• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Binocular (1 Viewer)

raniameid

Dear all, I need to buy a good binocular for birdwatching, I found these 2 items and I am wondering if they are good enough, and which one is better?

Nikon 10x50 Action VII Wide Angle Porro Prism Binocular with 6.5° Angle of View (Clamshell)

Nikon 12x50 Action VII Wide Angle Porro Prism Binocular with 5.5° Angle of View

I need to get something for a good price max $100.

Thanks

Greetings.

Get anything but those, they are very heavy things. In the Action series, try Action 8x40 or 7x35.

If you want 10x, eventually, get some 10x42 roof prism model. Pentax or Nikon or other. They are lighter and easier to handle than the porros, the Actions.

If these are Nikon's basic Action Porro Prisms and if you have to wear glasses when you use binoculars, then you might find that their eye relief is a bit short and you won't see the entire field of view. And there is also a "hand shakeing" factor for you to consider when you use high magnification binoculars. The higher the power of the binocular, the more your hand shaking will be emphasized when you look through through them. This can affect your ability to identify the birds you are viewing. Under these circumstances, 10 power may be better for you. Try an 8 x 40 binocular also, you might like it even better.
Cordially,
Bob

Ditto on what Bob and Tero stated.

In addition to the Action/Actino EX series from Nikon I would also suggest the 6 and 8x30 Leupold Yosemite as well as the Celestron Ultima DX 8x32. All are right at/around the $100 price point.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back