• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

They are coming back! (1 Viewer)

bill moss

Hi folks,

longer-serving members will recall that I used to have lots (30-40) C Doves in and around the garden regularly up until '07 and then for some reason (we now suspect disease) the whole lot disappeared from the area and all that I got last year was the odd single bird and then only infrequently.

This has continued into this year until gradually over the last couple of months at first a pair, then 2 pairs appeared and stayed. Now I am happy to report that towards the end of last week I saw 8 (eight) Doves on the wires above and adjacent to the garden, and on another occasion 6 (six) on the ground in the garden.

Couldn't get photos showing all of them but here are a couple of shots (through the window) showing 7 on the wires (plus Woodies) and 3 on the grass. Today there were 6 again on the wires and a max of 5 in the garden.

It's fingers crossed time folks!

Bill

Attachments

• DS c dove7, woodie3 on wires 270809 .jpg
    DS c dove7, woodie3 on wires 270809 .jpg
    188.9 KB · Views: 22
  • DS c dove3 on grass 290809 .jpg
    DS c dove3 on grass 290809 .jpg
    285.2 KB · Views: 20
Good news Bill, I se literally thousands of them where we live, in fact it's difficult not to hit one when you drive anywhere as they are dozy buggers on the roads.

Hi folks,

longer-serving members will recall that I used to have lots (30-40) C Doves in and around the garden regularly up until '07 and then for some reason (we now suspect disease) the whole lot disappeared from the area and all that I got last year was the odd single bird and then only infrequently.

This has continued into this year until gradually over the last couple of months at first a pair, then 2 pairs appeared and stayed. Now I am happy to report that towards the end of last week I saw 8 (eight) Doves on the wires above and adjacent to the garden, and on another occasion 6 (six) on the ground in the garden.

Couldn't get photos showing all of them but here are a couple of shots (through the window) showing 7 on the wires (plus Woodies) and 3 on the grass. Today there were 6 again on the wires and a max of 5 in the garden.

It's fingers crossed time folks!

Bill

aha so that's where mine have all gone!!
Oh Bill you should see my poor garden, you'd think someone had been in with a plough. Those naughty boys have raked up all the ground under the plum tree and me just put some pretty pink cyclamens and a lovely pink penstamon, I wonder if they don't like pink!!
happy(ish) days
love
Rose

Hi Bill, I had about 6 in my garden until the sparrow hawk visit this morning now I only have 5, having first thought that she had taken a wood pigeon on closer inspection I now know that it was a c dove. I was told by my sister Rose Taylor that you could answer my questions. Do sparrow hawks stick to the same hunting ground, do they return to the prey if they are spooked and leave it, will the male be far away and do they mate for life and do they hunt at the same time.

Hi Sandra,

Didn't know that Lady was your Sister, we live and learn.

Sparrowhawks only pair up for breeding, otherwise they are solitary hunters and in fact Females have been known to kill Males; the Females are up to 25% bigger than the Males and can take bigger prey. Collared Dove is at the upper end for a Male, Females can take Woodies (though they have trouble carrying them, see below). The usual prey sizes are about

They will usually stick to the same hunting area so you may well see that Female again but you'll be unlikely to see a Male at this time of year unless that Female is on the edge of her hunting range, but maybe come the breeding season (April till about mid-June). Once breeding is under way the Female will incubate the eggs (usually 4-5) and the Male will hunt and feed her. It can take anything up to about 40 days from incubation, then the female broods closely for another 4-5 days with the Male bringing food; then the Female hunts also and they will both bring food to the young right through until they have left the nest (c30 days) and for another 4 weeks afterwards. Then they all disperse and you are back to single birds hunting a territory.

If you flush a feeding bird off it's prey it may first try to carry the prey away and feed elsewhere; if the prey is large it may not be able to do that and so it will leave it but may come back if the prey is left undisturbed for a while, in fact Females have been trapped returning to Woodies that they couldn't carry away. If it had just made the kill (or an unkilled strike) and hadn't started to pluck and feed it is more likely to simply leave and hunt elsewhere. A lot will depend on the abundance of prey in the area. I've had most of the permutaions at one time or another in my garden, including a Male carrying a Dove from one end to the other and then feeding even while I watched; a Male that I disturbed flying off from and then coming back to a Blackbird; a Female taking a Dove away altogether and another that I disturbed just as she had struck a Dove, flying away and leaving it badly injured (I had to put that one down myself, something that I hate to do but.....) but recently I haven't had the same number of visits, or not according to a lack of strike evidence (scatterings of feathers/plucking sites).

Does that cover it?

Bill

Hi Lady,

Hard luck, I presume that it's your Badgers digging up everything. Afraid I don't have any info on what colours Badgers prefer (chuckle). Think yourself lucky that you have them, the only Badger that I've seen anywhere around here in years was last week, dead on a road.

Bill.

Evening Bill,
yep, it's those naughty badgers, but I have to say the soil looks good if a bit dry. Perfect planting soil, it would be perfect for sowing seeds if the year was younger!
I do love having them you know, but I wish their manners were better!
Hope your well
nitey nite
Rose

I had 5/6 Coll Doves visiting regularly at the beginning of the year, then they went down to an occasional 1/2, but now there are 5/6 again. I expect more as the year goes on.

Baz.

I remember your high count of Collared Doves followed by their decline Bill. It's good to know their numbers are on the up again.
I have just one pair to boast who visit the garden occasionally. I love their gentle expression & always pleased when they visit.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back