• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Focus direction difference (1 Viewer)

What about the strange Nikon lens bayonet system using f/5.6 setting also for more confusion.

I also bought an Olympus non working OM4 Titanium with f/1.4 lens for next to nothing at a charity shop.
My camera shop friend looked at it, flicked a switch and it works perfectly. Some claim it is the best SLR ever.
It is the people you know, not what you know that is important.

Have you tried using a Linhof 5x4 aerial camera or even a Vinten without knowing what you are doing?

I forgot about Contax, I tended to focus with that serated wheel thing anyway. For most photographers, the lenses they used were not long enough to be held in your hand as a cradle, just tried it on a Tele Elmar on an M3 - not a success but I did focus using my left hand so I support you on that.

The vast bulk of cameras people owned were fixed lens devices, an incredible number of different makes, and most were focussed by the right fore finger on top Agfa, Kodak and Voiglander producing particularly fine rangefinder cameras in the 1950/60's - Voiglander CLRs were particularly nice to use.

With longer lenses on slrs and interchangeable lensed rangefinders, I agree, my (well actually most peoples) focussing method changed, shooting and possibly winding on the right with your left follow focussing, I never actually cradled anything except folding cameras until AF turned up.

The challenge was to switch to an Exacta with the wind lever, shutter release etc on the left!

Agree with you Binastro with the OM4 Ti, one of the best cameras I ever owned, if not the best and Vinten cameras in the flesh seemed huge! I have a feeling that the f 5.6 thing with Nikons was to do with their external mechanical AI coupling for their Nikon F metering porro viewfinders. Others will know, I never owned one regretably.

Anyway there has never been standardisation, as this thread and others show humans are all different and cannot agree, which is why we have probably survived this long. So buy what works for you and have fun doing it.

Anyway I actually enjoy having bins that focus differently, have dioptre adjustment on the left eye for a change etc., but that is me.

Last edited:
The popular Argus Brick camera has interesting focusing.
You can even change lenses, I think by uncoupling the gears. Some are Soligor lenses.
In 1959 all I could afford was the Kodak 35 RF. It took photos, which I printed myself in a cupboard under the stairs. Gnome enlarger.
That also had I think a geared focus, and people think it is a very poor camera.

Never had a Gulliver's Contax, with thorium lenses.

I had a Zunow 50mmm f/1.1 lens for Nikon rangefinder and used it for one film on a Kiev 4.
I scratched the rear bayonet. The lens was brand new. The Russian bayonet is not quite right.

Also a 180mm f/1.3 Zoomar, with Minolta fit. There were many different fittings available. It took good pictures at f/1.3.
That was fun to focus hand held.

I don't mind which way binoculars focus, but I prefer diopters on the eyepiece.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back