• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Miami Hummingbird activity feedback (1 Viewer)

yippyskippy61

I am encouraging my mother in Miami to put up here feeders. I expected she would have no trouble at all attracting them. she has a mature yard with many native plants/flowers. I was just wondering how much activity she can expect. We are blessed with an ample amount here in Texas. I hope she can have the same pleasure. Anyone live in South Florida?

I was just wondering how much activity she can expect.

Almost none. She might get a rare migrant. You might think South Florida is a slam-dunk for hummingbirds, but historically most of it was everglades and the birds are very sparse. My parents have lived in South Florida for 22 years, and they've never seen a hummingbird there. The good news: you can see hummingbirds in flight cages at Butterfly World in Coconut Creek, just north of Ft. Lauderdale.

Last edited:
Hummers are here!

yippyskippy61 said:
That's too bad. Makes sense though. Perhaps she will get lucky.
Well I live about 3 hours drive away from Miami but I have been enjoying my hommers for a few years now. First, I thought they would not come here. My sister who lives in TN. and has loads of them visit her feeders every summer told me to put out a feeder with the red food coloring at first to draw them. I did, and withing a week they were here. After that just clear sugar water works. With all the hurricanes that have come through our area(Wilma just last week) I was so worried about them surviving. I put the feeder back out as soon as the storm passed. It wasn't but a few minutes they were back feeding from it. They looked like they had been through a wind storm. All kinds of birds were in our back yard shortly after storm. All the plants got knocked down and the only food at this time are the feeders. My hummers get here in late Sep. and stay up until April/May. So, don't give up hope for your Mom to enjoy these little jewels. Happy Birding!

Curtis Croulet said:
Almost none. She might get a rare migrant. You might think South Florida is a slam-dunk for hummingbirds, but historically most of it was everglades and the birds are very sparse. My parents have lived in South Florida for 22 years, and they've never seen a hummingbird there. The good news: you can see hummingbirds in flight cages at Butterfly World in Coconut Creek, just north of Ft. Lauderdale.

Thats far from the truth as Ruby-throated Hummingbirds winter throughout the state of Florida and in good numbers (in South Florida, Fairchild Tropical gardens is supposed to be a good site for Ruby-throats in winter). Here in Tallahassee last winter we had 6 species of hummingbird winter in town with Ruby-throated and Rufous being the most common (we had a female Rufous spend the winter in our yard) also Allen's, Black-chinned, Buff-bellied and Calliope. If you put out a feeder I wouldnt be surprised if you have a visitor or two.

check out these links

http://trochilids.tripod.com/winter.html

http://leon.ifas.ufl.edu/host_a_winter_hummingbird.htm

http://www.dfsgardenclub.org/wildlife/birds.htm

Quite true! I saw a hummer in my yard a couple of years ago, and that inspired me to set up a couple of feeders in my backyard here in South Miami a couple of months ago. It took me a good long while before I saw my first one, but the day after Hurricane Wilma came through, I set the feeders back up again, and within minutes had my first customer. I can now distinguish several different ones, and believe that I have several ruby throat hummingbirds, male and female, visiting my feeders regularly from dawn to dark.

So, go ahead and tell your mom to set up a couple of feeders in her yard. After Wilma, there's a shortage of blooms, and she's bound to get a hungry visitor!

BTW, the very first hummingbirds I saw up close and personal here in south Florida, was in the Everglades. The Anhinga Trail at the northern end of the 'Glades, to be exact!

Last edited:
Hi Hummer Fans, Pink Shovel here. I am a South Florida Native and have been enticing Hummers into my gardens for over 20 years. They appear in fall, winter and spring and I've have them in my garden near Old Cutler Road in South Miami-Dade County south of Miami and in my garden where I am now in Ft. Lauderdale.

So for the Miami Gardener there are some tips for how to attract them at my blog, if you are interested. Also, there's a cool picture of a hummer in the hand of a lady in Homestead which she sent via her phone just yesterday.

Check it out at www.greengardenersnews.com, if you are interested and happy gardening!

Pinkshovel

Ruby-throated Hummingbirds are absolutely abundant in South Florida in winter, particularly in the Miami area. I have recorded up to a dozen Ruby-throated Hummingbirds in Kendale Lakes Park using the many flowering orchid trees. The Miami and Kendall Christmas Bird Counts regularly record between 30-40 hummingbirds wintering every year in the count circle.

Hummingbirds are far from 'rare' in winter in Miami! You should be able to attract one with little trouble at all.

Carlos

When I first came to Miami as a Cuban Refugee in 1961-62 I was very impressed to see the large variety of wild birds. Specifically during resets at Shenandoah Jr. High (around Coral Way SW & 20something avenue) where I attended I could see Cardinals, and specially Woodpeckers. I don't recall the hummer but they were around too am sure. I left Miami for university in Gainesville and then took a job in Arizona. I have always been an environmentalist by heart having been an active member of the Envirormental Action Group and Friends of the Everglades. Upon my return to Miami in 1984 it became obvious that these birds were no longer available in Miami. I came to the conclusion that perhaps the more than doubling in size and the automobile traffic kills the birds, and I took it at that. Three weeks ago I went to Fairchild Garden I was with a couple that are also environmentally conciliatious.

I think that the problem is that in the large area of Miami we have change our gardening habits looking out for foreign plants and we are not growing gardens that attracts and feed birds. I live in Allalattah in a fairly large complex and I am currently working with the administration initially was to do butterfly garden, but am going to add bird attracting plants. And start sort of a volunter nursery to propagate this plants in large amounts and sell them to my neighbors at a discount. I believe that if we can start such a movement not only can we attract all those birds back but also the h ummers. We have to create a belt pathway of food plants. And am sure it can be done. Inspire your neighbor to do butterfly gardens and when they see the beauty of nature we can inspire others to attract butterflies and birds to our gardens and back to Miami. If anyone knows of any group with this soul goal in mind or if any one would like to start such group I am sure game and you can message me here or send me an email at franco33139ca'at'hotmail.com. propagating such plants is not all that expensive.

Hi Carlos and a warm welcome to you from those of us on staff here at BirdForum :t:

As an avid hummingbird watcher, I couldn't agree with you more. I hope you enjoy your time here.

Hi Hummer Fans, Pink Shovel here. I am a South Florida Native and have been enticing Hummers into my gardens for over 20 years. They appear in fall, winter and spring and I've have them in my garden near Old Cutler Road in South Miami-Dade County south of Miami and in my garden where I am now in Ft. Lauderdale.

So for the Miami Gardener there are some tips for how to attract them at my blog, if you are interested. Also, there's a cool picture of a hummer in the hand of a lady in Homestead which she sent via her phone just yesterday.

Check it out at www.greengardenersnews.com, if you are interested and happy gardening!

Pinkshovel

Did you stop blogging because I keep getting an error message when I try to open you page. Am using my Samsung galaxy dumbphone and am wondering if that maybe the problem. I know that these are old post. Am just hoping you get a message indicating new post have been added. Am old to butterfly gardening. But be caused I assumed the Miami traffic have been killing birds I never though about attracting birds. But am now studying and eventually get my neighbors to inspire themselves how many butterflies and birds my garden attracts. I placed the garden in my front yard where it will be visible to the public that passes by eventually. I will place noticing my neighbors, as I will be propagating this plants. Specially the monarchs there are three or four always flying in my garden and expect to intice butterflies, birds and humans to help help each other.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back