• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Binocular id (4 Viewers)

Hi Binastro, enclose a barely readable logo. The other mantle is marked stadglas like a lot of them are. Used a scope by these makers early on never even considered they could have made bins. They are like Wray and others optically. The lenses appear completely uncoated but they have that precision bloom some old lenses seem to have! Might be easily dismantled and cleaned, there is barely any prism residue or fungal growth.

Attachments

• IMG_20170818_094150.jpg
    IMG_20170818_094150.jpg
    138.6 KB · Views: 157
Binocular id.

Hi M,
enclose further photos to aid id. Actually it reads jagdglas not stadglas, 8x50. The eyecups are really aged plastic, not bakelite as I originally thought. The body has been worn smooth by much handling.

Attachments

• IMG_20170821_110500_50.jpg
    IMG_20170821_110500_50.jpg
    133.2 KB · Views: 150
  • IMG_20170821_110537_1_50.jpg
    IMG_20170821_110537_1_50.jpg
    109.2 KB · Views: 156
Binocular id.

Hi all,
yet another pair of West German? 8x30 I know very little about! Hitschke, Rathenow, Genira.

Attachments

• IMG_20170903_143406.jpg
    IMG_20170903_143406.jpg
    132.3 KB · Views: 152
Emil Busch were in Rathenow.
They made some of the very large survey cameras also known as Zeiss survey cameras. 30cm square format with 20ccm Topogon, 50cm Tessar and 75cm Telikon lenses, all very high quality.

They also made lenses I think.

There were other optical firms in Rathenow, but I haven't heard of this binocular.

P.S.
See Rare Carl Zeiss manufactured Nitschke Rathenow Genira 8x30 Binoculars. £30.
Not sure how accurate this is, but look up Nitschke.

Last edited:
I can see see the first letter of the marking looks like H but it is actually an N, the name of the manufacturer being Nitsche & Günther, Optische Werke, Rathenow. During WW II the company was given an optical manufacturer's 3 letter coding but I'm not sure if they made any binoculars (if so would have been only a small number of 6x30 Dienstglas) during the war in addition to other optical instruments or lenses. According to a translation of German Wikipedia:

"By law, Emil Busch AG was officially expropriated in Rathenow after the end of the Second World War. The second largest optical operation in Rathenow, Nitsche & Günther, was also expropriated in November 1945. In March 1946, Rathenower optische Werke mbH was created from Nitsche & Günther."

Thanks LPT for your complete information. What highly cursive calligraphy they used in those times. This pair have that particularly obnoxious, etched on glass type, of fungus on the prisms. They also seem to momentarily, fog brown, nicotine cloud internally, very strange!

Last edited:
Thanks for that Binastro, it has not been back! Not for the faint hearted but this is how I got both pairs partially useable but not absolutely perfect. I did not want to dismantle and clean the prisms because the collimation was good and I personally do not have the expertise to realign their optical paths. I partially dismantled and removed the top plates without disturbing the prisms. The fungus was filamentous not etched as I originally feared. I filled the binocular up with very cheap supermarket coca cola and left them to soak. This can be repeated if desired. I then finished off the rinse with distilled boiled water and a tinge of very mild washing up liquid! I then put the glasses in a low heat oven, wrapped in an oven glove, for twenty minutes. Obviously keep an eye on them and do not over cook. This made a visible difference and might work with mould the same as it does with fungus infested prisms.There is always a residue left over with this method but when I gain the confidence to dismantle I will find out if the fungus leaves a permanent archeopteryx like latent image on the prism surface. I finished off by putting the binoculars overnight underneath a low energy bulb to really reduce the internal humidity. This is a last resort method for porro prisms infested with fungus, mould or mangrove mud and only my trusty Leica binoculars are impervious to the rainforest humidity. Appreciate Leica will not be offering me a technician's job.

Last edited:
Hi Byron.
Was it sugar free Cola or perhaps low sugar cola?
How did it taste after your procedure?

Would it work for toe nails also? :)

I bought 2 Minolta SLRs and on receipt I noticed creatures moving inside the viewfinder.
They walked in endless circles around the Fresnel screens.
I think 6 or 8 legs, They were small but active.
One camera had the rare Minolta 250mm f/5.6 mirror lens.

I placed the whole lot in the freezer at minus 18C for about 3 days. took them out for a day or so.
I repeated this 3 times.
But I still couldn't face keeping them, in case the creatures were just sleeping and might reproduce and infect everything.

So I gave the whole lot to a friend.

I should have kept the mirror lens as it now goes for about £700.

I have never bought anything again from this shop, as his warehousing is probably sub standard.

In minus 30C in the boot of my car a fisheye lens converter cracked as the front retaining ring shrank. It was an excellent device.
But I never had a Minolta lens break even colder although the plastic case and strap were very brittle and could have crumbled.
That is why Russian straps and cases are usually leather.

Kodak negative film broke hopelessly. Konica film worked fine.

I have done many stupid things in my life.

Hi all,
used low calorie coke to internally purge the binoculars.
One pair still have some fungus as after images on the prisms mainly in one barrel. The other pair have some water marks remaining from my unorthodox treatment. Still I am amazed at the quality of the 8x30 after this treatment. The dioptre eyepiece on the 8x30 just revolves pointlessly and does not engage. It seems to have stuck on a setting suitable for my eyesight.

Attachments

• IMG_20170911_142503.jpg
    IMG_20170911_142503.jpg
    191.9 KB · Views: 108
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back