• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Upton Warren (17 Viewers)

Pre-work party JTB reports from the Moors Pool:

Little Egret, Little Grebe, Whooper Swan, Mute Swan 4, Shoveler 18, Teal 55, Gadwall 5, Shelduck 3, Pochard 19+, Curlew 10, Redpoll 3, Cetti's Warbler.

Later at MOORS
Little egret 2. Coot 60. Water rail c6 calling.
Fieldfare 4. Redwing 3.
Flock of 65+ finches in Salwarp probably all goldfinch
Greenfinch 3 at feeding station uncommon this winter.

SAILING POOL:
GCG 8. Little grebe. Tufted18. Coot 65.

FLASHES:
Teal 5. Shoveler. Greylag 2. Canada geese 25.
Lapwing 650. Curlew 10. Snipe 2.
BHG 250 roosted with a single LBBG.
Buzzard. BARN OWL appeared from the SE corner of 3rd flash at 4.41 and probably due to the strong wind rapidly flew across the Flashes towards the cuckoo hide.
Stock dove 40+ unusual for the time of year.
Cetti's by bridge. Pied wag 3

As I was walking back past the Henbrook hide, the Barn Owl reappeared and hunted briefly over the reeds before flying over corner of sailing pool towards archery field

Grey Heron, dressed to kill, at The Moors yesterday. Spring not too far away!

Attachments

• Grey Heron-5070.jpg
    Grey Heron-5070.jpg
    242.5 KB · Views: 81
  • Grey Heron-5075.jpg
    Grey Heron-5075.jpg
    301.2 KB · Views: 83
Later at MOORS
Little egret 2. Coot 60. Water rail c6 calling.
Fieldfare 4. Redwing 3.
Flock of 65+ finches in Salwarp probably all goldfinch
Greenfinch 3 at feeding station uncommon this winter.

Checked out what was probably the same flock last Saturday - two Lesser Redpolls with them but no Siskins

local merlin

i was driving up newland common road today back end of droitwich when a bird of prey went up and flew along side me for about 100 yards i was surprised when i realised it was a merlin, are they common around the area this time of year, never seen one round here before. cheers trace.

Today's highlights:

MOORS:
Whooper Swan---------------Curlew (10)
Snipe (1)-----------------------Little Egret (1)
Shelduck (5)-------------------Gadwall (10)
Teal (44)-----------------------Pochard (17)
Shoveler (22)------------------Little Grebe (2)
Herring Gull (2ad)-------------Kestrel
Sparrowhawk------------------Mistle Thrush
G S Woodpecker (2)-----------Cormorant (37)

FLASHES:
Lapwing (c600)----------------Barn Owl *. Flew in front of the sewage works at 16.54.
Teal (14)-----------------------B H Gull (c300)
Snipe (2)

SAILING POOL/SALWARPE**
G C Grebe (8)-----------------Greylag Goose (38)
Little Grebe--------------------Goldfinch (c60)**

UPTON WARREN VILLAGE
House Sparrow (min 10) whilst looking for Hawfinch in St Micheal's churchyard.

*The Barn Owl this evening was quite dusky in colour. Is this the bird that has been seen most days?

Des.

Today's highlights:

MOORS:
Whooper Swan---------------Curlew (10)
Snipe (1)-----------------------Little Egret (1)
Shelduck (5)-------------------Gadwall (10)
Teal (44)-----------------------Pochard (17)
Shoveler (22)------------------Little Grebe (2)
Herring Gull (2ad)-------------Kestrel
Sparrowhawk------------------Mistle Thrush
G S Woodpecker (2)-----------Cormorant (37)

FLASHES:
Lapwing (c600)----------------Barn Owl *. Flew in front of the sewage works at 16.54.
Teal (14)-----------------------B H Gull (c300)
Snipe (2)

SAILING POOL/SALWARPE**
G C Grebe (8)-----------------Greylag Goose (38)
Little Grebe--------------------Goldfinch (c60)**

UPTON WARREN VILLAGE
House Sparrow (min 10) whilst looking for Hawfinch in St Micheal's churchyard.

*The Barn Owl this evening was quite dusky in colour. Is this the bird that has been seen most days?

Des.

When I was seeing the barn owl before Christmas it was looking very white ..
But this could have been due to it always appearing just before dark. Lately it has been showing in relatively decent light and does appear duskier.

Last edited:
i was driving up newland common road today back end of droitwich when a bird of prey went up and flew along side me for about 100 yards i was surprised when i realised it was a merlin, are they common around the area this time of year, never seen one round here before. cheers trace.

Hi Trace,

Merlin is a good bird in the Droitwich area. I have only seen 2 around Droitwich and another 2 at Upton Warren. The area you describe is quite close to Lower Smite farm so it will be interesting to see if Steve Bloomfield reports one on his patch. I'll certainly be checking suitable areas near me. Cheers.

From the Moors Pool Andy P further reports:

Whooper Swan, 38 Teal, 20 Shoveler, 15 Pochard, 5 Shelduck, Little Grebe, 10 Curlew.

North Moors almost entirely frozen resulting in Water Rails being more visible.

Also caught up with Fieldfare at last.

Attachments

• 7D2_021120.jpg
    7D2_021120.jpg
    306.2 KB · Views: 58
  • 7D2_021123.jpg
    7D2_021123.jpg
    305.9 KB · Views: 33
  • 7D2_021125.jpg
    7D2_021125.jpg
    312.8 KB · Views: 43
  • 7D2_021151.jpg
    7D2_021151.jpg
    306.4 KB · Views: 51
  • 7D2_021152.jpg
    7D2_021152.jpg
    283.6 KB · Views: 47
Barn Owl again tonight at the Flashes hunted along the Hen Brook at 4:54pm as per Steve Whitehouse and Jared Tibbitts.

Last edited:
Very belated news of a Great White Egret at Upton Warren flew over the Flashes on the afternoon of 25th September last year - probably the same bird that the Lewis's had three day later and then at Westwood Pool on 29th September.

Gert reports from the reserve this morming:

Flashes - 32 Teal, c 120 Lapwing, Snipe, Peregrine.

Moors Pool - Whooper Swan, 5 Shelduck, 10 Curlew, Lesser Redpoll, Greenfinch, Little Egret, Cetti’s Warbler, Treecreeper by Salwarpe

Hi Trace,

Merlin is a good bird in the Droitwich area. I have only seen 2 around Droitwich and another 2 at Upton Warren. The area you describe is quite close to Lower Smite farm so it will be interesting to see if Steve Bloomfield reports one on his patch. I'll certainly be checking suitable areas near me. Cheers.

There's a very small male Sparrowhawk in the area often seen on Brownheath Lane and around Lower Smite Farm. He can look like a merlin at first glance.

That said there was a male merlin around about four years ago

Users who are viewing this thread

Back