• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Upton Warren (18 Viewers)

A few shots from Water Rail Hide

Just a few shots from the last couple of days. I've included a pic of 2 gulls with Yellow legs taken today. I'm guessing that they are not of the Yellow Legged Gull everyone is talking about but the more common Herring variety.

Simon P 8-P

Attachments

• IMG_3178-Little-Grebe.jpg
    IMG_3178-Little-Grebe.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_3324 Little Grebe.jpg
    IMG_3324 Little Grebe.jpg
    156 KB · Views: 92
  • IMG_3314 Curlew.jpg
    IMG_3314 Curlew.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_3302 Gulls.jpg
    IMG_3302 Gulls.jpg
    163.5 KB · Views: 153
  • IMG_3245Mallard1b-.jpg
    IMG_3245Mallard1b-.jpg
    156.8 KB · Views: 36
Last edited:
Just a few shots from the last couple of days. I've included a pic of 2 gulls with Yellow legs taken today. I'm guessing that they are not of the Yellow Legged Gull everyone is talking but the more common Herring variety.

Simon P 8-P

Simon,

Great shots, especially the Little Grebe and Curlew. It would be nice if someone could give an armchair tick on the Gull.

Peter

Hi Tim,

Thanks for your comments.

The Lesser Black-backed Gull in Rob's pics is too big to be a Common Gull and the mantle colour is also too dark for Common (of any form), even allowing for any photographic effects when compared with the grey of the surrounding B-h Gulls.

The Yellow-legged Gull is pretty much a 'classic' bird. When Chris showed me the pics on the back of his camera I ask him to email me some flight shots (or at least with spread wings) and this he has done to perfection.

I agree in the pic of it resting and looking to the left, the mantle does look too pale but looks fine in the other pics, so presumably this is just a lighting effect. Also, have a look at the tail band. It's black, well defined and solid which would be unusual in any European-race Herring Gull, the pink legs are typical of this age while the rather sturdy and blunt tipped bill, the solid bases to the tertials, the well marked pale panel on the upper wing, the dark eye, clean white head with a gentle (almost Common Gull like) expression all help nail it as a second-winter YLG.

Cheers, Brian

Looks too small to be LBBG from these photos, any more of this bird Rob?

The tail band looks solid and well defined but looks within range of Herring, but with the dusky axillaries and no 3rd generation coverts can this bird truly be 100% identified as a YLG?

Just a few shots from the last couple of days. I've included a pic of 2 gulls with Yellow legs taken today. I'm guessing that they are not of the Yellow Legged Gull everyone is talking but the more common Herring variety.

Simon P 8-P

That's not too bad a grebe shot Sy8-P but I thought we were not going to mention the YLGs!;)

Rob

WEBs count

M = Moors , SP = sailing pool, F = Flashes
GCG 11 (6 M, 5 SP)
Little grebe 2 (M)
Mute swan pr (M)
Canada geese 26 (20M, 6 F)
Teal 22 (6 M, 16 F)
shoveler 15 (M)
Gadwall 4 (pr M, pr F)
Shelduck pr (M)
Mallard 46 (18 M, 28 F)
Pochard 5 (M)
Tufted 51 (M)
Coot 100 (88M, 12F)
Water rail 1 (SP reed bed)
Oystercatcher 4 (2 prs M)
Avocet 4 (F)
Snipe 6 (M)
Curlew 16 (F)
Lapwing 24 moved through over Amy's (breeding 1 M, 10 F)
BHG 1000 (F)
LBBG c20
Herring Gull 6
grey heron 2 (1 M, 1 F)
Moorhen 20 (8 M, 12 F)

Last edited:
Looks too small to be LBBG from these photos, any more of this bird Rob?

The tail band looks solid and well defined but looks within range of Herring, but with the dusky axillaries and no 3rd generation coverts can this bird truly be 100% identified as a YLG?

This is all Tim. Extreme crops & no processing.

Rob

Attachments

• _ROB2348.jpg
    _ROB2348.jpg
    159.3 KB · Views: 51
  • _ROB2349.jpg
    _ROB2349.jpg
    165.9 KB · Views: 68
  • _ROB2350.jpg
    _ROB2350.jpg
    116.3 KB · Views: 59
To get a bit of a conversation going, to me the first gull looks like a dark mantled Common Gull (dare I mention 2w heinei) and the shots of the new 2w Yellow-leg look more like a argentatus Herring Gull

Bird doesn't feel right for YLG, head shape seems out, legs are pink, prominent window on the inner primaries and mantle shade seems more argentatus to me but willing to hear others views on this bird.

Also in the first picture of the Common Gull is that another bird sat on the island facing us or an over exposed Black-head?

