• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Binocular id (4 Viewers)

Hi all,
just an update on my partially, tongue in cheek posting. This technique cleared away the mould. For the perfectionist, the watermarks still diffuse the light and flatten the quality of the image.This technique is certainly not perfect. Also these watermarks are probably likely to serve as miniature petri dishes for future mould regrowth.
If I did it again I would probably substitute white vinegar for the low calorie coke. This is certainly a last resort method only.
Also if you have felt or fibre sealings mostly on older models this method needs to be done with care. Some sealings will not tolerate multiple washings. For my part I have a box of mouldy optics that have been in the rainforest!

revolving dioptre

Hi all,
used low calorie coke to internally purge the binoculars.
One pair still have some fungus as after images on the prisms mainly in one barrel. The other pair have some water marks remaining from my unorthodox treatment. Still I am amazed at the quality of the 8x30 after this treatment. The dioptre eyepiece on the 8x30 just revolves pointlessly and does not engage. It seems to have stuck on a setting suitable for my eyesight.

If you unscrew the top, probably Bakelite, eyecup you will likely find three small grub screws which secure the dioptre to the lenses.

:-O I bet I can meet and raise your total, Binastro!

Amateurs—both of ya. You can get into REAL screw-ups as a pro! In 1988, I found out the field lenses in A CUSTOMER’S Bushnell Ensign were made of plastic. When I touched one with the acetone-coated swab, I quickly removed it. At least I pulled it away ... and pulled the lens out of my left hand. I WAS able to remove the largest part of the swab ... but not the 75-80 cotton fibers that liked being where they had been placed.

I had another good “bad example,” my customer enjoyed the better quality Minolta I gave him, and I became wary in repairing inexpensive binoculars. :cat:

Bill

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back