• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Ed's thread (2 Viewers)

well almost needless to say- extra paint on the Bearded Tit did it no good at all

so I've wiped it and marched on

nipped down Hobby lane midweek after work and (in addition to Hobbies being back hoorah) found that the hay meadow is so mightily flooded that there was a Black-necked Grebe swimming about on it and giving me the old three-fingered salute

I guess this crosses the line from painting to cartoon, but hopefully captures the moment of mutual surprise and general blazingness

Attachments

• q9 550 DSC_4338.jpg
    q9 550 DSC_4338.jpg
    106.2 KB · Views: 82
Oooh you are a naughty boy! That beardie was looking fine. What you need is someone to take your paintings off of you before you get all twitchy and start scrubbing them off the canvas, I'll pm you my address and you can send the first batch...

Mike

shame for the beardie, but at least the image lives on in digital form. The grebe is a triumph however!

I have to agree with Mike and Nick. You should ship works you're about to change off to randomly chosen members of the forum. And the grebe is a triumph.

As far as overworking works it's sometimes the only way to learn and progress but it sure can leave some disappointment in viewers. I'm sure the beardie will come back even better at some time in the future though.

And as I said, or Nick said, the grebe really is a triumph, a unique mixture of speed, improvisation and simplicity. I think someone made a a somewhat similar comment about Oivind's recent sketches. Now don't go touching this one!!

This Grebe is looking very good! A Black-neck not only in colours, but very much in shape. What kind of paint do you use for this?

hello there

I've been on acrylics for everything I do, since the kind and inspiring folk on here got me painting again about 4 years ago

although the one thing that has made a big difference is finding interactive acrylics that don't dry into a skin, so can be reworked and used a bit more wet on wet, even reactivated when dry [atelier interactive acrylics]

but it's high time I stopped improvising, and had a shot with some oils: that's a target for this year

hello all

things are looking up- have moved easel into a room with no carpet so another excuse for ducking the oils has flown away

meantimes still on acrylics, but trying to learn from using them like thinned oils

I had resolved to get the fine Wood Sands of May out of my system before moving onto anything else, so here's some work in progress

disaster is never far round the corner, so this time I thought I would scrub in the background, then get the birds sorted out, then go back to the background

so fingers crossed

Attachments

• q9550wsworking1.jpg
    q9550wsworking1.jpg
    175.9 KB · Views: 49
  • q9550wsworking2.jpg
    q9550wsworking2.jpg
    162 KB · Views: 77
Great progress on this, Ed! Nice composition, with the background (and foreground) really complementing the subjects and looking very appropriate to them.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back