• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Confirmation ID's Elmley Marshes (1 Viewer)

DalyanBirder

Some photos I took at Elmley Marshes today I have tried to ID them where I can.

Elmley-271209-a.jpg

I think this may possibly be a cirl bunting

Elmley-271209-b.jpg

Not sure about this one heavy crop and it was a long way away. Possibly a buzzard but the wing tips aren't right. Hope someone can get it from the silhouette.

Elmley-271209-c.jpg

I thought this may be a Knot

Elmley-271209-d.jpg

From the beak colouration and legs I thought this may be a redshank but the plain grey colour isn't ringing true with my book.

Emley-271209-e.jpg

A curlew? I have another photo showing the downturned beak

Hi, pics as follows
1. Reed Bunting
2. not sure on this one?
3. Grey Plover - note pale notches that appear as spots on the upperparts and short thickish bill.
4. Redshank - they can be quite variable.
5. Curlew - Whimbrel has striped head pattern.

Hi folks,

Every time I look at this picture I see peregrine! I can't put my finger on why - bit of a cop out I know. Tail seems to be a bit short for marsh harrier and I keep getting drawn to what looks like a hint of white cheek - although form this image I'm sure that it could be an artifact. I know that the long wings are not right for peregrine.... and marsh harrier is most likely but......

Perry

I think no. 2 is a Marsh Harrier. There are certainly plenty of those at Elmley.

Probably a male Marsh Harrier? Seems to show some grey in the wings.

Dalyanbirder, please check out this website:

http://www.kentos.org.uk/

Worth the £1 a month subscription!

Also, there's a few BTO Atlas 2km squares going free in West Kent; can you spare 8 hours (4 visits x 2 hours) next year to cover just one square?

Cheers,

Andy.

Hi Andy,

I have looked at that website. Trouble is I am moving to Dalyan in Turkey this February (2010) so won't be in the UK.

I am looking forward to the move as I have lots of nice bird areas near to my place there.

regards

John

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back