• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

damage concern (1 Viewer)

Woody

Hi All,

I'm new to all this and I have a concern regarding adapters.

All of the 'tube type' adapters, whether home made or commercial, add the camera weight to the eyepiece of the scope. My worry is that, over time, the added weight, which the eyepiece was never designed to carry, will somehow 'pull' the eyepiece out of alignment with the lenses in the scope body thus causing permanent damage to the (expensive) scope.

It seems to me that any of the 'platform' type adapters would be a better design in the long run although, from what I've read here, it would appear that these are less practical in use.

Any thoughts on this from longtime digiscopers would be appreciated as I'm yet to make/buy my adaptor.

Woody

I'm only a short-time digiscper. Woody, but I don't think it's a problem - certainly not so far as my particular rig (Swarovski 20X60 zoom EP with Swarovski adaptor on an ATS80HD). The EP is very solid and attaches via a reasonably large metal thread. In fact, I suspect that the long-term extra wear is smaller than if I had a couple of different eyepeices and was swapping between them all the time.

Woody

I have been digiscoping for nearly five years now and in that time i have never heard of a problem with scope eyepieces either physically or optically

I started off on the camcorder which is heavier than the cameras my first camcorder was a Sony Hi 8 machine, a huge size and weight in comparison to todays new palmcorders. My Leica APO scope is still as good now optically and the bayonet fixing on the lens and scope as it was then, but it would be interesting to know if ANY of our members or visitors has had any problems ?

Rgds

Paul

I've been digiscoping for about 18 months now with my Leica APO 77/CP4500 combo and I am not aware of any problems.

I don't walk around with my camera attached to the scope usually but that is more to do with damaging my camera on overhanging trees etc.

Sounds like I'm worrying too much.

I've only just got the scope and now I realise what I've been missing out on all this time I'd hate to damage it in any way.

Woody

A common question over the years and fair enough when you've just spent a small fortune on a scope (the camera falling off wouldn't be much fun either!). My camera spends a great deal of time on the eyepiece (carried for many miles at a time), no sign of wear or damage.... other than my back :)

Right then, looks like it's the LCE adapter unless B&Q can come up with an answer...

Cheers All

Woody

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back