has probably to do with the watertight construction of it. Another advantage of the Habicht is the small weight and its compactness. If I had not been asked to investigate the performance of the Habicht 8x30 I would not make this binocular one of my choices. I simply did not know it was such an excellent instrument.
Gijs

Dear Gijs,
The Fotons are fine binoculars.
The 5 x 25 is fantastic despite what I read here in an old post. It is actually 5 x 30 but must be vignetted somehow as the Russians are accurate in their specifications.
It has excellent resolution, far better than some other low power binoculars.
The 7 x 35 and 10 x 40 are also very good.

Binastro,
I have seen and used both the 7x35 (which I liked most) and the 10x40. However I do not know the 5x25, is is also a roof prism binocular or is it a Porro?
Gijs

In The Netherlands and in some other European countries you better not buy Nikon to avoid that you become unhappy for the rest of your life because of the very bad after sales service among others. Another example: I asked more than a week ago the price of the new Nikon SEII and the Nikon SE but the company which imports these binoulars in The Netherlands still could not give me these prices. But there is some more misery: the photoshops in The Netherlands give large discounts on Nikon binoculars, so that the price drops to values lower than the price which binocular stores have to pay as net price, so they can not earn a penny by selling Nikon. Another thing that amazes me is Nikon's choice to produce excellent quality binoculars made in Japan and at the same time producing low quality binoculars made in China. I understand that Nikon employees also have to survive, but this choice does affect its quality reputation in my humble opinion.
The Leitz Trinovid 35B's are much smaller than the Leica 8x32 BN and its optical quality, although good, is not so good as that of the BN Trinovid. Moreover it does not have a phase correction coating yet. The BN Trinovid was very well known for its optical quality, so that is no surprise. But the handling of the 7x35 is really excellent: small, very nice design, fits easily in your hands (also in small ladies hands) and in the pocket of your coat. Although I like the optical quality of the Leica Trinovid BN I appreciate its handling properties a bit less , I get the feeling of carrying a brick in my hands.
The Leitz Amplivid is a very special kind of binocular, because of its construction with a mirror and a prism inside. It is only made for a short time and it is at the moment a collectors item probably. It is a small instrument even smaller than the Leitz 7x35, so you can take it to the theatre without being looked at as being a stranger.
I have investigated the quality of the Habicht 8x30 porro and at first I could not believe what we found. I have had many porro binoculars in my hands, but the image quality of the Habicht is excellent: very sharp image quality, bright and with perfect color reproduction. We measured 95% light transmission, but the latest ones come up to 96%, while the spectrum is flat as the Dutch country side (in the North, the south is more with hills to avoid confusion).
The only disadvantage of the Habicht we found is the somewhat higher turning resistance of the focussing wheel, but that has probably to do with the watertight construction of it. Another advantage of the Habicht is the small weight and its compactness. If I had not been asked to investigate the performance of the Habicht 8x30 I would not make this binocular one of my choices. I simply did not know it was such an excellent instrument.
Gijs
The hard focus wheel on the Habicht sounds like a deal killer for me.

Dear Gijs,
It looks like a Foton but smaller.

In fact it is a roof prism just like the other Fotons but smaller.
Just weighed it 459 gm corrected with standard cloth weave strap.
118mm long
105 to 110mm approx wide depending on IPD.
FOTON thin metal? sticker on front white on black in english capitals.
It would not surprise me to see a cyrillic version.
BKFC on top focusser 5x25M also on top focusser.
Mine is as new althoough I use it for low power use.
Dipotre correction wheel beneath focussing wheel.

MADE IN RUSSIA. Year 2000, low serial number in yellow small numbers. IPD scale. All this on bottom of hinge.
All black. High quality finish.
Multicoated eyepieces compound.
Multicoated and single coated cemented objectives. As is typically Russian the coatings on each barrel are different colours.
Prisms uncoated.
This is a high quality binocular with very finely ground and polished optical surfaces, which is shown by its superb resolution.
Circular exit pupils to edge.
Pincushion distortion quite a bit.
Edge performance not good. From memory a curved field.
Cloudy now, but from memory 12 degree field.

I have tested it several times, might try again when or if clouds part.

I use this much more than the 7x or 10x as a good high performance wide angle 5x binocular is rare.
The only problem is that it smells like all the Fotons I have seen.
If it did not smell I would use it more.
It is a great 5x binocular.
Clear aperture 30mm but exit pupil 5mm.
I have probably had it 11 years.
Rubber eyecups.
Front and back caps.
I think it had a soft case, instructions, signed quality control certificate etc. but I just keep it ready for use in a cupboard.

Dear Binastro,
Thanks a lot for the detailed description of the 5x35 Foton, it looks like an interesting binocular, something to look for, what I certainly will do.
Gijs

Gijs

Gijs

The Habicht isn't that well known (especially here in US) and most people are unaware of just how great this binocular is as you were until you tested one. There of three of us who have the 8x30 Habicht over on the Cloudy Nights forum and the conspectus is that the Habicht is the sharpest binocular we own. I have some alpha roofs and many premium porros but the Habicht is the sharpest of current production binoculars I own. The only binocular that matches it for on axis resolution is an old Nikon J pat. 9x35 7.3*.

Steve

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back