Hi Tim
the first bird on the island is a bit too big for common gull, although colour is difficult to judge in photos it does seem a bit too dark on the mantle and scapulars, head also appears a bit too angular, to me common's always seem rounded which gives them a 'gentle' facial appearance.
The 2nd winter bird, if it was a herring would show translucent secondaries from underneath and the legs only go yellow in the last 18 months or so before it becomes an adult. Only my opinion though and who am I.:smoke:
Like you say its good to debate and it is always worth questioning and not take everyone's ID as gospel. I think we all have a lot to learn on gulls, hybrids will soon be appearing to add to the fun8-P.
B :)John

Last edited:
Apart from the Webs count, there was a lot of singing birds on the reserve, which included.
Mistle Thrush, song thrush 2, goldcrest, goldfinch, bullfinch, numerous reed bunting.
I also located 4 long tailed tits nests with several more possibilities, owing to the adults behaviour. If you do come across one PM me with its location but try not to linger too long near them.
I am following up last years breeding survey, with an emphasis on the areas where we have carried out extensive work.

Non breeders, fieldfare 25 plus 5 redwing on east side of Moors. Also rook my first of the year.

Also today Butterflies - Peacock, 2 x small tortoishell
and several very large Buff tailed bumblebees

Last edited:
Apart from the Webs count, there was a lot of singing birds on the reserve, which included.
Mistle Thrush, song thrush 2, goldcrest, goldfinch, bullfinch, numerous reed bunting.
I also located 4 long tailed tits nests with several more possibilities, owing to the adults behaviour. If you do come across one PM me with its location but try not to linger too long near them.
I am following up last years breeding survey, with an emphasis on the areas where we have carried out extensive work.

Non breeders, fieldfare 25 plus 5 redwing on east side of Moors. Also rook my first of the year.

Also today Butterflies - Peacock, 2 x small tortoishell
and several very large Buff tailed bumblebees

Chiff Chaff singing in the 'secret garden' this morning as well :t:

Education Reed bed

Des
I seem to remember you mentioning the deterioration of the top reed bed recently, maybe it was via email.
I had a walk in there today, see what you mean mate, it has almost dried out in places. However I think it is not beyond redemption. It needs to be raked off or burnt in sections as they do in Norfolk. There are probably 20 years of dead reed stems in there. I dug my heel into the ground and thankfully it is still wet in some parts of it. If we do have a say in the reserve in the near future, it is worth having a meeting to discuss the best way to rejuvenate it.
The bottom reed bed is being choked by emergent trees.
If anyone is interested to see what happens to an un-managed wetland, just take a walk through the area past the sandy heathland.

A few photo`s from the Flashes this afternoon.One of the Avo`s was "picking fights" and being territorial.Lets hope this is a good sign and this lot stay.:t:

These shots were all taken from the downstairs dept of the hide.IMO a much better angle for photography.8-P

Chris

Attachments

• avocet 5 copy.jpg
    avocet 5 copy.jpg
    170.6 KB · Views: 97
  • avocet 10 copy.jpg
    avocet 10 copy.jpg
    167.9 KB · Views: 96
  • avocet 9 copy.jpg
    avocet 9 copy.jpg
    201.5 KB · Views: 106
The Lapwings were looking good in the afternoon sun.B :)

Chris

Attachments

• lap 4 copy.jpg
    lap 4 copy.jpg
    253.5 KB · Views: 84
  • lap 7 copy.jpg
    lap 7 copy.jpg
    230.7 KB · Views: 93
Des
I seem to remember you mentioning the deterioration of the top reed bed recently, maybe it was via email.
I had a walk in there today, see what you mean mate, it has almost dried out in places. However I think it is not beyond redemption. It needs to be raked off or burnt in sections as they do in Norfolk. There are probably 20 years of dead reed stems in there. I dug my heel into the ground and thankfully it is still wet in some parts of it. If we do have a say in the reserve in the near future, it is worth having a meeting to discuss the best way to rejuvenate it.
The bottom reed bed is being choked by emergent trees.
If anyone is interested to see what happens to an un-managed wetland, just take a walk through the area past the sandy heathland.

The appearance of the reed-bed you saw today John has only occurred in the last couple of weeks, that's why I was wondering if the reeds had been deliberately flattened or some sort of wind vortex had sent the reeds to the ground.

Des.

Hi Tim
the first bird on the island is a bit too big for common gull, although colour is difficult to judge in photos it does seem a bit too dark on the mantle and scapulars, head also appears a bit too angular, to me common's always seem rounded which gives them a 'gentle' facial appearance.
The 2nd winter bird, if it was a herring would show translucent secondaries from underneath and the legs only go yellow in the last 18 months or so before it becomes an adult. Only my opinion though and who am I.:smoke:
Like you say its good to debate and it is always worth questioning and not take everyone's ID as gospel. I think we all have a lot to learn on gulls, hybrids will soon be appearing to add to the fun8-P.

Yer does seem more LBBG now, although still think that bird on the island in the first photo looks Common like!

Still struggling to see YLG in 2nd claimed bird, looks argentatus to me

Users who are viewing this thread

Back