• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Ruby-Throated Hummingbird migration (1 Viewer)

aveschapines

Encantada de las avecitas que veo a diario.
They have showed up here! I saw my first female on Thursday, Sept. 15, and the males showed up on Sunday, Sept. 18. I'm seeing both regularly now, and they are fighting with the Magnificents and White-Eareds over feeder rights!

Helen

Are you saying that you have had no birds this summer and they are just now showing back up? If so, how many do you have around during the winter?

Are you saying that you have had no birds this summer and they are just now showing back up? If so, how many do you have around during the winter?

Ruby-Throateds don't normally winter here; I'm at too high an elevation for their preference (2300 meters, while they prefer 1500). They pass through on their way for lower elevations. Last year I had a lone female stay until late January. This is only my second year birdwatching (and I'm just coming up to a year of having a hummingbird feeder out) so I don't have observations from farther back. Local experts have told me that they winter at around 1500 meters and lower.

I have had plenty of White-Eared and Magnificent hummers all summer.

Helen

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back